The Real Sand Pebbles?

Dirk

The grouping came with one of those China "certificates" so common in Shanghai....I don't have any additional info on this particular bar.

Apalosbar_001.jpg

Topcnut, kind of neat that you followed that tradition. Although I have no Navy background, so many scenes in that movie matches photos I have or have seen and much of the dialog matches letters in my collection. They really did a great job with that movie.

I'll add more to the thread hopefully tomorrow and add/cleanup the text

Dirk - Great post of a seldom seen era. Gunboat duty on the Yangtze!!!!! Yep, I'll watch the "Sand Pebbles" anytime I get a chance. I agree it was a wonderful depiction of those years in the 1920's and 30's. Thanks for posting the Chief's collection. thumbsup.gif

Bob

Kurt Barickman

Love it,

was turned on the movie Sand Pebbles when I was a high school student in the latter 1970s and now that I am the teacher I still show the movie on occasion to my high school classes. Thanks again,

Kurt Barickman

Rustykamel

I would suggest to anyone interested in this thread or who enjoyed The Sand Pebbles to ask local library to get them Richard McKenna’s The Left Handed Monkey Wrench. This book is a collection of essays that paint a colorful picture of life as an Asiatic Fleet sailor. McKenna’s description of a coxswain getting his motor whaleboat to shore, and cleaning out the inside of a Yangtze Patrol gunboat boiler, is terrific reading. The author also writes about the USS Gold Star, a ship that served in the Far East but wasn’t a part of the Asiatic Fleet. Why this is interesting, is McKenna’s view of why the sailors got along with each other so well. Thank you Dirk and Jon for a most interesting thread. Jim

post-397-1243008411.jpg

Thanks guys for your kind words....not really my area but I am struck by the similarities between this grouping and the movie. Here is a photo of one of the Guam's boats.....I wonder if it is the YangPat Commanders launch...maybe one of our navy guys can tell us.

lunch.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Geez how did I miss this thread - great pic's Dirk, my favorite is the hard core PO2 in post 10... evilgrin.gif

vicjoy1945

Hey Dirk,

I remember seeing The Sand Pebbles at the theatre when it first came out...what a great movie !!

These are fantastic photos !! Love em !! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing !!

Vic

Thanks Guys for your kind words! I wish I could take the thread further but the remaining pictures move away from US military interest so I am hoping someone else has YangPat stuff to share....Bob ;) maybe?

• 3 months later...
Some say McQueen did some of his best acting of his career in this movie, being able to capture the look and behavior of a gunboat sailor.....now compare McQueen with this member of the Palos crew.

Wow!

They DO look alike!!

Thanks for posting!

Luis Ramos

• 1 month later...