1888 - A Series of 30 Generals of the American Civil War

hhbooker2

hhbooker2
:rolleyes: Greetings & Salutations! In 1888 a British tobacco company issued a set of trading cards titled: "A Series of 30 Generals of the American Civil War." They inserted cardboard to keep the packettes of cigarettes from being crushed when carried in the pocket of a smoker. They felt they should put the name of their brand on the cards and then added pictures of actresses, animals, birds, butterflies, cats, coins, dogs, flags, royalty, sailors, sldiers, etc.! Young boys would hang out near a tobacco shoppe and beg the gentlemen coming out to give them these cards which they traded their duplicates with each other, some adults would also trade and of course the goal was to complete the set of 12 to 48 cards, also albums were made to house the loose cards. The first three cards shown obverse side with a picture and reverse side a description of the picture. In this case the first three are Union Generals Ulysses S. Grant, William techumseh Sherman, and Philip Sheridan. :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California [[email protected]]

post-837-1241390375.jpg

hhbooker2
think.gif Reverse of General Grant's picture, provides a brief description of him.

post-837-1241390444.jpg

hhbooker2
:unsure: General Joe Johnston's description on back of trading card.

post-837-1241462008.jpg

hhbooker2
:lol: Description of General Albert Johnston on back of card.

post-837-1241462144.jpg

hhbooker2
w00t.gif Trading card's description on reverse about General Early.

post-837-1241462464.jpg

hhbooker2

:unsure: General Joseph Hooker.

BLUE HAWK: Have to be my own cataloguer as I'm sure no one has the time to catalogue the books and trading cards and laser colour photocipies I acquired before eBay Austions came into existence and things were much cheaper, believe it or not? Those who emailed me at: [email protected] have received at least 1,500 or more scans of badges, insignia , medals, uniforms, etc., still have yet to scratch the surface of my extensive collection of ephemera. These little cards for instance cost more now for a single example than I paid for the entire sets years ago, believe it or not? QUESTION: How does a post get "PINNED" I should wonder aloud? :unsure: Sarge Booker of Tujunga

Once again, Sarge... your finds amaze me. thumbsup.gif

post-837-1241496853.jpg