Strange plexiglas ribbon bar

leicanthrope

leicanthrope

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It was a random find at a local antique store. The closest I've seen are some post war Soviet bars.

post-807-1175834762.jpg

post-807-1175834775.jpg

yes, that's a type used for a very short period, I believe experimentally, around the Korea time frame. I've seen a few of them around, including a PUC with a nice brass 'gilt' frame that could be removed for polishing

I too have seen one but it was on a WWII jacket. Of course it could very well have been a replacement bar. Who knows after so long a time has passed.

Gary

I think I saw a Korean service bar like this. maybe it's something done between the wars that had to be bought from a specific shop off post??

I've got one like this as well, but I was thinking more Postwar Occupation time frame rather than Korea. I'm guessing that Brig is right, probably an 'option' for your ribbons (kinda like the flat style stuff that is being sold nowadays) that was authorized for a short time. (If not authorized, 'winked' at by local commanders).

I have also seen another variety where there is a " Plexiglass dome " over the actual ribbons ( not painted like these ) . It has a magnifying effect. They were on an occupation period Ike.

Kurt

I have also seen another variety where there is a " Plexiglass dome " over the actual ribbons ( not painted like these ) . It has a magnifying effect. They were on an occupation period Ike.

Kurt

I've seen these as well, I think also with a Korean service ribbon... I think these were probably used during the occupation and inter-war years a little into Korea

the funny thing is, this is a one piece thing shown. So, unlike the standard ribbons where you can slide them on a rack and pin on battle stars in whatever combo you rated, the soldier here must have had to order the piece so they could paint the correct ribbons and drill the holes for the battle stars think.gif very curious

leicanthrope

The photo doesn't really show it, but the manner in which the plexi is cut and finished looks "homemade" enough to lead me to believe it wasn't an official item.

Nice ribbon bar. I typically associate these with the post '45 Occupation era and being of European manufacture. Not "official issue", but another example of the many private purchase items soldiers could buy from local shops.

Kurt

Nice ribbon bar. I typically associate these with the post '45 Occupation era and being of European manufacture. Not "official issue", but another example of the many private purchase items soldiers could buy from local shops.

Kurt

Take a look at some other varaitions is the U.S. RIBBON BAR SETS string on page 2. Certainly several I posted would be of occupation era. I am especially thinnking of the metal/enameled set or the clear plastic one on the Berlin Bde jacket.