2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

This belonged to the same "North China" Marine officer who owned the pre WW2 map case I posted on this forum earlier. G R NEWTON is stencilled on the outside and there was a cardboard tag attached identifying it as belonging to a Lt Col George R Newton with his service number and duty station....MARINE BARRACKS / GUAM / M.I. (Mariana Islands). There's also an old American Airlines baggage tag. This Marine retired, I believe, in the 1960's. Like all the 200+ "North China" Marines he spent all of WW2 as a Japanese POW.

This garment bag ( don't have a clue what the official nomenclature is) is the mustard tan color and has the WW1 vintage cast bronze hardware consistent with pre WW2 Phila. Supply Depot made items. I showed it to Craig Pickrall when I first got it and he has one in a green color shade and marked with WW2 date. This one is completely unmarked and looks earlier than that.

Attached Images

• MVC_012S.JPG
  • MVC_011S.JPG
  • MVC_013S.JPG
  • MVC_014S.JPG

#2 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Did you look inside the pockets? I have one of these and thought it was unmarked when I got it but later found USMC, the maker, and date stamped very lightly inside a pocket flap.

#3 henry2

henry2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,539
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

on the units flaps did they have pockets to hold boots and shoes and other items inside the flaps ..
and on the bottom of the unit there is a large pocket with two rows of pockets right..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users