The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

And another 1932 Soochow comes to the surface. This one was mounted in a photo album belonging to a 1st Sgt who was present for the first battle of Shanghai.....but the big benefit for me was the cert that came with it....enjoy

image.jpg

Here is the medal again. After a hasty post I wanted to re look at the medal today and compare it to my 1937. The size and thickness matches.

32soochow.jpeg

Also details of the back and the Honey Cart falling "E". An interesting variation of the medal with the two engraving guide bars.....This medal came out of a 1Sgt 's spouses album who maintained the family album while both were in Shanghai 31-33. The album and cert are good....but have not seen this guide bar feature before....anyone else have a similar Soochow?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I remember Darryl suggesting these were possibly made by a coin maker...I'm wondering if we'll ever get a definitive answer on that

Good pics, Dirk. Interesting variation. Wonder if these medals were initially made in batches and then later on order? The guide lines are something I have not seen before. Those 1932 SooChows are tough to find. Congrats! Bob

Thanks Bob! Was talking to Tim last night and we agreed at some point that smoking gun piece of info will surface....in a letter, a note or original box that will answer the who made these questions.

Dirk,

That is a very interesting Soochow Creek medal, I have never seen the engraving guide lines. The die seems to have been struck at least twice since you have the double impressions of the letters. Here is my 1932 Soochow Creek medal and certificate. These were also found in a Marine scrapbook. The certificate was pasted in and the medal ribbou was pinned to the page. I have seen a few Soochow Creek medals with the red white and blue ribbons but most seemed to be navy while this is USMC. There is also a picture of the edge detail. It is hard to tell but these medals might have been struck in two pieces and soldered together.

Dick

post-9487-0-34361000-1401895231.jpg

post-9487-0-34787000-1401895239.jpg

post-9487-0-81833300-1401895245.jpg

post-9487-0-22015700-1401895256.jpg

post-9487-0-70325500-1401895265.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Superb macros folks! Keep in mind THERE ARE variations in dies, thus medals. Coming from an old numismatist background of the 60s / 70s. Don't get hung up with intrinsic nuances of these dies /planchettes and yes I think there is a high probability of these coming from someone who was producing coinage, IMHO.

I think there were several dies made for the medal since there are variations in detail if you look through all of the struck (not fake cast medals) in this thread.

Dick

D thank you for weighing in! Maybe so on the coinage, local currency was faked so widespread in the country at that time no one trusted it.....am thinking any number of jewelry shops with a coin maker on staff could have been the maker. I have several guesses who might have been the maker....or makers

You guys are giving me the itch to star variation hunting. Unfortunately, had to trade my last Soochow towards one of those deals you don't let go by you. But I'm back on the hunt!

• 2 years later...

There is a USMC medal group on EBay now with a 40 dated Soochow Creek medal which I've never seen before now--item 222414353851 . It sold with a BIN OF $850