The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

Been hunting a 32 variant for awhile...and the variant with an EGA on the front. leads to the next question, same maker for the EGA vs Honey Pot variants, or different?

teufelhunde.ret

leads to the next question, same maker for the EGA vs Honey Pot variants, or different?

I am inclined to think, one in the same?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't sold mine, I still have it actually, prices were down below what I felt they were worth and considered it an investment piece

I've owned 3 original Soochow 37s...handled 3 or 4 more...I like this one, has everything on it I look for in an original

• 1 month later...

Thanks to member Adam R. I was able to add another SooChow Creek medal to my collection. He has posted it elsewhere on the Forum but I thought it should be here as well. The Soo Chow is a 1932 with an old replaced ribbon and brooch. It is acommpanied by this Marine's verified numbered USMC Yangtse Service medal. The SooChow is engraved on the reverse with the recipient's name and unit ("RK FORD CO. F 2, N D BN") and has been gold-plated. The recipient, Pvt. Richard K. Ford USMC was serving with F/2/4 in 1932 during his secomd enlistment and his second tour with the 4th Marines in Shanghai.

Ford's personal history in the Corps is intriguing. He enlisted in Seattle on July 9, 1927 having been born on July 4th, 1909 making him 18 years old. He completed boot camp and was inmmediately shipped out to China arriving 17 October 1927. On October 24, 1927, as stated in a letter of that date with the Subject "Fraudulent Enlistment" he was before his Company Commander, during which he admitted that he was actually born on Jan 1 1913, making him 14 years old! It is stated that "This man's general demeanor, his actions, and conversation, suggests underage." The letter references MCO #6, July 3, 1927 and states that "The provisions of the reference will be complied with."

Now the mystery. Common sense would suggest that as soon as his FE was discovered, he would be processed for a less than Honorable Dischrge and shipped home. But he wasn't. There is no further mention of his age in his records. He had minor infractions and some weak marks under Military Efficiency but at the end of Four Years he was declared excellent and allowed to re-enlist. He was denied a Good Conduct Medal. He completed his second enlistment in September 1935 which included a second tour in Shanghai as a Private.with Character "Excellent" and again was denied a GCM. In a 1950 letter to HQMC seeking a statement of service he stated his birthday as Dec 30, 1912 confirming the FE. He died in Alameda, CA in 1971. No further info on surfaced. Any Sea Lawyers out there who can figure why he was retained at age 14 hopefully will comment.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

soochow 02 B.jpgsoochow 04 B.jpg

Ford at age 14 - Enlistment Photo

SooChow Ford-19 B.jpg

rear

I am the author of the bio on the China Marines page and a relative of Larkin Burt. I would be happy to help you in whatever way. I will say he was the toughest human I've ever known...he was also highly revered in our small community. As a kid, I thought he was John Wayne! Feel free to email me at [email protected]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The fourth Soochow I've owned...and surprise, surprise, it's another 37 version. However, it's my first named one, to Clifford Marion Reinholdt, US Navy.

He enlisted in 1937 and served on a variety of ships during WWII including the Enterprise, Mount Vernon, Thomas Stone, Rochester, provenance and Franklin D Roosevelt. Just some of the perks of his story...

THe was on the Enterprise during it's air support response to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Though the ship didn't get to the Harbor until the 8th, it sent it's planes in to counter the Japanes attack. He also almost went down with the USS Thomas Stone when it was torpedoed. The ship didn't sink, but the crew was put out in life boats and had to be rescued from rough seas. And, he was aboard the USS Franklin Roosevelt the day it was commissioned

This medal has every characteristic known to the originals, and I am 100% confident of it

$T2eC16RHJHgE9n0yFlKjBRNOYHvEPw~~60_57.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Happy to see it arrived safely, another great example for your in Soochow collection and what a steal! That sailor went thru some tough ordeals in his day.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought you would be interested in seeing what the original cart on the Soochow Creek Medal was based on. This is a water cart not the "honey cart" on the medal but very similar. The photo is from a photo album that belonged to a Horse Marine who served in Peiping from 1934-1937.

Dick

post-9487-0-84821000-1389561145.jpg

• 2 months later...