The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

• 5 months later...

Don't know why I can't stumble upon rare EGAs, a George Medal... or even a different varient of this medal the way I seem to stumble upon the brass 1937...but here's another one I just picked up that is enroute...compared it to the images here and my known original and it checks out, I'm very comfortable with it. Even seems to have some 'jewelers rouge' on it...most likely going to be offered for trade

_B7Y8U___2k___KGrHqN__k8Ey_jC1vh8BM0DdzIC0g___12.jpg

_B7Y8Wk_BWk___KGrHqN__lMEy_jC0_ssBM0Dd3sp9g___12.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Don't know why I can't stumble upon rare EGAs, a George Medal... or even a different varient of this medal the way I seem to stumble upon the brass 1937...but here's another one I just picked up that is enroute...compared it to the images here and my known original and it checks out, I'm very comfortable with it. Even seems to have some 'jewelers rouge' on it...most likely going to be offered for trade

You got it at a steal! Looks to me like crayon, candle wax or the like... Nonetheless it will cleanup fine.

• 3 months later...

one that sold in a USN group on eBay for 2004...while it has many of the things I look for in an original, I don't like it. Think the planchet is in too bad of shape, too rough looking, for something with such a good condition ribbon...and it's lacking some of the other features

sooch18.jpg

I think that this one was cast from the original, I have Bane's original medals (not the Soochow), That went in another direction and was bought through the Gleim Auction in the early 1990's, It was sold to the late CDR Bill Brown who passed away awhile ago. I did see his original Soochow. and it was not this one.

Bill

teufelhunde.ret
I think that this one was cast from the original, I have Bane's original medals (not the Soochow), That went in another direction and was bought through the Gleim Auction in the early 1990's, It was sold to the late CDR Bill Brown who passed away awhile ago. I did see his original Soochow. and it was not this one.

...it was not pretty, and someone bought into it at $200 plus

post_22_1299288419.jpg

Garandomatic

I worked in lost wax, still do some of it. If that ain't a casting, I'm the Easter Bunny.

...it was not pretty, and someone bought into it at $200 plus

Bill

Just as a side note, Bill Brown's photo is on page 409 in "The Call of Duty", I talked with him about reuniting the group.

Bill

And I thought I set the high bar for a Soochow.....that BIN tops it........although the cert does a a new dimension....but the condition looks poor.

teufelhunde.ret
although the cert does a a new dimension....but the condition looks poor.

Very true, and the medal is damaged, unnamed, and drape is in poor shape and not knowing if its Navy/USMC makes a big difference. I will be surprised if its gets the 250 bid, esp when the seller has zero feedback! :think:

Even with the defects I like the medal even in this condition....I've got a soft spot for them.....are you or Brig going to bring it home?