1902 Army Officer Swords

SARGE

That is a nice clean example of a German-made M1902. :thumbsup:

The pommel cap nut is unusual but I have seen one or two others and all have been by German makers. The "Germany" stamp on your blade would indicate it was manufactured pre-1941 and the synthetic grip is normal for German made swords (along with celluloid over wood grips). A nice sword with the original knot still attached.

• 6 months later...

That’s a beautiful eagle head presentation 1902 and a fantastic display with the uniform. I hope to add one of the eagle heads to my small 1902 collection someday.

• 3 weeks later...

Being this is my first post on the site, figured I'd start at the point that originally brought me here (gathering mor info on Philippine Constabulary 1902's) some time ago. Been a sword collector/ researcher/practitioner for many years, always had a soft spot for M1902's......have gone made them my main focus now. Have corresponded with Sarge on a few occasions at another place (SFI) and he has always lended his grand knowledge.

with that.....here is my meager collection as it stands with another variant en route I acquired last week.

l to r:

Springfield Armory type I c.1903-04

Francis Bannermann - New York c.1910-12

A. Schuman - Boston,MA c. 1915

2010_08140010.jpg

Bill

Welcome to USMF Bill! :twothumbup:

These things are really addictive aren't they?

Thank you Sarge, have gotten a lot of great information from here already and yes...they are!

• 2 weeks later...

latest addition to my M1902's.....an odd variant that haven't been able to pin-point it's exact origin. Sarge suggests it may be a military academy,ROTC, etc. issue. Blade is straight and completely unmarked (even took it apart to look for clues on the tang -nothing) , there is a "205" stamp on the guard and "5" near the top of the drag. Has a leather covered wooden grip, scabbard fittings and what remains of the hanger are brass. Anyone have other clue's, suggestions, information?

thanks

Bill

oh, guess I'd better post a pic or 2....

2010_11130005.jpg

2010_11130004.jpg

2010_11130002.jpg

• 6 months later...
Nice Eickhorn and Springfield. Both seldom seen.

I've got a few from small makers like George Donovan. Also a Horstman and a few others. They can be had for relatively little money and often times are found personalized.

Both of your sabers are very nice.

Most M1902's are private labled. I have seen Donovan marked 02's made by Eickhorn and Lilley. Horstmann did not make 02's They were made by WKC, Ames, Lilley, Ridaboch's French maker and maybe Eickhorn. Avoid personalized swords; unless you can prove it is someone really famous. The Horstmann "Garter" trade mark came into use after WWI.

Tim,

Can you show some of your M1902 sabers? Variations are the spice of life in the collecting world. We would look forward to seeing anything you want to show. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Just got this about 30min ago.I love when people reply to my ads.Anyway here is a maker not shown on this topic yet.Also a really neat hanger.The sword and hanger are very nice but the scabbard has seen better days.

post-5730-1322012249.jpg

post-5730-1322012261.jpg

post-5730-1322012277.jpg

post-5730-1322012287.jpg

• 10 years later...
  • 3 months later...

A nice older variation of the M1902 Army Officer saber.  I can't tell if the pommel is a screw type or if the blade tang is peened but from prior to WWII certainly.  The plated brass hilt is older and the blade is not etched.  This lack of etching is sometimes found on early swords.  Typical with no maker marking as this would have been a more inexpensive sword when new but now it is a nice variation for collectors.  Is the scabbard magnetic steel?