WWI PAINTED HELMETS

BEAST

This is a family heirloom that came from my grandfather's house in Central PA.

The red 28th ID is not painted on the front, but on the side. I am told by the 28TH DIV museum that this was typical for post WWI parades, as the division ID would be facing the reviewing stand.

I can't swear it was used in WWI, but it has a layer of mud and dirt that is embedded into the paint. I am having a bit of trouble nailing down who in family or who in the town may have worn it. See the tread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...amp;#entry75981

Marked with ZD 75 near seam.

Send_2.JPG

send_1.JPG

send_4.JPG

Here is one of my painted helmets. From one of the National Guard Divisions from this area. This was picked up in a collection I purchased some time ago. What I like about is the sand finish was smoothed out so the patch can be painted on the front. 34th Infantry Division.

post-736-1195524771.jpg

This is my only 1st Infantry Division painted helmet. It looks right to me but a fellow collector friend states that if the patch is OD it is not correct. Should have a kaki patch. Is this true?

post-736-1195525215.jpg

This 35th ID helmet's unit has not been IDed by me yet. The lower right 1/4 is green the rest is yellow. Any help would be appreciated. Bought from the 36th guy a number of years ago. Right Mark.

post-736-1195525724.jpg

This 8th ID painted helmet is also the only one I have scene. This came with the collection I purchased some time ago. Very thinnly painted. The paint from the helmet shows through.

post-736-1195525992.jpg

This is one of my best helmets. Came in a grouping with the uniform and painted gas mask bag with the same symbols as this helmet. An engineer enlisted collar device is punched through the front. The wearers left side has a white spade and the right side has the 80th ID patch.

post-736-1195607549.jpg

Thanks for the comments and submissions. Here are some of my 26th ID helmets. The majority of these I have traded for. The first one is of the 101st Infantry Regiment of the 26th ID.

post-736-1195771883.jpg