12 replies to this topic

#1 botcheg

botcheg
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 4,488
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hi all,
A while back Austringer posted images of the actual trigger mechanism of his M1 to M1A1 conversion and I was wondering if anyone who has an M1 with the contactor box intact would be willing to post pictures of that mechanism. I've attached images of the original bazooka patent which shows the mechanism and the page from the M1 parts list SNL B-36 that has an exploded view of it. I only have a low res image of the parts list so the details are poor. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Bill

Attached Images

• SNL_B36.jpg

#2 botcheg

botcheg
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi all,
A while back Austringer posted images of the actual trigger mechanism of his M1 to M1A1 conversion and I was wondering if anyone who has an M1 with the contactor box intact would be willing to post pictures of that mechanism. I've attached images of the original bazooka patent which shows the mechanism and the page from the M1 parts list SNL B-36 that has an exploded view of it. I only have a low res image of the parts list so the details are poor. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Bill

Attached Images

• M1_bazooka_1.jpg

#3 ordnance

ordnance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 340
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I've been meaning to post these for a while so here you go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 ordnance

ordnance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 340
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

While we're on the subject of the early model M1 bazookas, you are probably aware that the ammunition for the early rocket launchers was also different from the later rockets.

The contact latch box shown above provided one of the two electrical contacts needed to fire the rocket motors. A finger protruded into the bore of the launcher and contacted an insulated brass contact ring on the nose of the M6 HE or M7 practice rocket. A thin phenolic strip attached to the rocket nose cone and a woven cloth cover behind it provided the insulation required for the contact band and flat brass conduit which connected to the area behind the rocket's largest diameter. Where the warhead joined with the rocket motor and fuze housing, the electrical connection changed to a cloth covered round wire which was secured with three wraps of friction tape and ended at the squib in the rocket's venturi.

Unmodifed rockets are extremely scarce as all service ammunition was modified at the same time the rocket launchers themselves were modified to the M1A1 design. The rocket shown below survived as it was assembled as an inert loaded training aid and even has wooden dowels inside the rocket motor to simulate the propellant sticks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note the shiny areas in the groove in the tail fins. These notches are unpainted and tinned with solder to provide the second electrical contact point for firing the rocket, just as they continued to do for the later types of ammunition. The modification of the rockets was simple and could actually be done by using troops in the field in an emergency. It only required the removal of the forward contact band and insulator and cutting the conduit where it met the flat conduit behind the warhead. Then a short length of the round wire was stripped of insulation so it could be looped through the spring wire contact point on the M1A1 and M9 launchers.

#5 Austringer

Austringer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,718
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Damn Rick,
you still amaze me.........

#6 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,677
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

While we're on the subject of the early model M1 bazookas, you are probably aware that the ammunition for the early rocket launchers was also different from the later rockets.

Unmodifed rockets are extremely scarce as all service ammunition was modified at the same time the rocket launchers themselves were modified to the M1A1 design.

What a great looking practice rocket..best I've ever seen. Here is an early INERT H.E. example. Notice the rivets around the body tube, it was originally all yellow then painted O.D. I don't think this is the right safety.

Attached Images

• Inert_Rocket_004.jpg
  • Inert_Rocket_006.jpg
  • Inert_Rocket_007.jpg

#7 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,677
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Another pic of the inside.

Attached Images

• Inert_Rocket_010.jpg

#8 botcheg

botcheg
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Thanks ordnance for those GREAT pictures. Thanks to you and Austringer we've got a pretty complete picture of the M1 bazooka. Attached is my contribution, the patent for the early rocket. My collection is mostly pictures, books and other documents. They haven't started putting people in jail for a fully functional manual . . . yet !

Attached Images

• bazooka_rkt_1.jpg

#9 botcheg

botcheg
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

page 2

Attached Images

• bazooka_rkt_2.jpg

#10 botcheg

botcheg
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

page 3

Attached Images

• bazooka_rkt_3.jpg

#11 BC312

BC312
  • Members
    • Member ID: 410
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Great photo's of the M1 fire box and rockets. You don't happen to have any similar photo's of the rest of the M1 bazooka. I was also wondering what  sight arrangement you have on the bazooka as i had a chance to look at a converted M1 to M1A1 and this still had the two grips and double sided sight arrangement so it could be used  left hand or right handed.

#12 BC312

BC312
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Forgot to add, how is the sling attached, i can just make out a sling attachement under the box.

#13 BC312

BC312
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:09 AM

Although an old post, does anyone have some detailed photo's of their M1 Bazooka, I have all the drawings I made but wasn't allowed to take pictures at the time when I measure up, just need some to confirm some detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users