- Anna Seddon Kinsolving Brown
- Emily Caldwell Stewart
- George Jarrett
- Anne Brown
- Albert F. Gleim, Col.
- Females on USMF (not as yet named)
- S & S Firearms (Ed Sless)
- Peter Hlinka
- Kaufman's Army & Navy (Jim Korn's grandfather)
- Hollanders Hobby House (NYC)
- Peter Blum (The Soldier Shop)
- Dover Army & Navy Store (Frank and Jerry Zayback)
- George Harris (GBH Medals)
- Bob Prinz (IIRC ZM Militaria)
- Frederick P. Todd, Col.
- Frank (Francis X.) Fahey
- Bernie Mitchell
- George Petersen
- Jim Atwood
- Todd Wheatley
- Some of the guys here on USMF (already and in the future)
- Major James McDuff
- Dr. L. Albert Scipio
- J. Duncan Campbell
- Russ Huff
- John Maguire
- Les Hughes
- Dave Kaufman
- Jay Massaro
- Bill Cole
- Bill "Scotty" Scott
- Ron Manion

#42 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

ASMIC has been around since about 1937 I believe, but I can't remember the names of all those early insignia collecting pioneers. Some names that probably belong on the list are Col. Jim Greene who was ASMIC president for many years and Richard Smith who was one of the big names in patch collecting. Smitty wrote one of the best of the earlier patch collecting books. Other's like Leon Laframboise should be included. All these guys have passed away, but should be remembered for their contributions.

#43 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Update as of 29 Apr 09: [Thanks everybody, I'll wait awhile yet and then alphabetize this]

- Al Maller
- Francis Bannerman
- Norm Flayderman
- William H. Guthman
- Carl Robin
- Craig Pickrall
- W. Stokes Kirk
- Emily Caldwell Stewart
- George Jarrett
- Anne Brown
- Albert F. Gleim, Col.
- Peter Hlinka
- Bernie Mitchell
- George Petersen
- Jim Atwood
- Todd Wheatley
- Major James McDuff
- Dr. L. Albert Scipio
- J. Duncan Campbell
- Russ Huff
- John Maguire
- Les Hughes
- Dave Kaufman
- Jay Massaro
- Bill Cole
- Bill "Scotty" Scott
- Ron Manion
- Col. Jim Greene
- Richard Smith
- Leon Laframboise

#44 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:01 AM

Boys, we let a true legend slip by as a pioneer of militaria collecting. That would be LTC William K. Emerson ASU (Ret.) The man has written so many outstanding works on U.S. Army insignia and uniforms, I can't keep up with it all. His books "Chevrons" and the "Encyclopedia of U. S. Army Uniforms and Insignia", alone would qualify him as one of the big league when it comes to the militaria hobbies. In addition to the two books mentioned, he has authored several more and many, many magazine articles on these subjects for the ASMIC trading Post and the journal for the Company of Military Historians.

#45 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

My add... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Jim from Kaufman’s Army & Navy

We’re one of the oldest military surplus stores in America and the oldest in New York City!

Kaufman’s Army & Navy is one of the oldest military surplus retailers in the United States.

Our original store opened in 1938 on the corner of Cortlandt and Greenwich Streets in lower Manhattan. It was located in a popular bustling commercial district once fondly referred to as Radio Row.

In 1963 our wonderful old store along with the entire district- all sixteen square city blocks of it, is completely closed down and razed to make way for the World Trade Center!

During the 1970’s our warehouse at 623 Broadway opened for retail as the SoHo boom exploded.

Our Broadway store was packed with genuine military surplus and extended the full length of an entire city block back to Mercer Street!

In 1982 our Broadway store and warehouse closes and much of our older surplus inventory dating back to WWII is sold to other leading military dealers across the country.

Our 42nd Street store opened in 1940 on a ‘second floor walk-up’ inside a tenement at 318 West 42nd Street, almost directly across the street from our present location.

In 1946 our store relocates across the street to 319 West 42nd Street.

In 1950 the same two U.S. Army Spanish-American War period Hotchkiss mountain cannon that flank the entrance to our store are placed outside.

In 1969 the entire façade above our store is proudly painted American Flag red, white and blue for the first time!

In 1986 Kaufman’s Wooden Dollar is first introduced.

In 1988 Kaufman’s left-handed and right-handed pencils are first introduced.

Today, Kaufman's is the oldest business in continuous operation on West 42nd Street!

My Best,

Ricardo.

#46 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/salute.gif

#47 bayonetman

bayonetman

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 66
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

From the gun collecting and bayonet point of view, and those who most influenced me when I first started collecting in the 1950s and into the 1960s. These writers authored some of the first books on what has grown into the US Military Firearms and Bayonets fields. By their writings they greatly expanded interest in what was then a fairly new collecting field, previously dominated by Winchester and Colt collectors.

Col. Arcadi Gluckman, author of some of the first books on US Military Firearms.

Major James E Hicks, author of US Military Firearms and a fine gentleman who helped me greatly when I started collecting in the 1950s.

Claud E Fuller, one of the first writers on Civil War period arms, along with Richard Steuart.

William B Edwards. Bill Edwards was very nice to me when I was a wet behind the ears novice in the 1960s.

William A Albaugh III, one of the first serious students and authors on Confederate arms.

Albert N Hardin, Jr. author of the first major work on US Bayonets.

Harold L Peterson, one of the earliest authors on US Knives and the Colonial period weapons and uniforms.

#48 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

As an ASMIC member and a longtime collector of viet era insignia my vote or votes would have to be for Cecil Smyth and Clem Kelly. Collectors of cloth insignia from the viet era owe a great deal to Cecil for his pioneering reference works on this subject. Clem Kelly was the 2nd editor and force behind the Vietnam Insignia Collector's Newsletter "VICN" after Cecil left.. Clem's no bull approach to viet insignia and the burgeoning repro problem's in the late 80's and early 90's saved me from many a mistake.

JK

#49 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

For medals and other militaria I would add:

Don Miller - Owned a shop in Tampa and was a Vietnam Marine, he was a good man and passed
away 10 years ago.

Bob Heller - passed away 20 years ago

The "New England Medal Collectors" - This group of guys (a few are still alive included Tom Fitzgerald, George Brown, Stu Corning, and
quite a few other "Characters".....great guys, but "hold on to your wallet" when dealing with them.

Bill

#50 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

From the gun collecting and bayonet point of view, and those who most influenced me when I first started collecting in the 1950s and into the 1960s. These writers authored some of the first books on what has grown into the US Military Firearms and Bayonets fields. By their writings they greatly expanded interest in what was then a fairly new collecting field, previously dominated by Winchester and Colt collectors.

Col. Arcadi Gluckman, author of some of the first books on US Military Firearms.

Major James E Hicks, author of US Military Firearms and a fine gentleman who helped me greatly when I started collecting in the 1950s.

Claud E Fuller, one of the first writers on Civil War period arms, along with Richard Steuart.

William B Edwards. Bill Edwards was very nice to me when I was a wet behind the ears novice in the 1960s.

William A Albaugh III, one of the first serious students and authors on Confederate arms.

Albert N Hardin, Jr. author of the first major work on US Bayonets.

Harold L Peterson, one of the earliest authors on US Knives and the Colonial period weapons and uniforms.

On the subject of US edged weapon collecting I'd like to add Mr M H (Howard) Cole to the list. His books are now consideered to be classics in the field of US military edged weapons reference books. And he was a heck of a nice guy to me when I wrote to him when I first became serious about collecting in the mid 1990's.

Greg

#51 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,339
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Fascinating topic guys. I agree with Greg in regards to Mr Cole http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif For a living one to add to the list, what about Hayes Otoupalik?

Will

#52 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/salute.gif Updated as of 2 May 09:

- Al Maller
- Francis Bannerman
- Norm Flayderman
- William H. Guthman
- Carl Robin
- Craig Pickrall
- W. Stokes Kirk
- Emily Caldwell Stewart
- George Jarrett
- Anne Brown
- Albert F. Gleim, Col.
- Peter Hlinka
- Bernie Mitchell
- George Petersen
- Jim Atwood
- Todd Wheatley
- Major James McDuff
- Dr. L. Albert Scipio
- J. Duncan Campbell
- ASMIC
- Russ Huff
- John Maguire
- Les Hughes
- Dave Kaufman
- Jay Massaro
- Bill Cole
- Bill "Scotty" Scott
- Ron Manion
- Col. Jim Greene
- Richard Smith
- Leon Laframboise
- Hayes Otoupalik
- M.H. (Howard) Cole
- Don Miller
- Bob Heller
- Tom Fitzgerald
- George Brown
- Stu Corning
- Cecil Smyth
- Clem Kelly
- Col. Arcadia Gluckman
- Maj. James E. Hicks
- Claud E. Fuller
- William B. Edwards
- William A. Albaugh III
- Albert N. Hardin, Jr.
- Harold N. Peterson
- New England Medal Collectors

#53 JimmCapp

JimmCapp
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,395
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Probably one of the most famous collectors that I can think of was Bob Hope. Well known for his tireless work with the USO over the years, Mr. Hope built up a huge collection of militaria.

#54 dpcsdan

dpcsdan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 769
  • 766 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:14 AM

Excellent thread!
Thanks,
-dan

#55 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

As an ASMIC member and a longtime collector of viet era insignia my vote or votes would have to be for Cecil Smyth and Clem Kelly. Collectors of cloth insignia from the viet era owe a great deal to Cecil for his pioneering reference works on this subject. Clem Kelly was the 2nd editor and force behind the Vietnam Insignia Collector's Newsletter "VICN" after Cecil left.. Clem's no bull approach to viet insignia and the burgeoning repro problem's in the late 80's and early 90's saved me from many a mistake.

JK

Definately, the Vietnam collectors owe a great deal of gratitude to Clem Kelly. He is still a straight shooter, and did way more for the Vietnam collectors then they will ever know.

#56 Andrei

Andrei
  • Members
    • Member ID: 467
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

My add... :thumbsup:

Jim from Kaufman’s Army & Navy

We’re one of the oldest military surplus stores in America and the oldest in New York City!

My Best,

Ricardo.

I know Jim and Kaufman's. This is a great place but genuine militaria is now very scarce in the 42nd St store.
Now, I cant complain because last year I was in the shop for only five minutes and Jim pulled out from behind the counter a gorgeous fully patched 173rd Abn Jungle Jacket and sold it to me at a fair price.
I remember the old B'way shop and wish I could turn the clock back in those days.

Do you remember the original Cheap Jack's on 2nd Avenue ?

#57 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,470
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

I'll toss in Brian Benedict of the Duffle Bag. Brian's been in the business for 40+ years and started collecting when he was 7. He's one of the top patch authorities out there.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian, 25 August 2009 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)