20 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 81
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

A buddy of mine has a USN talker's helmet and the sound-powered microphone and headset that goes along with it. The rig is missing the plug at the end. Can anyone put me on track of what the plug looked like?

Ya know, it just occurred to me my talker's rig is missing the plug, too. Duh! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

Tom http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#2 Peace

Peace
  • Members
    • Member ID: 132
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:56 AM

Are you talking about this setup?

militaria_127.jpg

The plug is marked PL-58, and looks like this;

militaria_128.jpg

Hope this helps!

Regards

Stijn

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

Are you talking about this setup?

militaria_127.jpg

The plug is marked PL-58, and looks like this;

Hope this helps!

Regards

Stijn

There's a pair of pL-58's for sale right now on ebay - starting bid $16: click here

#4 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

The system Peace shows is actually an electric one, it has three prongs and copper electric wire. The sound powered ones use carbon wire and work on the same principal as a string and tin cans system and were used so if there was a power failure they would not lose communications. This is the one I have, there may be others. The earphones and mic are hard wired together and are marked Headset MI-2045-E and made by RCA the jack is marked Type -T-M. The jack is four inches long.
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG

#5 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

PEACE, the setup you have pictured is not navy but a US Army signal corp item not related to navy at all and unfortunately incorrect for your display :rolleyes:
the jack you show is comaptible with the EE-8 field phones, if you have one look at the top end you will see three female holes to accept jacks, also comaptible with the signal corp BD-71 switch board among other things

Edited by dustin, 01 April 2007 - 08:09 AM.

#6 Peace

Peace
  • Members
    • Member ID: 132
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Aha,

thank you Dustin!

Talker helmet and com equipment came from the same source (out of the woodwork), so I assumed they fit together.

So as it stands, I'm looking for a set like QED4 shows?

Regards

Stijn

#7 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

Peace, that is correct! sorry to bring the barer of bad news! :(
there are other variartion that than of QED shows too some are USMC with a NOM contract.One thing to look for is a contract prefix NXSR-### that would be marked on the chest mic body, that would be the indication it is forsure WWII.The navy used these I belive into today so I cannot confirm QED is a WWII piece but looks close enough but most I have seen have the NXSR contract on them.
QED can we get a better look at the bakelite body and see spec. # that would help confirm...thanks! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Edited by dustin, 01 April 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#8 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thanks guys! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/twothumbup.gif

Now we know what the darned thing looks like, anyhow.

Tom

#9 birdman

birdman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 619
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

HELLO GUY'S, IS MY TALKER ALL WW2 NAVY? PLATE ON FRONT MARKED CYU-51018, MIC. MARKED CAU-51006, STAMPED ON BACK NAVY 17. THIS IS A VERY INFORMATIVE THREAD....THANK'S, BIRDMAN

Attached Images

• nav._001__Custom_.jpg
  • nav._005__Custom_.jpg
  • nav._010__Custom_.jpg

#10 QED4

QED4
  • Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Here are some more pictures of my set. I could not find a date on it any where including on the inside of the earphones and mic. Sorry the pictures did not turn out too well but I think you will get the idea.
IMG_2329.JPG IMG_2335.JPG

#11 QED4

QED4
  • Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

Part 2
IMG_2333.JPG

#12 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

birdman, your chest set is post WWII most likely korean era the designations CYU & CAU are a good indications of post war naval radio equipment.
QED, yours looks good, the spec# is consistant with WWII era naval specification numbers.

Edited by dustin, 02 April 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#13 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

The system Peace shows is actually an electric one, it has three prongs and copper electric wire. The sound powered ones use carbon wire and work on the same principal as a string and tin cans system and were used so if there was a power failure they would not lose communications.

The tin can and string thing worked by sending the can's vibrations down the tight string to the other can which would vibrate. That's a mechanical system but a sound powered system is electrical. Basically, in an electrical system the vibrations are sent along the wire as a pulsating voltage which causes the magnetic field in a speaker to vibrate the speaker cone/diaphragm. In the Navy's sound powered systems instead external circuits and power to generate the electrical impulses, the microphone does it all.

There's a wikipedia article about this and as they note:

"The headset microphone transducer converts sound pressure from a user's voice into a minute electrical current, which is then converted back to sound by a transducer at the other end. The number of simultaneous listeners is limited because there is no amplification of the signal. The distance between phones is also limited, however, successful testing shows that two handsets can communicate successfuly over 30 miles of 18AWG copper wire as shown during testing at Hose-McCann Communications in Deerfield Beach, Florida"

Standard electrical wire is used with sound powered systems, but the microphones are carbon mikes, the only ones capable of generating an electrical impulse on their own.

#14 QED4

QED4
  • Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

I am not sure if I completely understand that but they require no outside power source or amplifier. I meet a guy that had two set that were connected together, I am not sure if it was an actual connector or just something he rigged up but he put on one set and I put on the other and there was nothing between us but wire and I could hear everything he said.

#15 Dubar1

Dubar1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 695
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:15 AM

One of the purposes behind "sound-powered" systems is that in the event that electrical power is lost onboard ship you can still communicate. The "circuitry" in a sound-powered set needs no outside power source and it converts sound waves into an electrical signal that is carried thru the wires to another headset.

I recently retired from civil service after 30 years working for the Navy. I wish I had paid more attention to the sound-powered system still in use to see if they had changed any from what these pictures show.

#16 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

By the way... Does anyone know a source for the aforementioned correct plug?

#17 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

By the way... Does anyone know a source for the aforementioned correct plug?

try "fair radio" they have a website I believe!

#18 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thanks guys! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/twothumbup.gif

Now we know what the darned thing looks like, anyhow.

Tom

Ahoy Sgt Brown,

That depends on your friends SP phone rig - there are 'small can' and 'large can' phones. Also, there are male WWII plugs & female (postwar to present) SP phones & plugs.

After WWII, USN Sound Powered phones changed from the male plug (which was easy to bend & damage) to a female plug. Basically, they just changed the direction of the connectors on the cords & sockets. Both work fine, but there are several manufacturers of USN Deck Talker sound powered phones.

This is the postwar plug on an ISC Telephonics Corporation SA-7C

Attached Images

• SP_Phones_004.jpg

#19 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

And this is an US Instrument (USI) Type H200/U sound powered set. They are the most prevalent, having been bought out by Stromberg Carlson/General Dynamics.

I think I'll start a USN Sound Powered phone topic to show some examples that I have.

Attached Images

• SP_Phones_007.jpg

#20 rod330

rod330
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 19,294
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello all...first time poster with a question about my Stromberg-Carlson H200/U talker. Is there a method to determine the age of the unit? I've attached a few pics and the contract number appears as "N00104-74-D-C276". Also, Stromberg-Carlson No "702019-393" and Stock "5963-247-0725". I picked it up during an estate sale a few years ago. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

The 11-digit stock numbers were used from 1957 to 1975.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users