• Please log in to reply
904 replies to this topic

#901 denfly

denfly
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126,332
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

Soldier Dead. By Michael Sledge. It's about how remains from KIA's are handled during and after war.

#902 SemperParatus

SemperParatus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 184,665
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

A Careless Word...A Needless Sinking: by Captain Arthur R. Moore.  The history of the staggering losses suffered by the U.S. Merchant Marine, both in ships and personnel during World War II. American Merchant Marine Museum, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY.

#903 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

Currently reading "19 Minutes to Live" by Lew Jennings. He was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.

#904 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

I just finished Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater by Brayton Harris. An OK book that could have been better by making it longer and adding more detail. I liked the anecdotes the author used to help define his character. probably the best way to give the sense of the man in such a short book. 

The author does mention the great debates after the war when there was serious consideration to reduce or eliminate the Navy and Marine Corps.   While I am familiar with this, I'd love to learn more.  Does anyone know of any good books on the subject? 

A good overview of Nimitz, but no real meat here.  

Mikie

#905 pelseth

pelseth
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,037
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

I just finished ready "Goodbye, Darkness" by William Manchester.  It is one strange book.  What is good is really good, but what is bad is really, really bad.

I read this book a number of years ago and agree completely with your assessment (as you spelled out in a later post).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users