835 replies to this topic

#826 Ewart

Ewart
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,796
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

To the Limit: An Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam - Tom A. Johnson

Half way through reading this book, an I can not put it down. Well written, exciting and thoughtful. A true story written like a novel. 

​Completely the opposite of the book I have just finished:

Meeting Steve Canyon: ...and flying with the CIA in Laos 1 by Karl L. Polifka

I did not enjoy this book one bit, it seemed to be a tirade against the USAF and their strategic policies. The book needed some serious editorial writing, spellings of names changed several times on one page. One chapter started saying that there was one amusing and one not so amusing tale; neither of which was expanded upon. 

#827 ponchoG143

ponchoG143
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 170,428
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills - By Charles W. Henderson

I was given this book at the age of 13 by my grandfather, whom I used to sit with and listen to stories from the wars. I read it it through and it opened up the USMC to me and the Vietnam War. Each chapter was as good as the next. It's thrilling and exciting stories following marine sniper Carlos Hathcock through Vietnam left you wanting more each time reading it, and you truly get to know a hero of the war.

7 years later I'm still reading it for a third time through. It's a highly recommended read from me.

#828 zsmith

zsmith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 109,234
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

I'm reading 2 books currently:

The Last of the Doughboys: The Forgotten Generation and Their Forgotten World War by Richard Rubin. This one is neat because the author interviewed WWI veterans 85 years after WWI. They were all in their 100's... one guy was 113 years old.

Death of the USS Thresher by Norman Polmar

#829 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 29,553 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Just finished Lone Survivor and moving on to Carlsons Raid.

#830 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

Last of the Doughboys is in my stack.

#831 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Agent Of Destiny: The Life And Times Of General Winfield Scott by some guy namedJohn Eisenhower. Interesting book. I was familiar with Scott from his Civil War days, but not so much from his earlier career. I'm just up to the end of the Waar of 1812 so far.
Mikie

#832 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Just finished Mike Mullane's excellent book, "Riding Rockets" about being an astronaut. It's one of the best books ever written by a NASA astronaut, I think. He was also a former "GIB" on F-4s in 'Nam.

I've read it before, but it's such a good book, I like to read it every 2-3 years.

#833 hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,138
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

Just finished "Back Over There" by Richard Rubin, who also wrote "the last of the doughboys".

It's a great read especially as an adjunct to his earlier book where he interviews all the remaining WWI doughboys around the year 2000

In this book he goes back to France and visits sites that were important to the men he interviewed and important to the AEF in WWI, to see what time has left intact to remember the doughboys

He walks battle areas and goes into tunnels and bunkers, Visits with local historians etc

Very good read as, like him I've been to WWI battlefields and I also find it remarkable to be where WWI happened

Tom Bowers

#834 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

That may be an excellent counterpart to "Back to the Front" by Stephen O'shea.  He is quite anti-military, and I am afraid that if I read it again, there would be some undue and possibly quite smug bias.  A great deal of the First War DOES seem quite absurd, but I read a review of it after I had read it (was about to buy a used copy, the one I read was from the library- it actually sparked my interest in WWI way back when) and I am afraid it might be a bit shallow and naive in the nuances of its crucifixion of every general in the entire war.  I was, however, drawn to his walks down the front, as it was in 1916, and the tales of what was still left, I just think I may have been focused in other aspect of it and missed any pretentiousness.

"Back Over There" sounds good.

#835 sigma9r

sigma9r
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,678
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

Flashman and the invasion of Iraq

Don't waste your time and money.  It's not the Flashman we all know and love.  The plot is one of a bumbling stooge who is roped into being the liaison between the Royal Marines and the US Marines.  Deleted it off my iPad!  The MASH series by Butterworth was much more entertaining!

#836 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 6,380 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 AM

"Our Crowd: The Great Jewish Families of New York" by: Stephen Birmingham

I draw a chapter in this book especially to the attention of USMF Civil War collectors and students. 

Chapter 10

"This Unholy Rebellion"

Pages 71-80

Most interesting and informative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)