USMC JACKET WW2 SNIPER TRAINING?????????

Richard101

post-5692-1239127696.jpgpost-5692-1239127656.jpg

Hi there ive had this jacket for about a year but unsure about the age. Im not a collecter of usmc but came across it for little money. Has anyone any ideas as to what its use was. Ive been told its for sniper training but unsure .

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP RICHARD thumbsup.gifthink.gifthink.gif

Rakkasan187

Richard,

I have a similar jacket in my uniform collection, but mine lacks the USMC stenciled on the pocket. I am not a USMC collector but I believe it is a PMI (primary marksmanship instruction) jacket. I have seen photos of Marine rifle competitors wearing this type of jacket. I am not sure if it was worn by snipers, but I listed a few places below that have some pictures of the jacket.

The first web site shows a female Marine on a marksmanship team wearing one. The picture is circa. 1950's.

http://library.uncg.edu/dp/wv/results167.aspx?i=1332&s=6

The next web site is referencing the book GRUNT GEAR by Alec S. Tulkoff. I believe the jacket is pictured in this book

http://www.amazon.com/Grunt-Gear-Combat-In...t/dp/0912138920

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Unifor.../ref=pd_sim_b_4

This web site above is United States Uniforms and Insignia, Personal equipment of World War Two by Harlan Glenn. This is another good book that may have the jacket listed in it. I have this book but cannot recall if it is pictured in it or not.

The last one listed below is a book by Jim Moran, It is out of print now, but I know that the jacket is pictured in this book.

ISBN: 1872004571/ ISBN-13: 9781872004570

U.S. Marine Corps uniforms and equipment in World War II

by Jim Moran

I hope this information helps you. I cannot give you a specific date, since I do not specialize in USMC. I am sure there are some forum members who can help.

Incidently, the last book that I mentioned was the one pictured at the top of the FORUMS page for about 1 month or so. It was just recently replaced with the Battle for the Atlantic Advertisment. If you recall it was the book pictured on the left hand side showing a Marine in the bush, getting ready to toss a grenade.

Thanks very much for the links great help i thought the usmc stencil was a wartime thing thanks for the help Rich thumbsup.gif

I would say your "shooting jacket" is 1960s and early 1970s vintage based on the newer style EGA on the pocket and the material being a cotton sateen opposed to the HBT type material used earlier.Hope this helps.I had one identical.Bought it from Col Bubbies in Texas through his mail odrer list in the 1970s.I used it for shooting on the local rifle & pistol club team when I was in junior high school.They let me shoot with the grown ups!!! not on the junior league.They liked my shooting.Most all the guys were using high end .22 target rifles with scopes and I had a club issue 513T Remington w/iron sights.I still took unqualified high score that year.Sad to say I had to toss the jacket last year after having water in the basement.

RD

It looks a lot like the shooting jacket we wore at the rifle range when I was in boot camp in 1966. I will check my boot camp "yearbook" this evening as there are pictures in it of us at the range. If I find a good shot of the jacket, I'll scan it and post it here.

Exact same style of shooting jacket we used at Boot Camp in 1988 MCRD San Diego (technically Edson Range at Camp Pendleton). Used during initial rifle qualification at boot camp. every other re-qual I didn't have the shooting jacket option.

John