George Lucas making a WW2 movie

MAW

This ought to be a high-quality film......the story's been done before, but oh well.....I'll still be anxious to see it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org...ma-red-tails-ap

LOS ANGELES - Actors Cuba Gooding Jr . and Terrence Howard will star in Lucasfilm's upcoming World War II saga "Red Tails," a drama is based on the Tuskegee Airmen .

The first American group of black military pilots and crew dealt with racial prejudice along with the pressures of war. Nearly 200 members attended the inauguration of President Barack Obama .

The airmen went on more than 15,000 combat trips throughout Europe, the Mediterranean and North Africa .

" Star Wars " creator George Lucas is executive producer and has a story credit on the film, which is written by John Ridley . It's directed by Anthony Hemingway , whose credits include episodes of "The Wire" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Gooding's credits include " Pearl Harbor ," " Jerry Maguire " and a TV movie called " The Tuskegee Airmen ." Howard's films include "Hustle and Flow" and "Crash."

FightenIrish35

Lucas always makes good quality movies should be interesting to see how this one comes along!!!

thumbsup.gif

I think it's a good idea-the one a few years back sucked. I am still waiting on a movie about the Navajo Codetalkers...

Mercenary25
I think it's a good idea-the one a few years back sucked. I am still waiting on a movie about the Navajo Codetalkers...

"Windtalkers" starring Nicholas Cage, it was about Navajo Codetalkers.

teufelhunde.ret
This ought to be a high-quality film......the story's been done before, but oh well.....I'll still be anxious to see it.

Agree - and Gooding should be perfect for any role in this film.

I am for all WWII movies. I would especially like to see a movie made about the Army work horse divisions in the pacific during WWII. Pacific movies always seem to be about Marines, not that they weren't heros but they weren't the only ones out there fighting. Many folks do not even think the Army fought in the Pacific.

I am for all WWII movies. I would especially like to see a movie made about the Army work horse divisions in the pacific during WWII. Pacific movies always seem to be about Marines, not that they weren't heros but they weren't the only ones out there fighting. Many folks do not even think the Army fought in the Pacific.

The Thin Red Line is about the Army at Guadalcanal.

The old TV Movie about the Tuskegee Airmen was very bad... I hope the new one will do them justice.

"Windtalkers" starring Nicholas Cage, it was about Navajo Codetalkers.

Haha, I think Capa was just joking when he said that. :D He probally knows about that movie, but thought it was really bad and thus considers the movie not to exist. ;)

- Jeff

HolyHappiness
Haha, I think Capa was just joking when he said that. :D He probally knows about that movie, but thought it was really bad and thus considers the movie not to exist. ;)

- Jeff

WHAT!?!? You mean the Thompson didn't have a 5000 rd clip?!? JK Very poor movie.

I have 2 friends working on the movie. One is doing all the flight jackets, the other

is making the squadron patches, ect...

Apparently the costume department is working very hard to get authenticity correct.

At least in the uniform area that is! thumbsup.gif

JD

- Jeff

Jeff,

Right you are my man! Sorry, I like Nicholas Cage just fine, but windtalkers was beyone poorly done. thumbdown.gif

capa

I hear you there! There were actually more Army people in the PTO than Marines, but many people don't know any Army soldiers fought in the PTO after Pearl Harbor! This new "The Pacific" series won't help much either, as my understanding is it's about - wait for it - the USMC! :huh:

Lucas can do good work with historical subjects when he wants. I think he did a great job with the "Young Indiana Jones" series and "Tucker," although hardly anyone saw it. There's a lot of speculation over the aircraft to be used. The initial plan was to go CGI on the planes and use mostly full-scale mockups on the ground (a company already makes a very good replica full-sized P-51's out of composites), but I have heard that several of the war bird operators in southern CA got some of Lucas's people together to show them what REAL airplanes look and operate like and how a computer can't simulate them correctly (I also heard they showed the bad CGI scenes of "Pearl Harbor" alongside video of real aircraft and the CGI folks were heard saying they agreed you could tell the difference). But in the end, it's GOT to be a better movie than the cheesy HBO movie. Those vets deserve so much better than that!

I'll likely be crucified by someone for suggesting this, but I think maybe Lucas making this will in the end be best. He won't likely make this without a racial agenda, limiting things to what is known. Look what a fair and balanced movie "Glory" was, directed by a white guy. Tell me that movie wouldn't have been as balanced had it been made by Spike Lee!

I am still waiting for the day they remake a movie about the flying tigers!!!!!

Or maybe an accurate depiction of the 1st Special Service Force in a movie! "The Devil's Brigade" was ok as a youngster, but now I want realism! Technology is so much more advanced than it was in the 60's & 70's, I believe quite a few movies could be remade correctly.

That's looks like a cool movie and can't wait for it to come out.

I had an inquiry from a guy in Britain affiliated with the air museum in Duxford who was trying to acquire warbird parts for the filming of this movie. I have a number of ball turret parts as part of a restoration project and they were specifically looking for the internal trunnion support which holds the ball turret in the B-17 bomber. Apparently this was for close-up scenes of the aerial gunners inside the bombers. Although I had one I wasn't crazy about loaning out something as rare as that...especially since it's being filmed in the Czech Republic.

• 2 weeks later...

They’re currently filming “Red Tails” around Prague (yeah, sure, why not the Czech Republic to stand in for Alabama, it’s all the same right?). Apparently they’ve been using some of the British-based war birds for this movie. Originally, they were going to do it all with 1:1 scale plastic mockups and digital “flying” planes but that idea got thankfully shot down.

Here's a shot of the P-40 before it was returned to England. I also found some really neat photos from the “Italy” set here. Great stuff!