9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:23 AM

I've got a "BOYT 43" USMC M1941 haversack with an odd modification. On both sides near the bottom is a steel wire hook held in place with web tape. Fading to the web tape is consistent with fading to the pack and patina on the hook looks old. So I suppse it's possible it's a WW2 period modification or at least done while in military service and not done by a Boy Scout or a bored collector who had nothing better to do than mess with an old pack.

I've attached an overall view of the pack showing the hood on one side. You can see it in the lower left corner of the pic. And then a close up pic

Attached Images

• MVC_003S.JPG
  • MVC_004S.JPG

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:57 AM

I do not know if this is the correct answer but it is one possibility.

Maybe some creative Gyrene added it to support his spare boondockers.

COMH_1.jpg
COMH_2.jpg
COMH_3.jpg
COMH_4.jpg
COMH_5A.jpg
COMH_5B.jpg
COMH_5C.jpg

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

I do not know if this is the correct answer but it is one possibility.

Maybe some creative Gyrene added it to support his spare boondockers.

Craig

I think you're on the right track. But in your pic it appears that the Marine secured the boondockers with straps (actually looks more like rope in your pic) attached to the loops on the sides of the pack intended for blanket roll straps. That alone would be sufficient to hold the boots.

One theory I just came up with is the hooks attached to a rolled up shelter half, sleeping bag, or poncho carried beneath the pack.

Greg

#4 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

In a way those added hooks make no sense. On the sides you have strap tunnels for the tent straps and on the bottom you have strap tunnels for the suspender straps plus the wire brackets to secure the strap for the knapsack. If you want to tie off something there are plenty of places to do so without adding more hardware.

Those hooks look alot like the Brit hooks. Is it the same as the hook on the lower rear of the pack used to attach the pistol / cartridge belt? You see a lot of those hooks cut off for combat packs.

#5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

In a way those added hooks make no sense. On the sides you have strap tunnels for the tent straps and on the bottom you have strap tunnels for the suspender straps plus the wire brackets to secure the strap for the knapsack. If you want to tie off something there are plenty of places to do so without adding more hardware.

Those hooks look alot like the Brit hooks. Is it the same as the hook on the lower rear of the pack used to attach the pistol / cartridge belt? You see a lot of those hooks cut off for combat packs.

True, as a standalone back pack the M1941 haversack has ample tie off points to secure gear underneath. But if used in conjunction with the lower (cargo) knapsack and suspenders then the hooks might be more useful. We just don't know what for.

Yeah, it's the twisted wire hook very similar to the rear mounted one that was supposed to attach to the cartridge belt but was universally detested by those who had to wear the packs....and often removed in the field.

Greg

#6 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

I have a P41 pack that has several modifications. One is a waist belt that is sewn to the webbing of the packat the same spot as this hook I believe. These hooks could be an addtional way to attach the pack to the O ring of the P41 suspenders or some other kind of belt for added stability perhaps?

Edited by Schnicklfritz, 31 March 2007 - 02:52 AM.

#7 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:01 AM

... or even that the hooks attached to the upper grommets of the pouches of the cartridge belt, thus eliminating the need for the rear belt of the cartridge belt. It would make the pack ride lower and maybe more comfortable.... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

#8 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:09 AM

Another... sorry for so many posts, that dang edit button needs to be avaliable longer!!!

But, another reason would be a quicker way to attach or unattach the lower pack to the upper pack to a corresponding eyelet or hook on the lower pack instead of having to weave the strap of the lower pack through the upper pack. Sort of a quick release mechanism.

I'm done.... promise! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

Edited by Schnicklfritz, 31 March 2007 - 03:11 AM.

#9 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

I have a P41 pack that has several modifications. One is a waist belt that is sewn to the webbing of the packat the same spot as this hook I believe. These hooks could be an addtional way to attach the pack to the O ring of the P41 suspenders or some other kind of belt for added stability perhaps?

I like the idea that the O Ring of the suspenders may have been attached to the hook. That would make the pack wearable without attaching the suspenders to the web belt. Some people are to big to wear the pack without the added length of the suspenders but once you use those it is a poor fit if you do not attach them to the web belt. This could eliminate that problem.

#10 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

I like the idea that the O Ring of the suspenders may have been attached to the hook. That would make the pack wearable without attaching the suspenders to the web belt. Some people are to big to wear the pack without the added length of the suspenders but once you use those it is a poor fit if you do not attach them to the web belt. This could eliminate that problem.

It's hard to visualize somebody being so large the shoulder straps wouldn't fit since there is a lot of adjustment available with those. But now that you mention this theory I remember that when I got the pack the shoulder straps were let all the way out, well beyond how you normally find those on a WW2 pack.

No way to know when this pack saw military service. Those WW2 M1941's saw service as late as Viet Nam although mostly what you saw that late was the "modified M1941" AKA the "roll top".

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users