Tan and Woodland Camo ALICE

pezboy

What ALICE items were actually issued to US Soldiers in tan and woodland camo? I have seen pistol belts and suspenders in tan, but don't know if they were ever issued to US Troops. The only woodland item I have seen in use are the LC-3 ALICE pack straps. What all is there?

Thanks,

Dustin

to best of my memory, alice packs, mediums have been issued in woodland, and also came with 2 covers, 3 color desert and 6 color desert, as for equipment, most of the tan equipment were for the Saudi Arabian Army, and should have Arabic markings in addition to the NSN, from the late 80s/early 90s, ABA made a tan LBV for private purchase, belts weren't in tan unless private purchase or from SA, alice M16 pouches in tan if doesn't have the arabian marking is either commercial copy or unissued but sold as surplus, I don't recall if tan alice equipment were US issue, but its possible..as for other components in woodland, the NATICK lab I believe procured a few prototypes of M16 pouches, 1qt canteen covers, possibly entrenching tool cover in woodland to go with the Improved Individual Fighting System, which consisted of the enhanced tactical load bearing vest (mesh backing and diagonal pouches), Modernized load carrying equipment which consisted of a woodland camo buttpack, supposed to include woodland camo M16 pouches and canteen covers, but the pouches and canteen covers were rejected as being too cost-prohibited to my knowledge, and only the vest and the buttpack made it into general issue, as well as a 40mm vest in woodland; otherwise, the woodland camo pouches are commercial copies from Korea

Woodlands ALICE related items that I am aware of:

Some more-recent model buttpacks

Medium ALICE rucksacks

AN/PRC-68 pouch

IIFS vest for 40mm rounds

LBV-88 and enhanced LBV-88

CPF-90 packs

You may find items from the IIFS system that were either experimental or limited issue floating around. Also, at least two catalog

vendors I am aware of had ALICE items made in camo patterns as private sale items. Apparently the DOD determined that completely

re-outfitting everybody with woodlands camo items when warehouses full of ALICE were still around was a waste of money.

my $0.02

craig_pickrall

There is also a woodland camo nylon bag to carry the NBC gear that can be attached to the belt with ALICE clips. I'm not sure of the correct name or number without digging one out of a box.

Yes, the NBC carrier thingy. I have one of these, what years did they issue them?

What years did they issue the AN/PRC-68 pouch?

Is this USGI or a commercial product http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/canvasgoods/c7-1023.jpg ?

I have one of the newer field packs with fastex buckles, but am unsure how it is supposed to attach to the LBV. Does anyone have a diagram of this or instructions?

So, is the verdict no tan items issued directly to US Troops?

Thanks,

Dustin

pack? you talking about something like a buttpack? it attaches to the d rings on the small back panel and then to the LC belt, unless you're talking of a alice Medium rucksack, in which you should have the ruck straps onto the pack itself....

as for the buttpack/training pack, there's a couple straps near the back, where the belt webbing is, that has a couple D rings on them, those straps should be looped to the LBV's d-rings, and the d-rings on the pack should be either left alone or showing, and then the belt webbing clips to the belt via 2 alice clips, and that should be all you need to do. another method is to put the pack up high, same straps but looped to the wide webbing above the lbv's back adjusters and the bottom 2 straps on the pack goes through the D rings again, although there really isn't a reason to have a pack up high, unless you have a 2nd pack below, and more likely, you'd be carrying a medium rucksack instead of these two small packs

as to the link provided, I'd believe that to be legit, although I was under the impression that they had fastexes from the start, itis possible that the linked one is older... as for the radio pouch, I'm not sure, I have one but cannot read the markings as its long washed out...

So, is the verdict no tan items issued directly to US Troops?

Thanks,

Dustin

Never saw any tan in the Army. The Air Force showed up to play in the desert with some tan stuff, probably commercially bought. Never seen any tan equipment with good contract numbers. Now, in about 2001, the three color Molle equipment started coming on line, but never saw ALICE in tan.

What ALICE items were actually issued to US Soldiers in tan and woodland camo? I have seen pistol belts and suspenders in tan, but don't know if they were ever issued to US Troops.

In 2003 I was issued a brand-new 1 qt. canteen in a tan cover. It came from Air Force supply at al Udeid Airbase, Qatar (I was an Army guy stationed there). I know that most of the items I saw there were green, but for some reason they had tan canteen covers.

Bill

1979.... new question, when did Woodland Camouflage became issue and standardized?? O_o I was under the impression that the pattern was finalized and adopted in 1981 and called M81 woodland camouflage..... I must be mistaken then?

Up until 2004, I was still being issued LC-2 gear that was brand new and OD green. As someone stated before, a limited few items were camo, medium rucksack, MOPP bag, LBV and such, but canteen covers, pistol belts, large rucks, first aid pouches, ammo pouches and the like were OD green.

1979.... new question, when did Woodland Camouflage became issue and standardized?? O_o I was under the impression that the pattern was finalized and adopted in 1981 and called M81 woodland camouflage..... I must be mistaken then?

don't forget that the year of contract doesn't have to be the year of manufacture. but sill a very interesting item...

• 5 years later...

I have seen a few tan Alice items (first aid pouch, pistol belt with the "kovach" clip, canteen covers) stambed with "U.S." in black. Would these items more than likely be commercial copies or intended perhaps for the Saudis?

I have seen a few tan Alice items (first aid pouch, pistol belt with the "kovach" clip, canteen covers) stambed with "U.S." in black. Would these items more than likely be commercial copies or intended perhaps for the Saudis?

Commerical copies. The stuff you list was never made for US use in tan, and the stuff we made for the Saudis is marked SA on the front.

In my mind, desert ALICE equipment was probably never contracted by the USGOV, but that did not stop some commanders from buying commercial ALICE equipment for military use. Seems like a possibility.

I found this "chocolate chip" pattern carrier in an Army Navy store in Allentown Pa after the first Gulf War. The construction is on par with government issue gear. It was manufactured by the London Bridge Trading company. While it does have a FSN it lacks a contract number.

Tim

post-192-0-88638100-1408320761.jpg

I forget where I got this one. Its not a very good quality cover. The stamp is only partial. I don't think this cover was made for U.S. issue.

Tim

post-192-0-62558800-1408320885.jpg

You would be surprised. Check it out. http://oefoif.forumotion.net/t4402-desert-tan-lc-2-gear

No, I wouldn't be surprised that some units used unit funds to purchase commercial gear in tan, which is what all of that is. If you look at the specifications for the various pieces of ALICE gear, you'll find they were never produced in tan...other than the 2qt canteen cover.

GeneralCheese

I found this "chocolate chip" pattern carrier in an Army Navy store in Allentown Pa after the first Gulf War. The construction is on par with government issue gear. It was manufactured by the London Bridge Trading company. While it does have a FSN it lacks a contract number.

Tim

What is the date on the canteen? I recently found a tan canteen dated 1980.