Sykes Fairbairn..US model or?

Jason G

Just picked this up this week in my local thrift store for a whopping 7.50. I believe it's a '3rd pattern' (based on my internet research only) of this knife, but I have no way of telling if it's a "US" issue, or carried by any US soldier, or something that was used just in Britain or the commonwealth. Any help with further indentification would be appreciated.

post-271-1238524166.jpg

The top 'screw' won't move and I'm afraid to force it.

post-271-1238524171.jpg

There are no markings on the knife that I can tell. I thought the marks on the blade were some type of maker mark, but it looks more like a 'scrape'. The knife has some sharpening marks but no abuse.

post-271-1238524176.jpg

Any help id'ing this one, and maybe a ballpark value, would be most appreciated!

No sheath came with the knife. The previous owner told me he's had it for over 30 years, he once worked for TIOH in Belvoir. He may have gotten it as a gift, but he just wasn't sure. He retired in the early 1990's.

The only F/S-style knife that I know of that was U.S. issue was the O.S.S. stiletto, and it does not look like that. The Marine Raider Stiletto and the V-42 were also U.S.-issue knives that sort of resemble a F/S knife, but they do not look like that either. Hope this helps.

Frank Trzaska

I have seen a number of these through the years. Some are completely unmarked while others are marked C.I. / 514 / JAPAN on the blade side of the guard. It was an inexpensive commercial knife aimed at the servicemen in Vietnam. The sheath was leather with the M1910 hooks to attached to the belt. I have also seen a few that were presentation engraved. Not really a military issue knife but certainly aimed at the military market and owned by a few vets.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Cool! Thanks all. I was wondering. It didn't seem 'british', it didn't have any sort of maker mark on it. Not a badly made knife at all tho.

Frank Trzaska
Frank,

Did the sheath look like this one in my collection? I always wondered who made it. Thank you.

post-70-1238544491.jpg

GB

No that isn't the one. I will try to get a scan of one for you.

All the best

Frank Trzaska