Holster - M1916 Warren Leather Goods Co.

Started by LoadedColt45 , Mar 28 2009 03:48 PM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LoadedColt45

LoadedColt45
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,832
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

There is a Warren Leather Goods M1916 holster for sale at a local antique mall.

It is in new "near mint" condition with leg tie for $32.50. Condition is better than both of my '42 Boyt holster that I would consider to be "near mint"

I am not very familiar with this maker and only googled it moments ago. The holster is definately not a reproduction and appears to be WWII production by materials, oxidation on rivets, etc. However, it is not marked with a date.

Can anyone tell me if some of these holsters were made without a production date? If so, did they only start putting dates on thier holsters later on in the war...?

I am on way way back down now to pick it up. Ever for a repro, it's not a bad deal... If it's still there, I'll post some pics when I get it so you can make your own observations.

Thanks for any help you can offer

#2 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

If not a repro, then your Holster is apparently a WWII example :)

This thread will interest you a lot:

http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=17086

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/b9.jpg

Edited by Chris_B, 28 March 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 21,263 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I had a mint SEARS holster with no date.I would say the Warren was good as they did make holsters and I personally havent seen a repo Marked Warren.For $32 I woudnt have left with out it.

RD

#4 Blake_E

Blake_E
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,398
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

Yep, never seen a repro of them, and many are undated. I have an SB CO undated, and both a 44 dated and undated warren leather co. for 32, an absolute steal. IMHO in the correct market, could probably be a hundred and thirty dollar holster

#5 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

As told, it's a genuine WWII holster and, even if these are bad times, it worths not less than 100$. WWII holsters are dated quite casually and in case of Warren, he dated only his 1944 production then your holster is a 1942 or, more probably, a 1945.

Attached Images

• warren_solo.jpg
  • warren1944.jpg

#6 LoadedColt45

LoadedColt45
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Okay, here it is...i raced back down yesterday and picked it up. It really is a beaut...there are absolutely no signs of wear inside the holster, or on belt hooks so I am thinking this one was never used in is lifetime. Just a little storage wear on the exterior.

The only reason I didn't get it when I was first there was because it looked too good to be original and I wasn't familiar with the maker...

I really wasn't looking for another 1916 holster, so...I guess I'll just throw it in with the rest...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x281/loadedcolt45/101_2608.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x281/loadedcolt45/101_2603.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x281/loadedcolt45/101_2605.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x281/loadedcolt45/101_2604.jpg

#7 Blake_E

Blake_E
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

beautiful! looks unissued. Thats the exact same condition my G&K 1943 was in, before being totally ruined by pecards

Edited by Blake_E, 29 March 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#8 LoadedColt45

LoadedColt45
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

beautiful! looks unissued. Thats the exact same condition my G&K 1943 was in, before being totally ruined by pecards

Wow, that is a shame. Funny you mentioned pecards....I was just reading a post in another USGI 1911 forum how pecards IS the stuff to use, if anything. And hoe they all awear by it...well I won't be using that stuff anytime soon.

Sorry for your loss :(

#9 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

Maybe you are thinking Pecard would be the commercial name for the neatfootsoil.

#10 Blake_E

Blake_E
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hehe, no, i even think oiling it would have done less damage. I'll have to get some pics of it. What happened was, a buddy of mine picked it up about a year and a half ago, and decided to give it the pecard treatment to 'keep the good condition'. I begged him to leave it, but he persisted. As the months went on, it started to get chalkier and much less appealing. I ended up acquiring it in a trade with some other items, it wasn't TOO bad then, but well on it's way. About another half year later, and there was no way i was letting anything with the Pecards name on it, near it. It just became stuffed, and totally ruined. It's still near unissued condition, but just stuffed all around the edges and surfaces with chalky, streaky, thick white residue. I might try and connollys it to see if that will save it, it's only getting worse. I use connollys on my luger and other US leather items/holsters (only on anything that needs it), without a drama at all, otherwise, i'm a firm believer in just leaving items be, don't put anything on them, unless they REALLY need it.

#11 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

It's unbelievable, it seems your treatment was tallow based. The only thing I can think is you used one of several Pecard product not suitable for the purpose. Me and a lot of collectors are using "Pecard Antique Leather Dressing" with great satisfaction.

#12 Blake_E

Blake_E
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

believe it, :P It's the exact same stuff. each to their own i suppose, many collectors still love and swear by it, many also despise it. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow

Edited by Blake_E, 31 March 2009 - 08:06 AM.

#13 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I can only assume that there was something else on the leather that caused this behavior, when combined with the Pecard's

Pecard's antique leather dressing by itself does not have this effect. I've used it on a Warren holster (the one I have placed in a previous post of mine in this thread actually), an old leather jacket, a new repro M1097 sling and an original M1907 sling, and I can testify that none of those objects was harmed. The same tub was also used on an original Civil War cartridge box with no ill effect; it softened the leather and darkened it, but in few days the leather lightened up considerably

Sorry to hear of your bad result but it would seem to me it was a reaction with something previously on the leather; if Pecard's antique dressing simply had this effect, nobody would ever have good results with it. Interested to see the pics

Edited by Chris_B, 04 April 2009 - 10:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)