• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DM1975

DM1975
  • Members
    • Member ID: 281
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

M8 Flare Gun. The trigger guard was bent like that when I got it. From what I have read it is WWII period and was issued to certain air crew. It has locking lugs on the barrel to be able to lock it into a port on an aircraft. It is marked US Property and has a 6 diget serial number and a big 25 stamped on the back strap. The trigger guard was originally squared off from others I have seen. There is also one shell in it marked Signal Illuminator Aircraft, AN M37A2 Double Star. The shell is dated 1-69

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/war%20collection/DSCF0481.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/war%20collection/DSCF0482.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/war%20collection/DSCF0483.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/war%20collection/DSCF0484.jpg

Edited by craig_pickrall, 28 March 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#2 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

The M8 on a plane.

Attached Images

• signal_pistol.jpg

#3 rambob

rambob
  • Members
    • Member ID: 299
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

As a little addition to the subject, here is a nice M8 flare gun, holster and especially the hard to come by flares for the gun. I was fortunate to get all three, different, live flares for $5.00 apiece at the Max show a few years ago. BTW the three smaller, shotgun shell looking flares in the picture are for my M3 signal projector.

Attached Images

• M8_Flare_Gun.jpg

Edited by rambob, 07 January 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#4 2ad82recon

2ad82recon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Were Flare Pistols ever issued to Ground Troops?

#5 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

Not ground troops but ground crews. The pistol was used from aircraft or from ground stations. Certain color flares can signal if there is wounded aboard or other types of emergencies on the aircraft and from the ground to signal incoming aircraft.

#6 2ad82recon

2ad82recon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

What about the smaller SKLAR made pistols? Did infantry units get equipped with any sort of flare pistols?

#7 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Flare pistols are considered emergency distress signals more orientated towards aircraft and vessels and as far as my knowledge no infantry used flare pistols during WWII. In the infantry there is really no use for distress signals, they did use flares, but those have been adapted for use on rifles, mortars and artillery mainly for illumination purposes. Distress signals do burn bright but for only a few seconds to get attention.

What do you mean by SKLAR?

Edited by craig_pickrall, 28 March 2007 - 03:35 PM.

#8 RedRyder

RedRyder
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,418
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

I am new to your forum, just purchased an M8 pyrotechnic signaling device. I have searched the web for manufacturers, patents, etc., but find no reference to the makers stamp on my particular M8. In the triange on the right sideplate is an M at the top with the following in a straight line directly below: S.W.C. Any help as to the manufacturer would be most appreciated. I thank you in advance.

#9 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

I am new to your forum, just purchased an M8 pyrotechnic signaling device. I have searched the web for manufacturers, patents, etc., but find no reference to the makers stamp on my particular M8. In the triange on the right sideplate is an M at the top with the following in a straight line directly below: S.W.C. Any help as to the manufacturer would be most appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Hi Red:

Welcome to the Forum.

The triangle symbol has the letters MSWC. That stands for McInerny Spring and Wire Company which was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was the manufacturer of your M8.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Edited by Charlie Flick, 06 May 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#10 RedRyder

RedRyder
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,418
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hi Red:

Welcome to the Forum.

The triangle symbol has the letters MSWC. That stands for McInerny Spring and Wire Company which was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was the manufacturer of your M8.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Thank you Charlie!
Your information is most helpful. I am a former Michigander, so the Grand Rapids connection makes the M8 that much more appreciated. I picked up a holster (made in Canada) and some 60's GI flares, have yet to launch anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users