Pyramid of Captured WW I German Helmets in New York

Championhilz

Championhilz

While doing some research today I ran across this interesting stereoview showing a pyramid of captured World War I German helmets on "Victory Way" which was a display of captured German arms and equipment set up to promote the 5th War Loan in the United States. The pyramid was located just above Grand Central Station on Park Avenue.

post-274-1238072706.jpeg

Here is a second image of the pyramid:

post-274-1238072732.jpg

There is a somewhat closer view of the pyramid in Harper's Pictorial Library of the World War, which is available free for download on Google Books. I could not figure out how to copy the picture and show it here, but it is on page 133 of the book.

Bizarre is what I was thinking. I suppose it reflects the thinking of the time to make the conflict into a "holy war" against the Hun.

We would have been outraged if the Germans had done that with Allied helmets.

wonder what happened to that, if the helmets werent welded together to form the pyramid (which they probably were to keep them together) I wonder what happened to the helmets.....or what happened to the pyramid

Championhilz

I did a little more research, and found that there were actually two pyramids, made up of a total of 12,000 helmets. I also found mention that the helmets were given as souvenirs to big contributors to the war loan.

Brian Dentino

Sort of reminds me of the pictures one sees of the Soviets in their post war celebrations throwing German guidons, helmets, rifles, etc. into BIG piles in their victory celebrations. :blink: