• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Dave G

Dave G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,484
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I am in the midst of reading William Wellman's book "Go Get 'em". He flew with the French before America entered the war. In his book which was written before the war ended he states that he was awarded his flying badge. Now it could have been in the interest of simplifying his account that he didn't mention going into town and buying his brevet but who knows. The issuing of badges may have differed from unit to unit.

Dave

#52 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

I am in the midst of reading William Wellman's book "Go Get 'em". He flew with the French before America entered the war. In his book which was written before the war ended he states that he was awarded his flying badge. Now it could have been in the interest of simplifying his account that he didn't mention going into town and buying his brevet but who knows. The issuing of badges may have differed from unit to unit.

Dave

The conclusion I'm getting from all these postings, particularly with Maj. Morris' input, seems to say that American's who actually wore the French uniform and flew in their squadrons were issued their flight badge, same as French pilots. American pilots (actually in the US Air Service) who only trained with the French received their Brevet from the French but had to purchased their badges privately from jewelers. I suppose there could be exceptions to that too.

#53 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Welcome to the forum Major Morris!

PS. You need a new camera. Your ebay photos are even worse then mine!

#54 hawk3370

hawk3370
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,022
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

I thank you all for the kind remarks and warm welcome. I believe that the comment on those pilots that actually were in the French Air Service ie: LEC, were probably issued wings as they were in fact flying for the French. Lt. Mero trained and flew at Issoudun as an American and according to him the Americans were not issued the badge only the Brevet. I have several copies of the Beumont Bull, a news letter by the men stationed at Issoudun, will dig them out and see if there is any reference in them as to that subject. I am honored to be a member of a group such as this where information freely changes hands. It is important that opinions be expressed and on occasion rumors debunked. There is so much junk floating around out there, its good to have a forum to go to in order to get an honest debate going. I am certainly no expert but I do have a lot of hands on knowledge on the early US military insignia and with that being said if I can be of any assistance, it would be my honor to throw my two cents in for what its worth.

#55 bschwartz

bschwartz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,185
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Terry,

Great to see you on the board. It's been a long time since we talked. Thanks again for all your help in the past. I look forward to learning even more from your invaluable experience.

Bob Schwartz

Edited by bschwartz, 01 April 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#56 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Terry,

Any chance you can post some photos of Lt. Mero as shown in the auction that appears to show him wearing an open collar uniform and a sterling wing.

Additionally how long did Lt. mero serve in the Air Service.

Thanks

#57 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Welcome,

I had to go back and re-read my posts to make sure I didn't say anything especially retarded and ignorant about your auction. I am actually shocked that the bidding didn't go for higher on this grouping, as everything was pretty much spot on, IMHO. With current prices, the bullion US wings alone should have gone for more than the final bid all by themselves. Go figure....

Patrick

I've been following the Ebay seller ARMYBRAT's "WW1" patch offerings for some time now. A seemingly unending supply of what I would term "questionable" WW1 patches have been put up for sale on a regular basis. They are not labled as "original" or "reproduction", but have are constantly described as "very rare" and showing "age and dust" etc.
So, when a possibly original and expensive item is offered (e.g., this WW1 aviation group), buyers will take into account what else the seller is offering and how those items are presented. I feel all these "questionable" WW1 patches make potential bidders nervous about bidding on any big ticket items.
I for one would be very interested in hearing the background on all these "WW1" patches. Are they claimed to be original or are they reproductions?
Kurt

Edited by KurtA, 02 April 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#58 hawk3370

hawk3370
  • Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Terry,

Any chance you can post some photos of Lt. Mero as shown in the auction that appears to show him wearing an open collar uniform and a sterling wing.

Additionally how long did Lt. mero serve in the Air Service.

Thanks

Will try to post a copy of him in the uniform. And any other pic I have of him. He flew from 1918 to 1923.

Terry

#59 none

none
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 1,465
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Will try to post a copy of him in the uniform. And any other pic I have of him. He flew from 1918 to 1923.

Terry

Terry

I am not an expert on uniforms actually far from it, but the uniform he is wearing in the grouping looks like a late 1920's. Do you know when the picture was taken.

Joe

#60 hawk3370

hawk3370
  • Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Terry

I am not an expert on uniforms actually far from it, but the uniform he is wearing in the grouping looks like a late 1920's. Do you know when the picture was taken.

Joe

Joe,
I was mistaken, got him mixed up with another pilot whose insignia I have who flew up until 1923. Mero stayed on in the reserve, don't know for sure when he quit flying however the uniform he is wearing dates from 1926 until the mid 1930's. Notice the Air Service US and Wing and Prop in bullion on his lapels. I am not sure when this picture was taken. Sorry about the mix up. Thats what happens when one gets old and senile so I'm told by my wife. Haven't had much luck getting good copies of his pictures, but will keep trying.

Terry

#61 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

I've been following the Ebay seller ARMYBRAT's "WW1" patch offerings for some time now. A seemingly unending supply of what I would term "questionable" WW1 patches have been put up for sale on a regular basis. They are not labled as "original" or "reproduction", but have are constantly described as "very rare" and showing "age and dust" etc.
So, when a possibly original and expensive item is offered (e.g., this WW1 aviation group), buyers will take into account what else the seller is offering and how those items are presented. I feel all these "questionable" WW1 patches make potential bidders nervous about bidding on any big ticket items.
I for one would be very interested in hearing the background on all these "WW1" patches. Are they claimed to be original or are they reproductions?
Kurt

Kurt,

I'm certainly not a WWI patch expert, so I'm always in the learning mode. However, I did buy a patch from ARMYBRAT sometime ago that I was very pleased with, and passed the scrutiny of some of my more patch savy collecting buddies. I'd like to hear more details on why you feel these might be questionable patches.

Thanks, Mark

#62 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Kurt,

I'm certainly not a WWI patch expert, so I'm always in the learning mode. However, I did buy a patch from ARMYBRAT sometime ago that I was very pleased with, and passed the scrutiny of some of my more patch savy collecting buddies. I'd like to hear more details on why you feel these might be questionable patches.

Thanks, Mark

Mark-
ARMYBRAT is one of several Ebay sellers who has been selling all kinds of WW1 patches for years.
Another seller is out of Missouri (Alpinemil, or something like that)- Most of the patches are felt on felt or wool and of very similar construction. And many are for rather "exotic" units that you just never see. Where exactly does all this stuff come from???? And if it's from an "old collection", I'd expect to see to far more obvious "no-doubt-about-it originals" that don't all look so similar.

A few days ago in this thread I inquired about the origin of these and whether or not they were original. The listings don't say. They do describe their patches in ways that are huge red flags to me - i.e., no claim of being original, but describe the patch as being showing "age" or dust and claiming they will be insured to $100 (as if to lull an unsuspecting/unknowledgable collector into thinking the item is original.) I personally think most of the patches are bad, but I'd be curious what the seller claims.
Kurt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users