INFO NEEDED ON 82nd FIGHTER SQUADRON

BEAST

I bought a hand-painted plaque yesterday that has the squdron insignia of the 82nd Fighter Squadron However above the insignia is written "82nd Jet Fighter" It appears to have been made in the 1950's or early 1960's. Does anyone have a reference or a link that covers the 82nd Squadron AFTER WWII?

I need to clean the plaque and then I will post a photo of it. Thnaks in advance for your help!

The 82nd Fighter Squadron transitioned from F-51s to F-89s in 1951 (becoming the 82nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron) . Then they went to F-94s (1953-1955) and back to F-89s (1956-1958). In 1958 they transitioned to F-102s. They drop out of my sources to reappear as Wild Weasels with F-4Gs at Spangdahlem in the 1980s.

Jeff,

Thanks for the info! Do you know if they were ever stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base (also known as Grissom AFB)? This base is located in Indiana.

The 82nd Fighter Squadron transitioned from F-51s to F-89s in 1951 (becoming the 82nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron) . Then they went to F-94s (1953-1955) and back to F-89s (1956-1958). In 1958 they transitioned to F-102s. They drop out of my sources to reappear as Wild Weasels with F-4Gs at Spangdahlem in the 1980s.

Mitchell Field, NY, Jun 47

Hamilton AFB, CA, Nov 48

Larson AFB, WA, Feb 52

Keflavik Apt, Iceland, Apr 53

Presque Isle AFB, ME, Oct 54

Travis AFB, CA, Aug 55

Then a big gap until Spangdahlem, Germany in the 1980s. Unfortunately, I have nothing to fill in the gap with. The 82nd seemed to be air defenders throughout the period and I think of Bunker Hill/Grissom more of a SAC operation (actually they were a TAC base in 55-57, but with 323rd Fighter-Bomber Wing and ADC's 319th FIS), but I can't find anything that puts the 82nd there in the gap.

Jeff,

Thank you for the info. Man, I love this forum!

The plaque was framed in a shop located in Kokomo, IN. This is a small city locate near the Air Base.

Thanks again Jeff!

Mitchell Field, NY, Jun 47

Hamilton AFB, CA, Nov 48

Larson AFB, WA, Feb 52

Keflavik Apt, Iceland, Apr 53

Presque Isle AFB, ME, Oct 54

Travis AFB, CA, Aug 55

Then a big gap until Spangdahlem, Germany in the 1980s. Unfortunately, I have nothing to fill in the gap with. The 82nd seemed to be air defenders throughout the period and I think of Bunker Hill/Grissom more of a SAC operation (actually they were a TAC base in 55-57, but with 323rd Fighter-Bomber Wing and ADC's 319th FIS), but I can't find anything that puts the 82nd there in the gap.

This is the plaque that I purchased. It is hand-painted and measures approximately 10"x14".

post-203-1175165819.jpg

This is the label from the frame shop. Note that there is not a zip code with the address. Most likely it was framed in the 1950s or early 1960s.

post-203-1175165849.jpg

I bought a hand-painted plaque yesterday that has the squdron insignia of the 82nd Fighter Squadron However above the insignia is written "82nd Jet Fighter" It appears to have been made in the 1950's or early 1960's. Does anyone have a reference or a link that covers the 82nd Squadron AFTER WWII?

I need to clean the plaque and then I will post a photo of it. Thnaks in advance for your help!

• 2 years later...

I was a pilot with the 82nd FIS in Iceland in 1953-54. The plaque has some elements of our squadron insignia, but I never saw it in quite that form. I will attach a photo of me and my R.O. over Iceland in a F-94B. You can see the squadron insignia on the aircraft.

These F-94B's had been in Iceland for a while, and since they sat outside in the weather all the time, they were starting to show some problems. Our squadron was replaced in 1954 by the 57th FIS. Our squadron ferried these to Presque Isle Maine and eventually to Oakland California where they were refurbished and given to ANG squadrons. We then got new F-89D's, and our squadron was re-designated as the 76th FIS.

post-8883-1260401920.jpg

post-8883-1260401947.jpg

FANTASTIC PHOTOS..!!! Have more?

The 82nd got it's first jet aircraft in 1949, and the insignia was approved in 1951. (I've never seen the 82nd in a shield shape insignia - only round.) With the dawn of the jet age, some USAF fighter squadrons were named as "jet propelled". I just saw a website where the 82nd was referred to as "82nd Fighter Squadron, Jet." (Hamilton AFB June 1951) The term seems to have not been widely adopted or used.

Having jets was still somewhat novel at that time and there are other units who used the word "jet" to distinguish themselves from their reciprocating and vibrating brothers. Hey, it sounded cool - Jet Fighter Squadron. All that being said, I'd date that cool plaque to the early-mid 50's.

Here's their "Jet" bases:

Hamilton AFB, California, 24 Nov 1948

Larson AFB, Washington, 6 Feb 1952-7 Mar 1953

Keflavik Airport, Iceland, 1 Apr 1953-Oct 1954

Presque Isle AFB, Maine, 22 Oct 1954

Travis AFB, California, 18 Aug 1955-25 Jun 1966

Deployed at Naha AB, Okinawa, 17 Feb-24 Jun 1966

Naha AB, Okinawa, 25 Jun 1966-31 May 1971

Deployed at Suwon AB, South Korea, 30 Jan-20 Feb 1968

Webb AFB, Texas, 1 Dec 1972-15 Jun 1976

Tyndall AFB, Florida, 1 Jan 1978-Present

Again, great photos!

~Will

• 1 year later...

Wow! Great looking photos AND information! Thanks for all of the assistance in determining the time frame.

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late to this party, but have some input to help with the time frame. Attached is a photo of a Navy pilot (I'm friends with his family) wearing the same 82nd patch as the one on your plaque. He was in the exchange officer program between the Navy and Air Force from Ocotober 1949 to October 1950 at Hamilton AF Base. The picture was taken in December of 1952. I hope this helps.

post-104735-0-66467500-1351025633.jpg

• 5 months later...

"Jet fighter" was a label that we most seen on the early jet age period in th USAF at the and of the 40s or beginning of the 50s.

Great plaque!

Franck

• 1 year later...

Wow those sure are great photos sir! Thanks for posting them RCaauwe. What was flying the F-94 and F-89 Scorpion like? Where they both "lead sleds" even with the AB on?

Here is a fairly new 82nd Squadron patch that I have in my collection. They of course fly target drones now, hence the name...

-Derek

post-5482-0-10094300-1425942082.jpg

Boy I completely missed this thread. Outstanding color photos of an unsung fighter; and by one of its pilots nonetheless! Wow!

-Ski

• 11 months later...

Love the pictures of your time in Iceland! hate to be greedy but keep em coming...if you have anymore...

I have been trying to post more photos from the 82nd FIS in Iceland..can't get it to take them. I see a button that lets you preview a post, but can't find the one to actually Post it!! Also when I try to drag one onto the post area (instead of attaching it, it says "that format is not permitted on this forum". These are .JPG images. Nowhere I can find that it tells you what format is acceptable. ????? I give up.

Jpg's are fine but they are too big most likely

Use the USMF's custom resize tool here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I used the tool, and it did resize the photo, but it produced a Texedit file (no extension), so the post failed with a message that this type file is not permitted. By the way, my JPG files were all under the 512K size. Gosh, why should this be so hard?

doinworkinvans

I used the tool, and it did resize the photo, but it produced a Texedit file (no extension), so the post failed with a message that this type file is not permitted. By the way, my JPG files were all under the 512K size. Gosh, why should this be so hard?

Sent you a personal message (PM)

doinworkinvans

Here are the photo's from Russell

The first (black and white) photo is of F-94B’s on the ramp at Keflavik. 1953-54

The second is of our helmets on the piano at a party at the “O” club. The R.O. is Donald Couchigan.

The last photo is of our 82n FIS patch as it existed in 1953-54 in Iceland.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Not sure why we got all "dressed up" in civvies for this photo, but anyway: Left to right, Ed Norem, Gerorge "Alex" Alexander, Russ Caauwe, "Mac" McCarthy. Each flight was housed in separate Quonset huts with distinctive paint job on the end. Norem, Alex, and Caauwe are all 82nd FIS pilots. McCarthy was an 82nd FIS R.O. (Radar Observer).

post-8883-0-19427100-1457112639.jpg