7 replies to this topic

#1 GDK212

GDK212

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 5,915
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

I'm just curious the Sea Going Marines assigned to Ship Detachments during WW2 their patch (I show it in figure one for reference) is there any photo documentation out there of a Marine wearing this patch? If so where can I see said photo.

Attached Images

• seagoing.jpg

#2 GDK212

GDK212

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 5,915
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

I came across the following photos and it looks like a Ship Detachment Patch on a WW2 Era Service Alpha Blouse but in this day and age I wouldnt put it past someone to put one on it when it isnt original to the coat. It was on a site called Missouri Relic Hunters and I'm not familiar with them but it sold to someone for $75

So question now is how common were these on Sea Going Marine Uniforms?

Attached Images

• ship_detachment.jpg
  • yea.jpg

Edited by GDK212, 22 March 2009 - 11:02 PM.

#3 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

It definitely was worn. There were obviously a lot fewer sea-going Marines than in the FMF so originals are scarce. Coat looks fine to me.
Bobgee

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 16,899 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

Here is a great thread on seagoing Marine / USMC tunic's of the period - several examples to see:

http://www.usmilitar...d...agoing&st=0

#5 1stDivVet

1stDivVet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,106
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

I knew one from Mooreville, Mi.. He was a girlfriend's uncle.. His widow still had his uniforms and insignia and I remember the Seagoing Marine patch.. She was a Marine too.. He got out in 45, she did in 46.. I begged for stuff but they gave it to the grandkids to play with instead.. Can't tell ya how often it was worn, but it was worn..

Fins..

#6 uscssa

uscssa
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,178
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

I'm just curious the Sea Going Marines assigned to Ship Detachments during WW2 their patch (I show it in figure one for reference) is there any photo documentation out there of a Marine wearing this patch? If so where can I see said photo.

Chcek out the US Navy History website for photos of the Japanese surrender aboard the USS Missouri, especially the photos of the Japanese delegation leaving the ship. There are some very nice photos of the Missouri Marine Detachment and they are all wearing the Ship's Detachment patch.

#7 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I too have a uniform with it on.Had the uniform for 25 years and was one of the first 3 marine uniforms I purchased as a young collector right out of the wood work.

RD

#8 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

It's a Rare patch; as there were only about 60 on each Battleship, & around 80 on each full size Aircraft Carrier!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)