Outstanding WWI USMC Officer Group Photo

cthomas

usmcaviator

OK Mike.... show me another one
One of my best friend, is living only at 3 Km From BW, Marigny en Orxois, la Voie du Chatel, Ecoute s'il pleut ( Chek your diaries)
He digged up at least 100,mod 1914 EG&A in BW and in the near vicinity, also in the Argonne and in the Saint Mihiel area over the last 30 years.( He is a member here)
No one was ever affixed to an helmet, and I would like to find one, only one.
Teufelhund.

Ask and ye shall receive...This is a crop from a RPPC that is owned by my brother and came in a lot of items named to a 66th Company Marine. I only have a scan of the front, but I believe that it is dated just after Belleau Wood (Jun or Jul). The Marines I believe are also identified, but I can only remember that the Marine sitting with the gas mask on his chest is Medal of Honor winner Sgt Luis Cukela. The rest I believe were officers. The Marine on the right (with the .45 and slung gasmask) is wearing an EGA on his helmet. The men are in the field and it is a wartime shot. I'm telling you gents, it wasnt done often, but Marines wore EGAs on their helmets well prior to the armistice.

Maj M
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Mike what a great photo!......It just wouldn't make sense if they wouldn't have had the EGA. It probably would have caught but some slap d*ck officer (no offense) took offense or one of the Marine laws was implemented. Either everyone does it or none at all.

• 2 weeks later...
USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

I never knew anyone questioned the use of EGA's on helmets prior to the Armistice. After 6 Jun, the battle was fought primarily by replacements, who had precious little time to put EGA's on their helmets. They were rushed to the front, and often as not, died within days of arriving, if not hours. You are handed a Brophy and rushed to the front straight into battle, not much time for punching holes in helmets. I am making an Excel database of all the Jun 18 Muster Rolls, and a quick sort of the KIA's vs enlistment dates vividly shows the huge loss of the 'Old Salts" on 6 Jun 18, particularly in the 67th and 20th Companies. Latest enlistment date for Belleau Woods so far is Feb 18, and more than one (not re-enlistments). Those young green Marines were rushed into a hellstorm.

Why would anyone think they didn't put EGA's on their helmets? I think I may have some photos of the 4th Brigade showing EGA's on helmets in battle. I will check when I get home. Look at the pictures, some obviously did have EGA's on their helmets, although the Marines had more pressing problems at the time. They went into battle wearing forest greens, but as they wore out (within days), they were replaced with Army uniforms. They probably put the EGA's on their helmets to preserve some scrap of indentity as being a Marine.

Semper Fi,

Jim

Sgt. Boghots

I'm pretty sure there is another mix-up in the photo ID's of the men; I'd make a heavy bet that Graves B. Erskine is actually the second from the left.

None of the others nearby have his distinct facial features.

I have to go along with Jim's comments above about the presence of EGA's on helmets, and his logic for them being infrequently seen during the latter half of 1918. And punching that hole for the stud sounds simple enough, but it takes a real hard punch and a bit of effort. So it wasn't something that you just casually did while taking break and sipping from your canteen.

Great photo and very interesting thread. Thanks for keeping this one alive. I hadn't seen it before either !

Best regards to all,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

• 3 months later...

I stumbled on this discussion tonight while a friend in France & I were researching this same photo. I am the "LtCol Owens" who used this photo in my book (actually my name is Owen, not Owens -- but I misspelled Coffenberg, so it serves me right).

I definitely think you all have correctly identified the unnamed officer as Capt Coffenberg. That's a good piece of work - I wish I'd had your help when I was doing research. I attached an earlier photo of Coffenberg.

I now believe the officer over Holcomb's right shoulder is Jack West, not 2nd Lt. E.J. Stockwell. I got the attached picture of West from his son after the book came out.

I've attached photos of Coffenberg (pre-war), West (i got from his son), and Schneider (whom I believe to the officer on the extreme right). I could not figure out how to insert photos in the post here.

Semper fi,

Pete

I stumbled on this discussion tonight while a friend in France & I were researching this same photo. I am the "LtCol Owens" who used this photo in my book (actually my name is Owen, not Owens -- but I misspelled Coffenberg, so it serves me right).

I definitely think you all have correctly identified the unnamed officer as Capt Coffenberg. That's a good piece of work - I wish I'd had your help when I was doing research. I attached an earlier photo of Coffenberg.

I now believe the officer over Holcomb's right shoulder is Jack West, not 2nd Lt. E.J. Stockwell. I got the attached picture of West from his son after the book came out.

I've attached photos of Coffenberg (pre-war), West (i got from his son), and Schneider (whom I believe to the officer on the extreme right). I could not figure out how to insert photos in the post here.

Semper fi,

Pete

Welcome aboard, Pete Owen! When your outstanding book came out in 2007 I immediately wished I had known about it earlier as I would have been honored to share the unpublished Coffenberg pics that I have. I had always been convinced that the U/I officer in that photo was Coffenberg.

In 2000 Gilles Lagin took our MHT group to the 80th Company's old PC near LaCense Farm where a French 'citroen' grenade (rendered inert by time!) was recovered and presented to me at our luncheon in Lucy on my 60th birthday by former CMC General Mundy, who was on that tour along with BGen Simmons! What a treasure in my collection and memory!

There are certainly more stories to be told or re-told of the 4th Brigade Marines. Let me know if you are working on anything that I may assist on. I'd be privileged. Semper Fi......Bob Gill 0302 USMCR Ret.

P.S. I have corrected the inadvertant mis-spelling of your name in this thread. Sorry 'bout that!

Thanks, Darrell. Ok, here are some photos:

post-8685-1259179611.jpg

Gordon Grimland (Clifton College 1910)

post-8685-1259180067.jpg

Lucien Vandoren (previously misidentified as Egbert Lloyd) (NARA)

post-8685-1259178589.jpg

Bailey Coffenberg (previously misidentified as Franklin Garrett) (NARA)

post-8685-1259178597.jpg

Jack West (previously misidentified as EJ Stockwell) (photo from Carl West)

post-8685-1259178611.jpg

John Schneider (Culver Military Academy photo)

Semper fi,

Pete

Bob, glad you liked the book. Especially high praise from a fellow 0302.

I posted some photos above.

Here's what I now think the caption should be:

Left to right:

Lieutenants Gordon Grimland

LT George L. White

1stLt Graves B. Erskine

2nd Lt. Lucien H. Vandoren

Captain Randolph T. Zane

Capt. Bailey Coffenberg

2ndLt Jack West

Major Thomas Holcomb

2ndLt Clifton B. Cates

1stLt Amos R. Shinkle

2ndLt John C. Overton

2ndLt John G. Schneider.

I have a short presentation explaining how I came up with these. I can email anyone interested, but it's too big to upload.

S/f

Pete

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Thanks, Darrell. Ok, here are some photos:

Semper fi,

Pete

Thank you, Pete, for posting the photos, and the caption for the original picture posted. Maybe you can help me. I have been searching for a photo of Lt. James S. Timothy, the Army officer who died beside Coffenberg from shell fire.

I found your book to be one of the best I have read on the subject. Excellent work.

Semper Fi,

Jim

Jim, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I guess you've seen his DSC:

*TIMOTHY, JAMES S.

Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army

Army Infantry Reserve Corps, 6th Regiment (Marines)(Attached), 2d Division, A.E.F.

Date of Action: June 1 - 15, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to James S. Timothy, Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action in the operations of June 1 - 15, 1918, near Chateau-Thierry, France. Although weakened by gas poisoning, inflicted while serving with the French in Verdun sector, Second Lieutenant Timothy declined medical assistance and served with heroic fortitude with the marines. He inspired the officers and men with whom he was in action by his fearlessness and fortitude until instantly killed by a high-explosive shell.

General Orders No. 99, W.D., 1918

Home Town: Highland Falls, NY

I have never seen a photo of Lt Timothy. I poked around online and discovered he went through Plattsburg in Company 16, 18th Provisional Training Regiment. But the trail ended there.

Your best bet it to figure out where he went to college, and then get a yearbook photo.

Pete

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Jim, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I guess you've seen his DSC:

I have never seen a photo of Lt Timothy. I poked around online and discovered he went through Plattsburg in Company 16, 18th Provisional Training Regiment. But the trail ended there.

Your best bet it to figure out where he went to college, and then get a yearbook photo.

Pete

Thank you, Pete. I hit the same dead end as you. No idea of what college he attended, but I will try his hometown papers.

Jim

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Thank you, Pete. I hit the same dead end as you. No idea of what college he attended, but I will try his hometown papers.

Jim

I found a picture of Timothy.

Jim

I'm pretty sure there is another mix-up in the photo ID's of the men; I'd make a heavy bet that Graves B. Erskine is actually the second from the left

I firmly stand by Erskine as second from the left . . .

Great work guys, I've really enjoyed following this thread ! :thumbsup:

Best regards, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

• 8 months later...

Great footage Popo367! I missed this particular one in my earlier listing, Wow by far the best of the video clips on critical past's sight!

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Yeah, what Kevin said....GREAT catch! Man, that's some amazing video. Thanks for the link! I think I'll watch it again...

-C

I never knew anyone questioned the use of EGA's on helmets prior to the Armistice. After 6 Jun, the battle was fought primarily by replacements, who had precious little time to put EGA's on their helmets. They were rushed to the front, and often as not, died within days of arriving, if not hours. You are handed a Brophy and rushed to the front straight into battle, not much time for punching holes in helmets. I am making an Excel database of all the Jun 18 Muster Rolls, and a quick sort of the KIA's vs enlistment dates vividly shows the huge loss of the 'Old Salts" on 6 Jun 18, particularly in the 67th and 20th Companies. Latest enlistment date for Belleau Woods so far is Feb 18, and more than one (not re-enlistments). Those young green Marines were rushed into a hellstorm.

Why would anyone think they didn't put EGA's on their helmets? I think I may have some photos of the 4th Brigade showing EGA's on helmets in battle. I will check when I get home. Look at the pictures, some obviously did have EGA's on their helmets, although the Marines had more pressing problems at the time. They went into battle wearing forest greens, but as they wore out (within days), they were replaced with Army uniforms. They probably put the EGA's on their helmets to preserve some scrap of indentity as being a Marine.

Semper Fi,

Jim

What is a "Brophy?" Do you mean a Brodie pattern steel helmet?

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...