World War One Salvation Army Photos

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

Offered next is a group of WWI Salvation Army photographs. I picked this group up off of eBay several years ago. I was told that they came from an estate that was being broken up in Maryland. I lost out on a few of the images that were offered but in my opinion I got the lion’s share of the best. In collecting WWI American images, one of the things that you will rapidly discover is that certain subject matter are just next to impossible to find. The Salvation Army is one such topic. All told there was only around 240 to 260 Salvation Army workers from the US in France during WWI.

From the Doughboy Center article on the History of the Salvation Army in WWI –

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/salvhist.htm

“The first group of Salvation army officers to join the AEF left New York on the "Espagne" on August 12, 1917. Six men, three women, and a married couple formed the party of eleven, all from the Eastern Department. A second party of eleven, that sailed on September 13, was composed mainly of officers from the Western Department. Each Salvation Army officer accepted for war service in France was carefully screened. It was determined at the beginning to restrict the number to be sent overseas and to keep the quality of the highest. Not one hint of scandal was ever associated a Salvation Army lassie in France, although in nearly all cases the girls were subject to a constant adoration from thousands of homesick boys that might have turned their heads.

The Salvation Army in France first went to work in the area of the First Division. The first party landed in France on August 22, 1917, and work on the first hut began on September 1st. The first "hutment," as it was called, was a long sectional building, 40 by 150 feet, with ten windows on each side. It had a staff of five men and six lassies, all of whom were musicians, who gave concerts and conducted song services in addition to operating the canteen. The Salvationists conducted Bible classes, but their building was available to other denominations or fraternal orders. In it Jewish services were held, and on one occasion the Loyal Order of Moose conducted an initiation. A clothes-mending service was provided by the girl officers.

This first hut would multiply phenomenally by a factor of 400 over the next fifteen months. The tiny group of Salvationists and co-workers would set up that number of huts, hostels and rest rooms, all as nearly like home as human ingenuity could make them, some right at the front lines.”

post-3356-1237175682.jpg

Croix de Guerre

These photos were official Salvation Army press release photos that were originaly from (again in my opinion) from the Salvation Army Headquarters. Written on the back of this photo is:

"TOP - Mr. Vansent Sterling, Ill. - Dr. C.T. Wheeler, Evanston, Ill. - Dr. P.H. Howard, St. Louis, Mo - Ensign S. James, Davenport, Iowa

CENTER - Emory Cottingham, Chicago - Ensign D. Wright, Dubuque, Iowa - Mrs. Emory Cottingham, Chicago - Captain Alva Hollbrook, Houston, Texas - Mrs. Alva Hollbrook, Houston, Texas

BOTTOM - Brigadier George Davis, Chicago - Commisioner Thomas Estill, Chicago - Mrs. Colonel S. Gauntlett, Chicago - Colonel Sidney Gauntlett, Chicago

Commisioner Estill and party of Salvationists on route to France to serve the soldiers in Salvation Army Huts."

post-3356-1237175762.jpg

Croix de Guerre

An extremely rare studio portrait of a Salvation Army worker wearing the uniform they wore to France. This man is identified as Brigadier George Davis of Chicago, Il.

post-3356-1237176504.jpg

Croix de Guerre

This photo is the killer. Written on the back in pencil is; " A group of Salvation Army War workers who have sailed within the past week from an Atlantic sea port for their posts in France"

"Caps worn in picture the same as used in France, a steel helmet is worn over this cap".

Stamped on the back - WALTER STUDIO 28 EAST 14TH ST. NEW YORK CITY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PUBLICITY BUREAU

GENERAL WAR WORK COMMITTEE

SALVATION ARMY IN AMERICA HEADQUARTERS

122 W. 14TH ST. NY

ELMORE LEFRINGWELL

PUBLICITY MANAGER

post-3356-1237176900.jpg

Croix de Guerre
This photo is the killer. Written on the back in pencil is; " A group of Salvation Army War workers who have sailed within the past week from an Atlantic sea port for their posts in France"

"Caps worn in picture the same as used in France, a steel helmet is worn over this cap".

Stamped on the back - WALTER STUDIO 28 EAST 14TH ST. NEW YORK CITY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PUBLICITY BUREAU

GENERAL WAR WORK COMMITTEE

SALVATION ARMY IN AMERICA HEADQUARTERS

122 W. 14TH ST. NY

ELMORE LEFRINGWELL

PUBLICITY MANAGER

post-3356-1237176925.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Now for the really cool part. There was one super killer image of a Salvation Army worker posed with a plate of doughnuts. While I was bidding on these photos, I got an email from a woman who explained that she had seen me buying these images and thought I might like to know that the woman in this particular photo was her grandmother! After I won the image this woman and I communicated for some time and she told me in great detail about her grandmother and her service in the Salvation Army.

The young lady in the photo was Ruth Stillwell and she was born October 5, 1894. She was picked to pose for this photo when she was probably around 24 or so. Ruth never actually made it to France but this photo was the inspiration for several Salvation Army posters showing her wearing a steel helmet and holding a plate of doughnuts. Ruth retired from the Salvation Army in 1957 and passed away in 1976.

post-3356-1237177748.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Now for the really cool part. There was one super killer image of a Salvation Army worker posed with a plate of doughnuts. While I was bidding on these photos, I got an email from a woman who explained that she had seen me buying these images and thought I might like to know that the woman in this particular photo was her grandmother! After I won the image this woman and I communicated for some time and she told me in great detail about her grandmother and her service in the Salvation Army.

The young lady in the photo was Ruth Stillwell and she was born October 5, 1894. She was picked to pose for this photo when she was probably around 24 or so. Ruth never actually made it to France but this photo was the imspiration for several Salvation Army posters showing her wearing a steel helmet and holding a plate of doughnuts. Ruth retired from the Salvation Army in 1957 and passed away in 1976.

One of the quintessential icons of the First World War was the “Doughnut Dollies”. The Salvation Army was known and loved throughout the A.E.F. for their devotion to the doughboys, the fact that they went closer up to the front lines than any of the other service organizations and that they never charged for their goods.

To quote one doughboy - “When I landed in France I didn't think so much of the Salvation Army; after two weeks with the Americans at the front I take my hat off to the Salvation Army. The American soldiers [also] take off their hats to the Salvation Army, and when the memoirs of this war come to be written the doughnuts and apple pies of the Salvation Army are going to take their place in history.”

Although the doughnut became the symbol of The Salvation Army in France, pies and cakes were also baked by the lassies in crude ovens, and lemonade was served to hot and thirsty troops as well. It was not only the delicious home cooking but also the spirit with which it was served that captivated the men. The simple secret was that the Salvationists were serving not only the soldiers but God, and they brought to mind thoughts of home and of the people there. At The Salvation Army hut the men could not only bring their uniforms to be mended; they could also bring their problems to share. As buttons were sewed on, a brief message of help was offered.

post-3356-1237178391.jpg

Croix de Guerre
One of the quintessential icons of the First World War was the “Doughnut Dollies”. The Salvation Army was known and loved throughout the A.E.F. for their devotion to the doughboys, the fact that they went closer up to the front lines than any of the other service organizations and that they never charged for their goods.

To quote one doughboy - “When I landed in France I didn't think so much of the Salvation Army; after two weeks with the Americans at the front I take my hat off to the Salvation Army. The American soldiers [also] take off their hats to the Salvation Army, and when the memoirs of this war come to be written the doughnuts and apple pies of the Salvation Army are going to take their place in history.”

Although the doughnut became the symbol of The Salvation Army in France, pies and cakes were also baked by the lassies in crude ovens, and lemonade was served to hot and thirsty troops as well. It was not only the delicious home cooking but also the spirit with which it was served that captivated the men. The simple secret was that the Salvationists were serving not only the soldiers but God, and they brought to mind thoughts of home and of the people there. At The Salvation Army hut the men could not only bring their uniforms to be mended; they could also bring their problems to share. As buttons were sewed on, a brief message of help was offered.

post-3356-1237178842.jpg

Tom, I know a lot of the guys here on the forum may not appreciate your research into the obscure parts of WWI but, I want you to know that every time you post, I learn something! THANKS!!! twothumbup.gif

What's funny is that my Great Grandfather would always use the phrase: "She's A Real doughnut Dollie" whenever he was complimenting a woman for something. I heard this phrase used more often by his son, my grandfather. My grandfather built submarines during WWII and I'm sure he picked up this phrase from his dad and that it was understood by most people back then. I never really understood this phrase as a little child and never thought to ask what it meant. My Great Grandfather was in France in WWI so, now his compliment of "Doughnut Dollie, makes total sense! Like I said, you always have something to add to the knowledge pool. Now if you could only talk to us about Vietnam era ammo belts. w00t.gif

Croix de Guerre
Tom, I know a lot of the guys here on the forum may not appreciate your research into the obscure parts of WWI but, I want you to know that every time you post, I learn something! THANKS!!! twothumbup.gif

What's funny is that my Great Grandfather would always use the phrase: "She's A Real doughnut Dollie" whenever he was complimenting a woman for something. I heard this phrase used more often by his son, my grandfather. My grandfather built submarines during WWII and I'm sure he picked up this phrase from his dad and that it was understood by most people back then. I never really understood this phrase as a little child and never thought to ask what it meant. My Great Grandfather was in France in WWI so, now his compliment of "Doughnut Dollie, makes total sense! Like I said, you always have something to add to the knowledge pool. Now if you could only talk to us about Vietnam era ammo belts. w00t.gif

Thanks for the kind words my friend, I'm glad you liked the post and the fact that it helped shed some light on your own family history is just too cool for school! As far an the "Nam ammo belts, well there are more than enough folks on the forum to discuss that arcane subject! :lol:

Hi, Neat topic with wonderful photographs and the most interesting information. I especially like doughnut girl Ruth's photo and the related art work that it inspired.

Thank you for sharing. Best wishes, Jim

teufelhunde.ret
The young lady in the photo was Ruth Stillwell and she was born October 5, 1894. She was picked to pose for this photo when she was probably around 24 or so. Ruth never actually made it to France but this photo was the inspiration for several Salvation Army posters showing her wearing a steel helmet and holding a plate of doughnuts. Ruth retired from the Salvation Army in 1957 and passed away in 1976.

Ruth was a beautiful Lady...! blushing.gif

Tom....Tom...Tom...

You never cease to amazing with rarities such as these images. I simply don't see any WWI Salvation Army portraits other than the commercial ones we've all seen many times before. Amazing...

I have a handful of such portraits, but I don't know if they're WWI or not. I'll post them in this section when I get to scanning them.

Again, awesome find!

-Chuck

Croix de Guerre

Since we're on the subject,,here are a few more Salvation Army items. The first is a song sheet for "Salvation Lassie of Mine". Note the uniform and the insignia of her cap.

"They say it's Heaven that all angles dwell,

But I've come to learn they're on earth just as well,

And how would I know that the like could be so,

If I hadn't found one down here below?

post-3356-1237261552.jpg

Croix de Guerre

The next is a few examples of Salvation Army postcards. These were sold to raise money for the cause. These cards are fairly common and usually inexpensive. There were several different cards in the series.

Note the card with the two young women. They were sisters and famous at the time for setting up thier "hut" very close to the front lines, all by themselves in a captured German dugout deep in the Argonne forest.

post-3356-1237262172.jpg

post-3356-1237262182.jpg

post-3356-1237262190.jpg

Croix de Guerre

This is a signal corp photo of a group of doughboys lined up at a Salvation Army "hut". Note the cammo netting on the tent, the gasmaks of the doughboys still worn "at the ready" and the cloth covers on some of thier helmets.

post-3356-1237262349.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Hope it's OK to add this. It came with a WWI group.

post-229-1237279618.jpg

No problem! Thanks for sharing! thumbsup.gif I hope others will post any Salvation Army items they have. I'd love to see some one post some WWI SA cloth! :lol:

OK Tom....

Here you go. Two from my collection...

1) SA family. Hard to see it in this scan but the adults in this portrait are all wearing Salvation Army collar insignia.

post-518-1237335511.jpg