USMC 1951 BOOTS

Greg Robinson

After Korea, many regular and reserve outfits issued either boondockers (the hightop field shoes) or these boots. I received both in a reserve unit prior to active duty in the mid-fifties.

The boots were the roughout variety as were the boondockers. Gung-ho types later insisted on rubbing these down and spitshining them -- leading to everyone wanting a spare pair so these didn't go to the field.

The laces were cordovan. Both boots and boondockers had the beveled heel. The boon dockers were NOT the tan version used throughout WWII and into Korea -- they were the black color as well. We did not wear leggings with these, as they had previously. Rubber bands or string, and later more fancy "garters" were used to blouse dungarees over the boots.

Here is a picture of Camp Fuji environment circa 1957 showing the "styles" of the time -- mixed new and old dungarees, boots with shined quicklacing hooks. Sharp Corporal of the Guard, huh?

post-6908-1245089755.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have this pair which came from the estate of a 30-year Marine. I had photographed them with the intent of selling them on ebay, but I realized that while they are M1951 boots, they don't match! However, based on all that I got from this vet's family and how it was boxed and labeled, I suspect he may have worn them just like this.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 1 year later...
1st.marine.captain.17

Are there anybody, just anybody who knows where I can find one of these boots in size 10 - 11? I'm dying and are literally deteriorating to find one of these boots. I mean it. Please! Someone help me before I fall apart!