us dog tags, pre-ww2 or post-ww2 ??

usryan

Hi everybody,

I have found this lot with 3 us dog tags and plastic chain.

One is post ww2 (with RA and asn) and i don't know when 2 other pair of dog tags was use ?

One have marking "Harry P SHAW" and "USA" and the other side an asn "6982632", the other is unamed.

2a6v72w.jpg

Can you say me too if the plastic chain is a ww2 or post-ww2 model ? think.gif

Thank you for your answer. :lol:

In a friendly way from France. thumbsup.gif

Tim

Harry P. Shaw enlisted March 22, 1940. Seven digit ASNs beginning with "69-" or "70-" were used for Regular Army enlisted men entering service before June 30, 1940, when the Army started using a new series of 8 digit ASNs for enlisted men entering service after that date. If the dog tag has "RA" prefix, the tag was made sometime after July 1947 (meaning Shaw re-enlisted at some point). The lanyard appears to be of modern commercial design -- can't help with the round tags.

Although there were round dogs in WWI and afterward for awhile, the tags illustrated, for some reason, don't look military, to me, right this second.

I think it is unusual that the index notch is to the right when the tag is held in a position to read the wording.

craig_pickrall

That was a good spot. I just went back and looked at about 20 WW2 era tags and based on that the one shown here is stamped upside down.

craig_pickrall

The round tags look like those that you can buy out of an engraving machine at a Pet Store. They are made to either hang from or be riveted to a dog collar.

Captainofthe7th

Also note that there is no Tetanus immunization on the notched tags and the religion is spelled out. To my knowledge, the only religions on dog tags around the 1947 time frame were C (Catholic), H (Hebrew), P (Protestant), and GK O (Greek Orthodox).

Rob

I looked thru all mine, and all are to the left but one wartime one t date 44-45. All also had letter only for the religion but 3. One T date of 56, the other 2 undated, 1 army, 1 marine.. I know the army one is post war as it has an RA number..The marine one I'm not to sure of the date on..Never noticed that until you guys mentioned it. The cord they are on is wartime. My very first dogtag, T dated 42 came on one of those chains. It fell to pieces over the years.. I'd ove to get another one..LOL All mine are on beaded chains.

Fins..

Hello,

The round dog tags were used from around 1924 to 1940, they are called the M1924. These are some of the harder dog tags to find. I have three set in my collection including one that belong to a GI who was with the 2nd Division in WWII, and wore the tags throught the war, these came from the family. Most of the 6,000,000 numbers are late thirties or 1940 dates. I do have one set with a 3,000,000 number with dates to the twenties. Get Braddock's book "DOG TAGS" a history of American Military Identification Tag 1861 to 2002. It has a ton of vaulable info on dog tags.

Always looking for 9th Infantry Items 1812 to 2009

Hi everybody,

Thank you very much to all for your answer and specially to manchu57 for your identification as M1924 dog tags.

Thank you.

Best regards from France.

usryan.

Hello,

The round dog tags were used from around 1924 to 1940, they are called the M1924. These are some of the harder dog tags to find. I have three set in my collection including one that belong to a GI who was with the 2nd Division in WWII, and wore the tags throught the war, these came from the family. Most of the 6,000,000 numbers are late thirties or 1940 dates. I do have one set with a 3,000,000 number with dates to the twenties. Get Braddock's book "DOG TAGS" a history of American Military Identification Tag 1861 to 2002. It has a ton of vaulable info on dog tags.

Always looking for 9th Infantry Items 1812 to 2009

Is the one illustrated in this thread a military dog tag M1924, however?