A2 Jacket 79th Fighter Group-85th Fighter Sqd

doyler

This jacket belonged to Lt.Marlin Eugene Klassie.Marlin was a P47 Thunderboldt pilot with the 85th Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group.Marlin flew many missions with the 85th.

I obtained this jacket several years ago from an individual who sold the Klassie family home.The jacket was found by the seller hanging below the basement stair way in or about 1970.I was fortunate to purchase this from the individual .After a quick search through a couple court houses I came up dry on any info for Mr.Klassie.I had an idea to contact a veterans affairs office out of Camp Dodge Iowa to see if they could provide any assitance or ideas on how to search this mans history.At first the represenative was not receptive until I explained I had this flight jacket with a name and I was reseaching his WW2 service.The lady did a quick check as I explained no discharge seemed to be on file.She came back with a match for him and said ther had been a death benifit payment for him.She was willing to send copies of what information she had and I was thrilled.I finally had a place to start.While waiting for the information I went to our library and started to look through the old newspapaers on microfilm.Using the date I had I worked backwards and sure enough I came up with a few arcticles on him.With each arcticle I gained a little more info and a few dates to refferance.I had recieced the information from Camp Dodge and included was a copy of the Western Union telegram to his parents detailing his death.They listed his accident as occuring in Austrailia which should have read Austria.

I had quite a bit of information but had come to a small road block.Then the librarian suggested I go to the historical society and ask for the local papaers from Renwick Iowa.I had expalined earlier to her that he was a resident of Renwick as a young man and had been raised there.I was quite surprised to find more arcticles on him and his funeral arrangements and details.I also learned he was buried in a local country cemetary outside of Renwick.I searched the cemetary and found him at rest beside his parents.I believe he was returned to the US for reburial in 1948 and his parent were buried beside him later.

Lt.Klassie was born July 26 1924.He was educated in local schools and in the fall of 1942 attended the State University of Iowa.The following December he enlisted in the Air Corps.He was inducted into service in February 23 1943 at Jefferson Barracks Missouri..Marlin was commissioned a 2nd Lt. and recieved his wings at Aloe Army Airfield,Victoria Texas.After a ten day leave he returned to San Antonio and recieved further training.He went overseas in October of 1944 and was stationed at Frano,Italy where he was assigned to the 79th Fighter group of the 12th Air Force as a P47 Thunderbolt pilot.He had completed over 60 missions to include bobming,rocketing and straffing german targets over Italy,Yugoslavia and Austria.Recieving the Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters.After VE DAY he was restationed to Linz Austriaand shortly after his 21st birthday was killed on October 25th 1945.He died from his injuries sustained in the crash due to mechanical failure.Marlin had flown a P47 named LADY LUCK.I was very pleased to see this painted on his jacket and then mentioned in the newspaper obituary on him.This post is in memory of Lt.Marlin Eugene Klassie,forever 21 years old.

You may note a slight amount of paint extending from the edge of the patch on the back of the jacket.The Lucky Lady is painted on leather then sewn to the jacket.I am convinced there is another painting under the patch.I came to this conclusion as there is also another name printed in the lining of the jacket as well as an outline of another squadron patch on the interior lining that has been removed.The name appears to be CR CRONK(?).It is inked or stenciled in black but hard to read.I am assuming this jacket was a reissue to Lt.Klassie and he attached his own insignias.

This scarf was found in the pocket of the jacket when I purchased it.One recently was posted on the forum and this promted me to post Lt.Klassies jacket and the scarf.The scarf is hand silk screened and appears to have a hand sewn finnished edge.

post-342-1236744780.jpg

You did a great job of reasearching this jacket and a very nice write up.

This jacket ROCKS. The insignia on this jacket is of classic Italian manufacture including the applied painting. It just screams MADE IN ITALY.

Kurt

You did a great job of reasearching this jacket and a very nice write up.

This jacket ROCKS. The insignia on this jacket is of classic Italian manufacture including the applied painting. It just screams MADE IN ITALY.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,

for your sincere comments.

Its a little hard to see but on the cowling is the name LUCKY LADY.When I saw this in the newspaper arcticles it really tied it all together.

Its one of my all time favorite pieces.Mainly he was a local person.One side note.My father actually knew Marlins father.In the late 1950s my dad bought a car from Sam Klassie(Marlins Father).Sam was a well known bussiness man in the area and owned some implement and auto dealerships according to my dad.When I got the jacket and put a face and story to it I found out his parents names and my dad then told me about Sam.I will from time to time place a flag out for Marlin if Im in the area.

RD

85th Fighter Squadron – 1942 to 1947

AIRCRAFT MARKING: On a light blue disc, a death's head facing to right proper, winged at base of skull yellow, superimposed on a white cloud bank and emitting speed lines in black; in base a small white cloud formation.

SIGNIFCANCE; The insignia is symbolic of the winged death and destruction which the 85th Fighter Squadron will carry to the enemy.

Better known as THE FLYING SKULL MEN

Thank you for sharing this beautiful jacket and the personal history of his first owner. It's a very great piece and a very good job you done researching all these infos.

RIP, Lt M.E. Klassie

Very cool! Great Jacket. Love the painting! I can only imagine how it felt

to match up the planes name in the painting to the obit. That's what

research is all about.

J.D.

What a beautiful A-2!!!! They don't get much better! I am fortunate to have an original copy of "The Falcon - 79th Fighter Group USAAF 1942-1945" in my Unit History collection. Here's a pic of Lt Klassie scannned from it.

Lt._Klassie_79th_FG.JPG

And as an extra addition, a pic of the jacket's original owner Capt. Cronk, also of the 85th FS, 79th FG.

Lt._Klassie_79th_FG._Lt_Cronk.JPG

Enjoy.......Bobgee

Hi,

Congratulations for owning this jacket.

The story behind it is really sad but truly represent one of the worst enemy of the airmen : the technical failure. Unfortunately, such accidents cost many lives.

Thanks a lot for sharing this beautifull jacket and the result of your research.

All the best,

Tim.

SKI and Tim,

Thanks for the great comments.I really appreciate the feed back from fellow collectors

Bobgee,

A big thankyou for posting the pics of Lt.Klassie and Capt Cronk.This really solves a mystery on the additional name in the jacket.

I do have a couple pictures of Lt.Klassie but they were / are from his newspaper arcticles.He was the only son and If I remember correctly he had 3 sisters.One was in Forida and the one that was local passed away afew years back.I have no idea if any of the relatives have anything left of him.As I has stated his parents home was sold by a realtor in or about 1970.I will try to scan or photgraph the paper work I have,

Again thankyou for your intrest and support

RON

Very cool! Great Jacket. Love the painting! I can only imagine how it felt

to match up the planes name in the painting to the obit. That's what

research is all about.

J.D.

Thanks JD,

I knew there was a story to this jacket.A friend had spoken to me about seeing it stored in an unheated building.I didnt have a computor back then and my research skills are pretty limited as it is.I was fortunate to have a considerate Veterans affairs representative to help with some intial dates to seach with.

RD

• 1 month later...

About a month ago I was returning home from a show.It was a fairly nice day for early March and I decided to see if I could locate Lt.Klassies stone in the country cemetary where he is buried.After a few minutes I found the marker.Wanted to add this to the thread and share with the forum.I placed a couple new pennies on his stone prior to leaving.Hope he will have another visitor.I know I will be back with a new flag for him this spring.

RD

post-342-1239584850.jpg

Ron

Great jacket what a true piece of history.. Glad it's in good hands..Paul

Thanks Paul for the sincere comment.The jacket is a real treasure to me.Being from a fairly local man.When found it was in fairly dry condition and had a lot of white grunge on it.I try not to over treat it as I have only lightly cleaned the jacket once with a cotton cloth dampned with liquid glycerin saddle soap,stayin well clear of the painted patches.

Thanks for looking.

RD

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...