Sherrill vehicle compass calibration instructions

13M40 (RET)

13M40 (RET)

I picked up this item a few days ago at an estate sale along with several more FM's and TM's. I am trying to get an idea of rarity and desirability. There is no date on the paper manual but the plastic calculator is marked 1944. It is the instructions for setting the compensation (I prefer to think of it as declination) of a Sherrill vehicle mounted compass. I was always under the impression that these were only used in Jeeps but apparently not since there are sillouette drawings inside of a tank being run through a calibration course. We used to do something similar with our MLRS launchers. I also got a copy of FM 8-45, Medical Field Manual, Records of Morbidity and Mortality (Sick and Wounded). It is dated 1 OCT 1940 and rubber stamped on the cover: J.W. MIDGETT, CAPT. M.A.C. Does anyone know what the M.A.C. stands for? Sorry this is kind of long. Thanks in advance for any help and archive this pic if you have a use for it.

DSCF0672.jpg

Brian Keith

I have a couple of the booklets, but mine came with the compass! Probably a lot more compasses out there than the booklets. I live in Indiana and Peru is not really far from me. The FM sounds like an interesting one also. Nice finds.

Thanks for posting the photo.

BKW

13M40 (RET)
I have a couple of the booklets, but mine came with the compass! Probably a lot more compasses out there than the booklets. I live in Indiana and Peru is not really far from me. The FM sounds like an interesting one also. Nice finds.

Thanks for posting the photo.

BKW

Brian, Thank you for the reply. I was waiting to see if I would hear from anyone else. I decided to go ahead and list the item on eBay. Did it a little while ago. Easy to find it is in the Collectibles/Militaria/****/****/****/Machine Parts and Accesories. By the way the M.A.C. stamped on that FM stands for Mortuary Affairs Center part of the QM Corps.