• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 dmsylvest

dmsylvest
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,166
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have recently become interested in scr-284 raidos. I have searched the internet for info on these but have only found a few pictrues and something saying they were sold for $15 after WW2. Do any of you guys have one of these? Where should i start looking for one to buy? What is a good price? Any websites with info that would be useful?

Thanks a lot

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,752 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

I have recently become interested in scr-284 raidos. I have searched the internet for info on these but have only found a few pictrues and something saying they were sold for $15 after WW2. Do any of you guys have one of these? Where should i start looking for one to buy? What is a good price? Any websites with info that would be useful?

Thanks a lot

As a teenager in the early 60's I used and owned a lot old Signal Corps radios, both for my ham radio station and as a Civil Air Patrol radio operator. I have no doubt you could pick up one of those SCR-284 radio sets for $15 - or maybe less.

Today some of that old equipment goes for many, many times more and is increasingly hard to find and when you do often requires extensive restoration if you want to use it (you'd need a ham license and a radio that could be converted to work on a ham band).

Ebay and craigslist are two good sources as is google which will search the ham radio club site where this kind of thing is often listed in the classifieds.

You should search for "SCR-284" and "SCR-284A" and "BC-654" and "BC-654A" (use the quote marks when you search).

BC654A.jpg

#3 robinb

robinb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 61
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

One of my favorite radio sets. I have one in my WC-52 Weapons Carrier.

#4 robinb

robinb
  • Members
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Check ebay 130292594081.

#5 dmsylvest

dmsylvest
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,166
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info. How hard would a restoration be? Are parts easy to find?

#6 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 21,752 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Check ebay 130292594081.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=130292594081

#7 robinb

robinb
  • Members
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the info. How hard would a restoration be? Are parts easy to find?

What do you mean by restoration? Do you want it to work? Some parts/accessories are tough to find. The J-48-A telegragh key used with this set is a hard piece to find. The 4 legs are also tough to come up with.

#8 bucksgtjpowers

bucksgtjpowers
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 15,539
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

Thanks a lot

Hello.... Just read your note about your interest in the SCR-284 Army Radio. When I was a kid back in the 50's, my Dad had one he used in our basement. He had the Receiver, Dynamotor, Key, Mike, and Cables. Well, it turns out, my brother saved it all and he still lives where my Dad did back then. It has been in the basement where he used it all these years. He is interested in selling it, so if you think you may be interested, please let me know. Not sure if it all works, since he has not used it since the 60's.

Thanks....Jim

Attached Images

• BC_654_A_Radio.jpg

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 21,752 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hello.... Just read your note about your interest in the SCR-284 Army Radio. When I was a kid back in the 50's, my Dad had one he used in our basement. He had the Receiver, Dynamotor, Key, Mike, and Cables. Well, it turns out, my brother saved it all and he still lives where my Dad did back then. It has been in the basement where he used it all these years. He is interested in selling it, so if you think you may be interested, please let me know. Not sure if it all works, since he has not used it since the 60's.

Thanks....Jim

Hi Jim:

Thanks for joining the forum to provide this information. Our FOR SALE section is not open to new members, but we'll let this post stay in hopes that your dad's radio set can find a good new home with a collector.

#10 stevenrmount

stevenrmount
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 13,971
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

Thanks....Jim

Jim,
If dmsylvest is not interested, I would be as long as it is a complete set. I have one already, but I am missing the legs, the CD-501 cable and the GN-45 generator with legs, and cranks.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)