Souvenir pennants - SOUTH PACIFIC ISLANDS

GICOP

interesting! I wonder what is there purpose?

though not makred as such ...very marine corp too! connected to USMC infantry and aviation

Harlan Glenn’s book “Dungarees and Frog Skin” features pennants in the chapter on “Souvenirs and loot”. He pictures examples and states “Marines could and did collect these and send them home to their families to hang on the wall. Ideal for younger brother!”

They also feature in Chris Mason’s book “Paramarine”

Both of these titles set me off on the “Pennant collecting trail” thumbsup.gif

These pennants are rather interesting, but I have to wonder where they were made and during what timeframe. Obviously, there wasn't a souvenir stand on Guadalcanal, Tulagi or Bougainville.

Thanks for sharing them!

Allan

Hi Allan

Not sure what timeframe the pennants were made but here are closeups of the detail on some of them.

Dating one of the Australian ones is easy. :D

pennant1.jpg

pennant2.jpg

pennant3.jpg

pennant4.jpg

pennant6.jpg

australia1.jpg

I'm sure they weren't on sale in the Japanese PX w00t.gif

Cheers

Martyn

• 10 months later...

"Pineapple League" pennants like this one were commonplace athletic paraphernalia for Army and Navy units in the Philippines and Hawaii during the interwar period. it looks like pennants made a comeback in post War Philippines. The patch is U.S. Army Forces Western Pacific (active August 1945 to August 1947). The material is heavy duty felt-on-felt (I can't tell how the other pennants shown are constructed but they appear to be screen printed on felt).

post-1963-1202690642.jpg

"Pineapple League" pennants like this one were commonplace athletic paraphernalia for Army and Navy units in the Philippines and Hawaii during the interwar period. it looks like pennants made a comeback in post War Philippines. The patch is U.S. Army Forces Western Pacific (active August 1945 to August 1947). The material is heavy duty felt-on-felt (I can't tell how the other pennants shown are constructed but they appear to be screen printed on felt).

post-1963-1202690642.jpg

Very nice thumbsup.gif

The ones shown are screen printed

Here are a few more

WW2PENNANTS.jpg

This pennant is not from the South Pacific area but I thought everyone might like to see it. The USS Vincennes was taking its shakedown cruise to northern Europe in 1937 when this felt on felt pennant was made. It is 29" long.

Paul

post-2319-1202999331.jpg