18 replies to this topic

#1 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Picked up this neat tactical vest down at the SoS yesterday. There is no makers tag or manufacturing marks that I can find. The vest has a STABO rig built into it. The plastic buckles are marked BSR-IA ACW NY NY 10018. Oddly enough, the buckles are not dated. The vest holds up to 8 M-16 magazines. The vest itself has ssen better days, but it is what it is. Any information about this rig would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

• Picture_067.jpg

#2 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Close up of one of the magazine pouches.

Attached Images

• Picture_068.jpg

#3 RTS

RTS

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 4,984
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Arch,

Any chance at more pictures of the vest? It looks pretty familiar...I think the holster is a Safariland 3004/3005...

#4 Mercenary25

Mercenary25
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,082
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:11 AM

Cool finds. It looked like you had a good time. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure if I've seen this vest before, but it reminded me of ABA vest. I may be wrong, but this vest seems to be modified. I've seen some LBVs modified to have STABO attached. Can you take pictures of back of the vest and inside? I'm very curious. Thanks!

Edited by Mercenary25, 09 March 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#5 CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 5,444
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Reminds me somewhat of the QRV vest, but the QRV vest has different rappeling mounting hardware and different shoulders.... the vest that looks most like it would be the ABA tac vests, which is similar in layout, however none show the stabo type harness... hmm nice finds though!

#6 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Some close-ups of the vest.

Attached Images

• pictur41.jpg

#7 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Close-up of the magazine pouches.

Attached Images

• pictur42.jpg

#8 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Close-up of one of the buckles.

Attached Images

• pictur43.jpg

#9 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

Close-up of the inside of vest.

Attached Images

• pictur69.jpg

#10 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

Close-up of inside pocket.

Attached Images

• pictur70.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 09 March 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#11 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

Well......this vest is a mystery. No makers tags of any kind that I can find. There are inside pockets on each side that close with a heavy duty YKK zipper. As you can tell from the vest, it has seen better days. It has a few tears and snags. Being the sucker I am for vests, I just couldn't leave it on the mannequin! :lol:

MattD and I have discussed this vest and we both agree that it is from the mid 1980's to early 1990's time period. He believes it may be a AWS made vest. Thanks for looking!
Arch

Edited by nkomo, 09 March 2009 - 05:35 PM.

#12 Mr-X

Mr-X
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,389
  • 4,640 posts
  • Location:The Central Highland's of Victoria, Australia - Uc Dai Loi

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Very nice unusual pick ups Arch http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#13 RTS

RTS

BANNED

• Banned
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Arch,

I think you and MattD might be to something with the AWS angle. I had thought that the vest might have been a modified SARVIP vest with
magazine pouches added, but can't say for sure without getting hands-on. Nice! Might have been a one-off from an ALSE shop or a small
gear maker back in the day? The camo material on the ammo pouches looks to be very similar to some early LBV-88s that I have seen
as far as color, texture and aging. The quality of work and construction style isn't saying 'mass produced' to me-Just a thought...

Edited by RTS, 10 March 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#14 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Arch,

I think you and MattD might be to something with the AWS angle. I had thought that the vest might have been a modified SARVIP vest with
magazine pouches added, but can't say for sure without getting hands-on. Nice! Might have been a one-off from an ALSE shop or a small
gear maker back in the day? The camo material on the ammo pouches looks to be very similar to some early LBV-88s that I have seen
as far as color, texture and aging. The quality of work and construction style isn't saying 'mass produced' to me-Just a thought...

RTS,
Thanks for the information. Question....by ALSE shop you mean Aviation Life Support Equipment? Do you mean it could have been used by the 160th SOAR? I have several other 160th SOAR vests, but they don't look 100% like this one. This vest has places for 8 M-16 magazines while the other 160th vests do not. They have places for more survival tpe gear. Let me know what you guys think.
Arch

#15 militarykid1234

militarykid1234

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 4,410
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

COOl items arch like that vest http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#16 RTS

RTS

BANNED

• Banned
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Arch,

From a little bit of digging, it looks like somebody took a SARVIP or similar vest and hacked it up to customize a vest for somebody. The woodlands camo pockets look like they were made out of a lighter weight material than 1000d Cordura that most mainstream aftermarket builders use. The mismatched color webbing attaching the back halves of the vest where the sage type 8 attaches the two halves of the olive drab type 13 looks like
a repair or modification to me. The general level of workmanship is what makes me think somebody did this in a rigger's loft or Aviation Life Support Equipment shop, ie: the work is effective but not going to win a beauty pageant. Long story short, I think you have somebody's custom rig, maybe a monkey harness meets combat vest. Given your location I would think that there's a fair chance it was a TF-160 item at one time but can't say for sure. I believe that there was a lot of tolerance at one point for custom vests like this in that unit before standardization happened. Best I can give you is a professional definate maybe.

#17 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Actually, this vest came from a dealer out of southern Florida. I really appreciate all the comments people have made on this vest!!!! It is greatly appreciated.
Arch

#18 RTS

RTS

BANNED

• Banned
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Arch,

Lots of Sneaky stuff happens in Tampa too ;)

#19 bond007a1

bond007a1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,415
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Arch....that is one sweet vest....I would love to take a closer look at it...but I guess I really don't need to since I got to carry it around a bit for ya.... :D

Stevo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users