The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

I have this one on a late KW era 1st Cav Ike. Thinking its Japanese made? 2-piece

Nice badge. I have similar badge, but mine is pinback and in poor condition. First clutchback I've seen in this style. Good that you have it on a uniform, I was never sure of era.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a badge I have been looking for for quite awhile. I have only ever seen two others. Thin, stamped metal with soldered on pin clasp. Brittle paint that is flaking off.

Cobra6 has pointed out to me that rifle closely resembles the Austrian/German 1895 Mannlicher rifle. The interesting part is the wreath, with oak leaves on one side and laurel on the other.

Something seen on many German badges from WWI and interwar period. I think that this badge is an early occupation piece. It is possible that the maker did not have an actual CIB to copy and this was made from memory or a sketch, hence the improvised rifle and wreath design. Interested to see if anyone has additional information.

post-122639-0-17019800-1505321077.jpg

post-122639-0-74433600-1505321091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This one's not particularly special - but it is a marking I didn't have. Military Post Suppliers " 1/20 SIL.FLD. M-21.

I have a similar badge marked STERLING M-21. The front is standard GI-issue pattern.

post-122639-0-34637700-1506362741.jpg

Here is a "newer" badge by N.B.I.Co., Nippon Badge & Insignia Company. Earlier, occupation era badges are thinner metal and have very thin plating. This badge is heavier and overall a nicer quality badge. This badge is patterned after a "standard issue" badge and lacks the stylized wreath and rifle of earlier badges.

Earlier examples will be marked on back like this;

N.B.I.Co.

JAPAN

This badge is marked on one line and the "O" is capitalized;

N.B.I.CO.JAPAN

I'm guessing this badge is from late 60's - 70's.

post-122639-0-54336100-1506363280.jpg

post-122639-0-21637700-1506363290.jpg

Very nice RD12, I have a few new CIB additions I need to show in on the thread as well. I am interested in an NBI Co CIB to go along with some DUIs I have if anyone has one available?

RD12 does a great job adding a his finds here...I haven't posted in a while so here are some back-logged pick ups; outside of the glass, top to bottom, L-R, standard sterling but nice condition, another standard sterling that someone tied the dammits together which I liked, next is "sandcast" VN style CIB, a sterling NS Meyer (no numbered shield), on the right is my thick wreath version 2-piece and finally, an NBI Co CIB. Under the glass is the "copper" colored CIB I picked up about 6 months ago.

post-153545-0-21792800-1506651880_thumb.jpg

Nice! I like how you have them displayed under glass on black, looks good.

C6A and RD12, thanks, the display case I have is a nice vintage piece with sliding glass doors; I always wanted something similar too it but they were always too expensive. The wife found this one at a great price! The cases are actually just small, hobby lobby lifting lid shadow boxes as riker cases won't fit in my display cabinet. I can line 4x across with 4x against the back per shelf. I have a few others with my bullion and embroidered CIBs and a few groupings. The lights are LED light bars from target that I was able to run the cords through the back without damaging the case and just use Velcro to hold them in place. When lit up, I really like how it reflects all that blue!

post-153545-0-33359700-1506695853_thumb.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

That's a slightly different design than most of the Vietnam-made, subdued cloth CIBs that I've seen, 63 RECON. I think it is the fact that the rectangle surrounding the musket doesn't have a black border. Thanks for posting!

That's a slightly different design than most of the Vietnam-made, subdued cloth CIBs that I've seen, 63 RECON. I think it is the fact that the rectangle surrounding the musket doesn't have a black border. Thanks for posting!

post-117117-0-79961100-1506774283.jpg

That is weird right, but on close examination, the musket and wreath, including it seems the jump wings below it, looks like Black wool, and hand embroidered, the rectangle seems machine embroidered, perhaps this is one of those cases where that lousy quality Black cotton thread was used, and typical, it hasn't held it's dye and faded out.

Cobra 6 Actual

You're probably right, patches ... at the best of times the sewing quality of many -- or, perhaps, most -- Vietnam-made patches left alot to be desired.

Nice Vietnam war era in country made CIB on a new jungle jacket addition to my collection.

Here's a very similar badge from my collection - the border is machine embroidered (and faded) while the rifle and wreath are hand embroidered.

post-122639-0-50240700-1506972546.jpg