The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Cobra 6 Actual

This is a little different: a leather name tag for a Third Award CIB holder

post-159798-0-84992300-1490714908.jpg

Quite awhile ago rd12 helped me to narrow him down to "Manuel Victor Montezdeoca". Really an interesting guy: served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam; was a Master Sergeant before picking up a commission. He died in 2013 at 96 years old and is buried at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetary. RIP, sir.

The name tag is a little dinged up, with some of what look like doggie chew marks on the left side. Still it's a really nice item. Anyone else seen one of these leather name tags with a CIB?

Here's a similar one from eBay. I think the one Cobra6 posted above was probably worn on a civilian jacket/flight jacket. Is it velcro backed? A great piece, worn proudly by the veteran. The best part is that he had his name embossed on it as well. I look at this in the same way I view CIB bracelets, belt buckles, lighters, etc... a way for combat vets to display their CIB!

post-122639-0-86911500-1490890523.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Here's a similar one from eBay. I think the one Cobra6 posted above was probably worn on a civilian jacket/flight jacket. Is it velcro backed? A great piece, worn proudly by the veteran. The best part is that he had his name embossed on it as well. I look at this in the same way I view CIB bracelets, belt buckles, lighters, etc... a way for combat vets to display their CIB!

Thanks for that info, rd12. That name tag is velcro-backed. And, in the absence of any indication that he was ever assigned to an aviation unit or function, I have to agree with you that this was most probably for civilian wear.

Cobra 6 Actual

rd12, you're right: those Third Award CIB holders are rare ... and, unfortunately, getting rarer as many of them were WWII-Korea-Vietnam combat vets, so they're getting on in years.

Obtaining an attributed metal Third Award CIB would be ultra-cool. As only a first award CIB holder, I would bow down to that badge, and what it represents, every night!

When I was in Vietnam (1968-1969) we had a Platoon Sergeant that had been in WWII and Korea, plus this was his second tour in Vietnam: what he didn't know about infantry ops wasn't worth knowing. We revered him. When he got wounded a big chunk of our platoon's morale went with him on that Medevac.

Whever you are out there, Sergeant Sparks, I want you to know that I finally got my S_ _ _ together ... but, now that I'm in my 70's sometimes I forget where I put it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty excited to find this one. Most likely Saudi made, put possibly Kuwaiti. This is from the First Gulf War. If you look at the lower corner you can see a little 6-color desert camo pattern. Hand embroidered.

post-122639-0-45315400-1491875628.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

All nice ones, rd12. I especially like the last one with the M-16 ... another one for my growing "want list." Thanks for posting!

Cobra 6 Actual

Hi rd12,

Sorry: that's just a pewter paracord bead in the center. I used it to lift the badge a bit to take the photo of the front. Here's the back:

post-159798-0-60061400-1492101960.jpg

It's a clutch back with the Balme hallmark.

Cobra 6 Actual

I saw where the 1st award version of this badge sold for $600!

Fortunately, I have a buddy in France that found this one for me at about the equivalent of ~$45 or so. These Balme CIBs do still turn up and without having to sell the house!

I saw where the 1st award version of this badge sold for $600!

Was that on eBay? I missed it. But that is absolutely crazy. These badges aren't exactly easy to find in the US, but they are out there. I bought mine here on the forum from a member in France. Even after shipping I paid less than $80. But Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks Joe, I thought you'd found some crazy screw-back version or something!

Nope, Bob, just a bog standard one. And, I agree on the Balme prices. In fact, I picked off a set of 3 Balme jump wings: Basic, Senior, and Master; for $45 total, shipping included, on eBay last year. So, yep, those badges are 'out there' and can be found for reasonable prices, on occasion.

lakenormanusa

Was that on eBay? I missed it. But that is absolutely crazy. These badges aren't exactly easy to find in the US, but they are out there. I bought mine here on the forum from a member in France. Even after shipping I paid less than $80. But Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

Yes. The same seller currently has a 2nd award and an EIB listed as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-RARE-Balme-Combat-Infantryman-Badge-CIB-Airborne-marked-J-Balme-France-/152432304060?hash=item237dac5fbc:g:U4cAAOSw32lYniKg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Just picked this up:

post-159798-0-47376400-1493073393.jpg

Size is 1.25" X 3.25". I think it is a printing or embossing block. Any better guesses are welcome!

Here's one I picked up recently, engraved on back with name and serial number

Very cool, always neat to be able to tie a CIB back to its original owner

Just picked this up:

Size is 1.25" X 3.25". I think it is a printing or embossing block. Any better guesses are welcome!

You've got me scratching my head with that one Joe. Is it heavy enough to be a master die? Is it carved or stamped?

Here's a recent bullion purchase of mine. Notice how there isn't a trigger guard, just sort of a sling.

post-122639-0-28506600-1493307993.jpg