DI identification

JBFloyd

Can someone ID the two DI's in this photo? One is apparently the 36th FA, but I can't find the other.

The pair on the left is indeed the 36th Artillery. I have looked through my ASMIC Artillery Catalog and the other pair is not artillery. I will look through some other catalogs tomorrow. Do you have any hint as to what branch they could be?

Retired

It's hard to see the details in the photo, but it looks to me like the DIs on the right might be a variant of the DI for the 29th Engineers.

Steve

The question comes from the son-in-law of a veteran who talked little about his WWII service.

"From what little he talked about his time in the war, he told us that he was in the Third Army (under Patton) Field Artillary. He also told us that he wasn't assigned to any one company, he stated that he was moved all over Belgium, Southern Germany, and Checklslovackia. He did tells us that he fought at the battle of the bulge, but not much else was ever told, other than it was bitterly cold!"

Unfortunately, there's not much to distinguish him from thousands of others with the same general history. If we can sort out the DI's, it may help pin down at least a little more precisely where his father-in-law was.

St. Louis has already claimed that the vet's records were burned in the fire, so we're looking for alternatives.

Thanks to all.

The 36th FA seems to fit the bill for the father-in-law's unit. The 29th Engineers DI will have to remain a mystery.