5th Amphibian Truck Company

gunbarrel

Interesting!

I show only two entries in my database for Amphibian Truck Companies with Donald Duck in their design: the 462nd and 480th.

I wonder if this was a generic Donald someone came up with in the unit, as opposed to a design created for the unit by one of Disney's artists.

Regardless, still a neat item.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I read a book some years ago called "The Quack Corps," written by a Marine DUKW driver, who served on Iwo (I think, and I forget where else - Okinawa?). Good book, and some good info about leadership; interesting descriptions of training to drive through the surf in Hawaii. Any likelihood this is the same unit?

Thrasher

As Disneydave suggested - because there is a Disney character on an insignia does not automatically mean Disney Co designed the insignia. I have one patch that the GI patch designer told me was a Disney character that he used (w/o asking Disney Co) and then added symbols reflective of the unit. I have an image of another design w/ a rather peirod looking Mickey Mouse, but it's not a Disney design either.

And, in some cases, Disney Co designed an insignia for a unit, which was inactivated, and a former unit subordinate to the one with the Disney design used it for their own. That may be the case w/ post #1 in this thread.