424th Infantry Regiment/106th Infantry Division

2ad82recon

Gentlemen a very good evening to you...I am trying to research the exact route that the 424th Infantry regiment/106th Infantry took back to Vielsalm after escaping the well published and well documented trap and susequent surrender of the 422nd and 423rd up on the Schnee Eiffel.

What is not so well known is that the 424th fought a valiant blocking and rearguard action ridge to ridge back to Vielsalm from 16th to 22nd December 1944

We are in the very basic planning stages of a commemerative march replicating this route this year for its 65th anniversary

Any help would be very grateful for this forgotten division....... thumbsup.gif

Regards

Lloyd

You might want to contact Carl W here, he's big into the 106th Infantry Division.

I think the Regiment also had help from the 112th Infantry Regiment (28th Division) after it retreated from the Ouren area.

Erwin

Hiya Erwin....yes Carl is aware of the planned commerative march....i have been in touch with him.Just looking for additional knowledge and research as you can never have enough.

See you in Maastricht in September ?.....:-)

Regards

Lloyd

My girl's gramps was in the 424th, serving on a forward outpost the day of the attack. The Germans killed everyone on the outpost in thick fighting, except him and a buddy, who were wounded and taken prisoner.

As you probably already know, the 424th was seperated from the 422nd and 423rd near Schonberg and after they were lost to the unit on Dec 18th, the 424th withdrew from St Vith on Dec 21st. They crossed the Salm River at Vielsam on 23 December and was attached to the 7th Armored Division and fought with the unit at Manhay until relieved on Dec 25th. (source: The Army Almanac)

I dunno if that helps, but oh well... ;) That should get you real close to where they were at.

-Ski

• 4 years later...

You might want to contact Carl W here, he's big into the 106th Infantry Division.

I think the Regiment also had help from the 112th Infantry Regiment (28th Division) after it retreated from the Ouren area.

Erwin

I am attempting to reach Carl W and ask a question about the 106th ID, how can I get in touch with him? thanks Steve

I am attempting to reach Carl W and ask a question about the 106th ID, how can I get in touch with him? thanks Steve

Not sure if he is on the forum but if he is you could PM him, otherwise I'll reach out to him with your question,I know him well

• 1 year later...

Hello,

i just got some items from this commander - Colonel Alexander D. Reid of the 424th

when I get all the items - I post them - i can't wait!!

thx

mike k

Nice one Mike,

Please do post them when you get them

did you get them from the eBay seller i posted the link to?

I got allot of the items from his son James A Reid who served in MACV SOG, when i get them ill post them up

yes - I got them from ebay - might get more items - fingers crossed - I have posted want I got in the Groupings section of the forum

I must say the James Reid items looked awesome!!