9 replies to this topic

#1 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,470
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hey all,

I am currently looking for the wand assembly to restore my museum's M1A1 Flamethrower. We've got two sets of tanks, but no wand for either of them. With the improvements I'm making in our WWII Galllery, I am hoping to get the display one completed as fast as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

V/r

Jon

#2 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

I've been looking for one for 13 years, with no leads yet.

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,887 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Get in touch with forum member ordnance.He may have a line on parts and or whos making displayable pieces.

RON

#4 ordnance

ordnance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 340
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Jon,

I'm afraid Robin is right. This is going to be a tough one.

There are quite a few M1A1 flame thrower tanks sets spread out among museums in the Army system and, unfortunately, virtually none of them have the wand assemblies. They came from the Pennsylvania State Guard about 25 or 30 years ago and the Center of Military History sent a lot of them around to various museums. But somebody decided to demil all the wands before turning them over to CMH. It's unknown why some rocket scientist figured they had to be destroyed before the museum system got them, but that's what happpened. Some of them had small pieced of the chopped up guns in the chests, but not much to work with.

I had a few small spare parts but 8 or 10 years ago they all went to a friend in the Mid-west who built a gun from scratch. He cast a number of the impossible to find parts and I think it eventually worked well enough to actually shoot. But it was a mix of real and repro parts and I don't think he made more than one unit. I have never seen or heard of another M1A1 wand reproduction, either a looker or a shooter. There are currently some reproduction M2-2 wands in the works that will look very nice and are made from original materials but nothing on the earlier types. Sorry.

#5 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

Jon,

I'm afraid Robin is right. This is going to be a tough one.

There are quite a few M1A1 flame thrower tanks sets spread out among museums in the Army system and, unfortunately, virtually none of them have the wand assemblies. They came from the Pennsylvania State Guard about 25 or 30 years ago and the Center of Military History sent a lot of them around to various museums. But somebody decided to demil all the wands before turning them over to CMH. It's unknown why some rocket scientist figured they had to be destroyed before the museum system got them, but that's what happpened. Some of them had small pieced of the chopped up guns in the chests, but not much to work with.

I had a few small spare parts but 8 or 10 years ago they all went to a friend in the Mid-west who built a gun from scratch. He cast a number of the impossible to find parts and I think it eventually worked well enough to actually shoot. But it was a mix of real and repro parts and I don't think he made more than one unit. I have never seen or heard of another M1A1 wand reproduction, either a looker or a shooter. There are currently some reproduction M2-2 wands in the works that will look very nice and are made from original materials but nothing on the earlier types. Sorry.

Yep, sounds exactly like what we've got. Two complete tank sets, with hoses and the wand grip, plus a smattering of possible wand parts.

When I first started looking for a wand, I was told that I've got the hard part, since functional tanks were extremely difficult to find. Definitely seems that the wand is significantly more difficult.

Its frustrating. This would be the perfect artifact to display with my PTO mannequin in our WWII gallery: fixed bail w/hawley liner, M42 jungle coveralls and a complete M1A1...

Oh well, I'm not givin up yet!

Jon

#6 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,677
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi Jon,
Not sure if you have checked this place. http://flamethrowerexpert.com/ If not they may be able to help you. Good luck. I sold mine years back to help on the down payment on my house. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/pinch.gif could sell it for much more now.

#7 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'm emailing him right now.

I looked at the parts and tanks that I've got in the collection. They're M1 flamethrowers, not M1A1s. This one is from lot 2, Serial Number 38.
There are a bunch of parts for a wand, including a nozzle and some other parts, but nothing complete.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/P2200318.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/P2200319.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/P2200320.jpg

#8 PaulsAirsoftArmory

PaulsAirsoftArmory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,580
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Good luck finding a flamethrower wand, the last one I saw went for $10,000 (yes, that is right). :blink:

#9 ordnance

ordnance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 340
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for that photo. That is unquestionably one of the Pennsylvania flame throwers distributed to museums by CMH. It has about the same amount of residual bits and pieces that most of them do. Some I've seen had a little less but none had more as they were all demilled roughly the same way. Sorry for that bit of news.

The wand project my friend built was started with about the same handful of parts and he succeeded. I'll check with him to see how many extra pieces he might still have and let you know if anything turns up.

I volunteer with the Oregon Military Museum, another National Guard entity, and we transferred our tank set to another facility that had the wand but no tanks. At the time, there wasn't an orginal example around to copy so we didn't think we'd ever be able to reproduce one. So we concentrated on putting together an M2-2 flame thower set, which we did a number of years back.

#10 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for that photo. That is unquestionably one of the Pennsylvania flame throwers distributed to museums by CMH. It has about the same amount of residual bits and pieces that most of them do. Some I've seen had a little less but none had more as they were all demilled roughly the same way. Sorry for that bit of news.

The wand project my friend built was started with about the same handful of parts and he succeeded. I'll check with him to see how many extra pieces he might still have and let you know if anything turns up.

I volunteer with the Oregon Military Museum, another National Guard entity, and we transferred our tank set to another facility that had the wand but no tanks. At the time, there wasn't an orginal example around to copy so we didn't think we'd ever be able to reproduce one. So we concentrated on putting together an M2-2 flame thower set, which we did a number of years back.

Thanks so much for the help! I haven't had a chance to get out to the Oregon museum yet. I was supposed to go out for the Oregon National Guard Association conference last year, but had a family conflict and couldn't go. It is definitely on my list of places to go!

I'm in contact with the curators/directors of all of the State museums (just had California and Louisiana in on Thursday) and I've put the call out to other museums on MUSENET for parts. Looking at what I've got and what I need, I don't think I'm too far off from completing a wand. If I have to get a reproduction wand tube made that I can secure the rest of the parts to, that's fine. I just want to be able to display a complete M1, instead of the tank set that I've got out there now.

Thanks!

Jon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users