Haitian Gendarmerie; Olympic Rifle Team 1924

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Well this photo sure took me by surprise anyone have info or background on this? Look at those medals!

Caption: Portrait of Olympic Rifle Team

Original caption: This photo shows the Olympic Rifle Team that will represent the little republic of Haiti in the International and Olympic Rifle matches to be held at Chalons and Rheins from June 7th to June 29th. These riflemen are members of the Haitian Gendarmerie, trained and officered by the U.S. Marine Corps; in the front row center are shown Lt. Col. Douglas C. McDougal, U.S. Marine Corps, and Major H. L. Smith, also of the Marine Corps. They accompanied the riflemen to France when they sailed from Port Au Prince. Credit: Corbis

haiti_rifles.jpg

El Bibliotecario

In as much as I can tell from the photo, I first thought the rifles werre M1903 Style T heavy barrel target rifles. But my source, LTC Wm Brophy's THE SPRINGFIELD M1903 RIFLES, says these rifles were first described by the DCM in 1929. That doesn't fit the photo date, so I enlarged it, and noticed an extension under the magazine well which I believe may be the point of attachment for a palm support. This makes me think they are Model 1924 International Free rifles, which fits the date of the photo.

I would speculate the array of medals on the fellow in the front rank at the left are marksmanship medals--I was once involved in military competition shooting, and its not unusual for the better shots to accumulate a lot of awards.

I'll leave comments on the Haitian Gendarmerie to others--but I was pleased to see the Marine officers finageled top quality rifles for their little team.

teufelhunde.ret
Neat photo and an unknown bit of USMC/Haitian Gendamerie history to me. I wonder how they did?

Semper Fi.....Bob

Bob, have been trying to find some info on this or Haitian teams - am drawing a blank in my search. I am fasinated by the uniforms the Gendamerie are wearing - looks to me straight up USMC to include insignia and GC??? Just cannot tell without image falling apart. S/f Darrell

not sure if this is info you haven't seen before, but I did a quick Google and came up with the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_at_t...Summer_Olympics

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/c...ummer/1924/SHO/

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/s...etres-team.html

a pretty interesting story!

teufelhunde.ret
not sure if this is info you haven't seen before, but I did a quick Google and came up with the following:

a pretty interesting story!

Those are good sites, from: http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/s...etres-team.html

"The United States team easily won this event, winning by 30 points with 676, using Springfield rifles, with Remington Palma ammunition, loaded with HiVel powder. But the real story was in third place. Haiti tied with France for second place with 646 from 750 possible. France won the barrage to earn the silver medal. In 1915, the US military, concerned about German influence and military presence in Haiti, occupied that country for the duration of World War I. A Haitian gendarmerie was formed, led by American Marines, Col. David McDougal and Major Harry Smith. Both had been involved in shooting sport, and taught the Haitian gendarmerie to shoot. The Haitians decided they wanted to compete in the Olympics, though they had no experience, and no funds to send a team. But they had desire. A team was formed and equipped by the U.S. Marines. Each man in the gendarmerie, not just the shooters, contributed to a fund by donating 5% of their salary for five months to raise a fund to finance the team. In Paris, the Haitian free rifle team was in second place for most of the competition, and it was only during the final series that they were caught by the French team."

I was looking for more pictures, hoping to find the team and Marine Coaches... Thank you for the links! s/f Darrell

Wow ! A great picture. Thanks for posting that teufelhunde. It's the first time I've been able to see the haitian cap device worn in a picture. Is that the same device on the Marines pyth helmet too?

Intereresting read on the weapons. I'm learning all the time.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

• 1 month later...

What I find especially interesting about this photograph is that it’s proof that a Marine serving as a rifle instructor can accomplish much with any and all students. Sgt. Faustin Wirkus, USMC, wrote in his The White King of La Gonave that both his Gendarmerie d'Haiti policemen and the Cacos were poor shots. The Marine Corps armed the Gendarmerie d'Haiti with Krag carbines, and when trained they were fine marksmen using a very good weapon---rather like the Haitians in the photo.

Best wishes, Jim

What a neat photograph and story. USMC involvement with the Haiti Gendarmerie was unknown to me until this appeared. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On the off-chance that someone might be interested, Sgt. Faustin Wirkus, USMC, claimed on page 190 of his The White King of La Gonave that he had trained four of the members of the Haitian Olympic team. The two men he trained at Petite Riviere were named Arthur St. Fort and Dupre Clement. The other two were trained at Port-au-Prince, and weren't named. Wirkus didn't comment on their rifles.

Best wishes, Jim

teufelhunde.ret

A photo-realist, kinetic original oil on board by James Bama. This painting, created as a cover for Stag Magzine, illustrates the outlandish true story of Faustin Wirkus, an American Marine who became king of a small island off Haiti in 1906. Faustus was made famous in the 1930s book "The Magic Isle" and was a cult figure thereafter. Interior text reads in part "For five fabulous years, by order of the U.S. Marine Corps, he ruled the mid-ocean island- voodoo, personal harem and all."

james_bama_8_417.jpg

• 3 years later...
teufelhunde.ret
Does anyone have any information about the members of the 1928, 1929, or 1930 USMC rifle teams?

Are you looking for someone specific?

• 2 weeks later...
Are you looking for someone specific?

No, not looking for anything specific. The other article posted was interested. Are there any written history books covering this era?