1st Lt. Jacob D. Fortinberry USMC

Kurt Barickman

normaninvasion

This has got to be one of the best reunion stories I've read here. Can't wait to read new addition's to the story. And to think this jacket was a victim of a rag mill. Bravo

Kurt, What a fantastic piece of history and I am sure that your vacation with the family was much more enjoyable than any island cruise!

• 3 months later...

Hey Kurt, I'm chomping at the bit to see the new matterial you collected on Lt. Fortinberry. I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to stay longer and search with you through the box and all the letters. I've shared the story with several friends about his daughter Peggy reading the letter to us that he had written shipboard, the night before landing on Tarawa, and then the letter about getting his silver star from Nimitz. I was also pretty impressed by your apparent breadth of knowledge: recognizing names and faces from some of his snapshots. It was really nice meeting you. Gary Bachman

Fantastic uniform and story of your very successful research, thanks for sharing, Kurt! It is SO refreshing to see a legitimate story of a family reaching out to assist a historian. I'm sure this scenario happens more often, we just don't hear/read about it.

What I'm accustomed to reading more frequently are the "...this uniform was my father's and I want it back" stories, and it turns out that the "family" isn't family at all! Ironic how that happens with the more "collectible" uniforms, to boot.

I think I can speak for most of us when I say that our intentions are to honor the service and memory of these brave men and women by preserving the material symbols of their service. I would hope that when the day comes that I'm no longer around, somebody (family or otherwise) would honor me this way. What I wouldn't give to have the uniforms of my father, uncles, grandfather (Pearl Harbor Survivor), Great Grandfather (1900's Marine), etc...

And to the Fortinberry Family, THANK YOU for allowing Kurt to honor your father's service and in turn, to share his story and educate the rest of us.

Semper Fidelis,

Ski

Kurt Barickman

Gary,

Yes and thanks again. It too was a privilege to meet you and thanks again for the positve comments and putting me together with the daughters. I have a bunch of scans to add to this thread but the format that Peggy's husband Lloyd sent them to me is one I am having problems shrinking to post on the forum. Anybody know how to change PDF to JPEG?

Nov. 29, 2010 67th anniversary of DDay on the island of Betio in the Tarawa Atoll

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Started doing this, got email conversions that contained unsafe links. Got any other ideas??

Kurt Barickman

• 10 months later...
wwIIfighterpilots

Kurt,

Just saw this one. Amazing story and wonderful connection to family. I am sure it means a great deal to them to have their dad remembered and honored and to have his items/legacy cherished and preserved.

God bless this hero.

• 4 years later...
Raidercollector

Hey Kurt

I just stumbled on this thread, What a great uniform and story. And the follow up research with the family and Photo's. Like said before,What a small world.

Nick

Kurt,

Have never commented on this topic, though I believe we talked via PM a few years ago about it, and I never tire of seeing it bumped up. One of the best WWII Marine uniforms on the forum. A phenomenal uniform, with an even better portrait tying it all together, and great history directly from the family. Some of the best items I own were brought to life through the family.

• 2 years later...