Vietnam Helicopters

Rotorwash

or is it the CH-37 Mohave?

post-5218-1235441120.jpg

Klorvin,

Good eye! That is a CH-37 Mojave. The CH-54 came in country later. It is probably a CH-37B (as is your photo), but there's not enough resolution to tell. Anyway, here's a few more CH-37 pics, most are not Vietnam photos.

Ray

Couldn't find a parking spot!:

CH-370022_1280x832-1.jpg

CH-370011_1280x848-1.jpg

UH-1650_1280x854.jpg

Some of the many slingloads carried by Mojaves:

CH-37-3.jpg

CH-37-12.jpg

CH-370039_522x800.jpg

CH-370040_1280x848.jpg

CH-370036_547x800.jpg

CH-370014_1280x887.jpg

CH-37 with her mouth open:

CH-370025_1280x799.jpg

Klorvin Borno

As a Crewchief slingload operations were usually "fun" to do since we didn't normally do them, however I felt that night time slingloads using NVG (Night Vision Goggles) was incredibly dangerous. To me it just seemed that everyone involved really couldn't see well enough to safely conduct the operation, especially since most all were just routine missions mainly for training.

as a kid in the mid 60s, I saw a CH-37 at a local air show. I seem to recall a demonstration of loading a jeep on board. At any rate, that helo made for a very cool display and left a big impression on me. Thanks for sharing the photos! thumbsup.gif

Terry

as a kid in the mid 60s, I saw a CH-37 at a local air show. I seem to recall a demonstration of loading a jeep on board. At any rate, that helo made for a very cool display and left a big impression on me. Thanks for sharing the photos! thumbsup.gif

Terry

Terry,

You're most welcome. If you want to relive your 60's childhood just come on down to Ft. Rucker and visit the Army Aviation Museum (shameless plug for my favorite helo destination). This old girl is waiting for you.

Ray

PICT8814.jpg

PICT8815.jpg

PICT8829.jpg

PICT8830.jpg

PICT8827.jpg

This is the Mike model on Redstone or at least what it used to look like. They did a bang up job on it. The last time I saw it vandals had nearly ripped the miniguns completely off, they were dangling, someone had put a hole through the starboard side cargo door glass and the Thumper was in bad shape. Pisses me off when even on a secure installation like RSA crap like this happens...and right in front of PEO AVN!!!

post-2582-1235542516.jpg

Snake 36,

Thanks for the INFANT shot and the patches. I was also very interested in the Mike model at Redstone. This is how she looked the last time I was there. Yours look much better. I'd love to see what else you have of her. By the way, she has both the sight for the M-134 minigun and the M-5 40mm grenade launcher mounted inside. That's a setup that was only tested/used in the states. no Vietnam bird that I have seen was ever armed with both the M21 system and the M-5. However, I've learned to Never say Never with regard to Vietnam armament configurations and if someone could prove me wrong, you'd make my day!

Ray

PICT7914.jpg

PICT7917.jpg

Here you can see the sights for both systems mounted on the co-pilot side:

PICT7903.jpg

PICT7900.jpg

I used to eat my lunch in the Mike at RSA. It came from the Space & Rocket Center where I worked when I was in High School and I loved to take my breaks in it. I didnt have the foresight then to photograph anything. None of the glass was oversprayed back then. It was stock. I have to say there is nothing like shuttle fries and folding down a sight on an unsuspecting space camper. I was glad to see it prior and you can see it looked really good but over time really sad to see it just rotting in the sun out there. I havent been back in three years but that might change soon.

I'll see if I can find my photos for you. In the meantime one from Bob Coveney's album.

post-2582-1235548581.jpg

Snake 36,

Thanks for the pic. I have actually downloaded all of Mr Coveney's 190th shots. They are awesome! I believe the crew chief painted the nose art on that bird if I remember right. Looking forward to seeing some of yours. By the way, if you have Mr. Coveney's contact info, I'd really appreciate it if you could e-mail me with that info.

Here's a couple of dad's pics. The first is Gladiator 36 and the second is dad on a gun run 190th AHC from 1969.

Ray

vietnam93.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Rotorwash, can you post some pictures of the cockpit of the CH-37? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Swag,

Would you believe I crawled up in the H-19, H-21, H-34, CH-47, but NOT the dang Mojave! That jeep was in the way, so I just shot exterior and interior shots. I'll try to get up there next month when I go back down to the museum.

Ray

Swag,

Would you believe I crawled up in the H-19, H-21, H-34, CH-47, but NOT the dang Mojave! That jeep was in the way, so I just shot exterior and interior shots. I'll try to get up there next month when I go back down to the museum.

Ray

*sigh* yer killing me Ray. hahaha

No problem, if you can get some pictures that would be awesome.

Cobrahistorian

Here's one of my favorites, just because it is an oddball. When the Navy's Seasprite got its second engine, they also designed in a TAT-102 minigun turret for close encounters of the nasty type during CSAR missions. The C and D models both had the system, but it didn't work very well and there were several accounts of the system malfunctioning and firing on its own (once while on short final to a destroyer flight deck!) The system was eventually removed and faired over.

HH-2D001.jpg

Jon,

Gotta love the armed Sprite! Thanks

Swag,

Here's a little something to tide you over:

H-19:

PICT0412.jpg

PICT0410.jpg

PICT0409.jpg

H-21:

PICT8853.jpg

PICT8855.jpg

PICT8856.jpg

H-34:

PICT3115.jpg

PICT3117.jpg

PICT3118.jpg

CH-47A:

PICT8839.jpg

As you can see, I had to try out the seats on several of them. Man, I wish I could fly one like you guys. I hope you enjoy these.

Ray

Wow! That is close. Looks like a "purple" team. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of a Cobra in flight with slicks before. Thanks! OK, so now I have to post one as well. Hmmm....let me see. How about this one?

Doorgunning old school. This is the Utility Tactical Transport Helicopter Company (UTTHCO) from 1962. This is an early B model. Check out the 2.75 in. "Mighty Mouse" rockets carried with quad 60's.

Ray

ReuterUTT0014-1.jpg

Snake 36,

Good stuff! Keep em coming! Here's you an unusual gun setup. This pic is from the 238 AWC website. The 238 used a unique swinging mount for their M-60's similar to the Sagami mount used earlier in the war. You'll note that this is a UH-1B with a M60D (almost all gunships used M-60A's) and the M-21 minigun system. Now this is an unusual bird!

Ray

pic057.jpg

pic010.jpg

Just in case you ever wondered what a Firefly mission looked like from the inside....

Wow! That looks like the cluster type light made up of C-130 landing lights. Here's a pic showing the setup

ArmyAviationDigest-Nov67p-16.jpg

Here's an example I photographed at Ft. Rucker:

PICT1783.jpg

PICT1786.jpg

PICT1787.jpg

Thanks, this thread is getting interesting!

Ray