para glider pilots badge - original?

STALAGLUFT1

Cobrahistorian

I'd say it was wartime, British made. THe pin correlates with British-style pins of the period.

They are not, however Glider Pilot wings. They're Glider/Airborne wings, commonly referred to as "Paraglider" wings, since they have both the parachute and the glider on them instead of one or the other.

Very nice piece!

Jon

Sadly, I think that these are cast reproductions. We have some very well respected airborne collectors on this forum, who will and can tell you more than you thought possible about these badges.

Still, I think that these are cast badges, and likely reproductions.

Patrick

Hey don't feel bad. You are correct, the pin assembly is the type typically associated with Commonwealth (England, Australia, India) manufacture. Also, it is also very hard to know for sure from a picture on the computer. Still, to me, it looks like a cast wing, and that is almost always a bad sign.

Regards

Patrick

The are FAKE not because of construction but because the originals were made in JAPAN. These wings were a local creation within the 11th Airborne Division, made and worn on Occupation duty, 1946-1948. Thereafter, tehy may have been worn by troops who carried them on from service in Japan, BUT| why oh why would they have been made in BRITAIN?

Does anybody have a no BS original to compare?

-Ski

I believe that the British had very strict standards about what could and could not be marked Sterling.

Patrick

Cobrahistorian

I did wonder about the origins, considering that particular badge is associated with the 11th Airborne which was in the Pacific.

Not feelin bad about the mis-ID, just frustrated. Been doing this a while and I figured I knew better. It really has gotten to the point where without provenance, EVERYTHING is a repro.

Jon

pathfinder505
Can we see the reverse of those wings?

I can post one this weekend. I just had these pics on my computer. I will post the patch that is on the other sleeve.

post-197-1234493447.jpg

I too feel that this is a Para Glider wing copy that has the rear British style pin back. I have never come across what I felt was an orignal WW2 or occupation period British made Para Glider wing. Here is the only Japanese made occupation period Para Glider wing that I have ever come across. This wing thas the chrome like or maybe rodium plating over brass that you see on Sendai paratrooper wings.

post-1389-1234498712.jpg

post-1389-1234498788.jpg

Here is one. It was used during the occupation of Japan.

This senior grade Para Glider wing is similar to the one on this oval but it is marked STERLING. The Japanese made occupation period paratrooper wings that I have come across are usually marked SILVER instead of STERLING.

post-1389-1234499183.jpg

post-1389-1234499195.jpg

These next two Para Glider wings are similar to the STERLING GEMSCO wing but made afterwards as the clutch back one is hallmarked GEMSCO N.Y. I could use an opinion on these if they are copies or original.

post-1389-1234499574.jpg

post-1389-1234499586.jpg

post-1389-1234499600.jpg

post-1389-1234499612.jpg

This is a master grade Para Glider wing that is hallmarked N.S. MEYERS NEW YORK with their shield but is clutch back. I once lost out on a pin back version of this wing that looked real. Any opinions on this wing.

post-1389-1234499785.jpg

post-1389-1234499797.jpg

Lastly I have a fake cast piece. This was one of my first pieces that I bought maybe 15 to 20 years ago. I thought it was real but learned otherwise a number of years afterwards. This is one of the ways you learn by getting ripped off every now and then.

post-1389-1234499982.jpg

post-1389-1234499994.jpg

My concern on the above badges, that are claimed to be Japanese made, have the typical US made roller clasp. I have a collection of Japanese made occupation wings, and all have the typical C hook clasp with a straight pin, not the Aussie/British style pin.

The following images were copied off of eBay over the years. This Para Glider wing is I feel another Japanese made occupation period piece with the typical "C" pin catch.

post-1389-1234544330.jpg

post-1389-1234544341.jpg

Here is a pin back Para Glider wing made by N.S. Meyers which is similar to the one that I was a little slow in making up my mind about to buy when someone else bought it.

post-1389-1234544558.jpg

post-1389-1234544574.jpg