7th Infantry Division with Airborne tab

Antoon

Has someone a picture of the 7th Infantry Division patch with the Airborne tab?

What time period?

Are you asking in reference to something you are buying?

I know which one he is talking about. It's a old cut-edged Red on black version that either was unofficially worn or was a fantasy piece.

-Ski

Captainofthe7th

Ski, I think I did see one before! It was on eBay a while back.

Lars, the 24th was actually authorized to my knowledge. I just sold the tab a while ago. Sometime in the late 50s the 24th did an Airborne stint.

Rob

Ski, I think I did see one before! It was on eBay a while back.

Lars, the 24th was actually authorized to my knowledge. I just sold the tab a while ago. Sometime in the late 50s the 24th did an Airborne stint.

Rob

You know, that's the one I was talking about. My bad!

-Ski

In the 1980's the LRSC/LRSU Long Range Surveillance Company/Unit in all active duty divisions and some National Guard were Airborne qualified and wore the Airborne Tab above their unit SSI. This included the 7th ID

Is there a list which active units in the 1980's have a LRSC/LRSU who used an Airborne tab.

And what was the color of the tabs they used?

In the 1980's the LRSC/LRSU Long Range Surveillance Company/Unit in all active duty divisions and some National Guard were Airborne qualified and wore the Airborne Tab above their unit SSI. This included the 7th ID

Also the 47th Div wore a tab here in Iowa later to be the 34th.Had a LURSU unit out of Waterloo Iowa, Army National Guard.Was once D-Troop 1/194th Air Cavalry then later reorganized as a Long Range Survaliance Unit if I remember correctly

RON

The 7th ID, as a division, was not an airborne unit. One has to look at the division in two timeframes to determine if any individuals or sub units may have been on jump status - if so, they were very, very few.

The timeframes were (a) Korea - 50's until the late 60's or 70's. Someone with initimate knowledge of the division would need to confirm if any LRRPs were at division level or small divisionl units on jump status. My gut reaction is that the LRRPS were Corps or Army level units at the time. The division inactivated in Korea.

The second period was when the division was activated and stationed at Ford Ord for a few years (80's). The one unit that may have had individuals on jump status would bave been the LRRP Platoon of the 107th MI Bn (CEWI). Selected individuals may have been on jump status beyond this platoon but they were very few.

I do not have firm knowledge as to what color of abn tab the 107TH MI Bn (CEWI) LRRP Platoon may have used but guess is was the white on blue.

The red on black airborne tab (cut edge) mentioned above was used by the 24th Infantry Division Airborne Brigade in the 1950s. The division was in Germany at that time. The Airborne Brigade consisted of a HQ element and 2 different Battle Groups (large Infantry Battalions and a support slice that formed each Battle Group of Regiment).

The red on black merrow edge airborne tab that exists today is worn only above one of the Special Operations SSI (red arrow head with black symbol)...forget the title.

Teaching point. The information on the use of airborne tabs is very sketchy at best. A unit may have had sub unit elements wear an airborne tab for a period. In another period, the use of the airborne tab / jump mission ceased. Bottom line. It can change with the wind.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah the LRSD- Long Range Surveillance Detachment

I knew a guy that wore this patch as a "Combat" patch/SSI-he went to Panama with 7th ID

I always thought that was a cool looking "combat patch"

If I recall correctly, it was Yellow and black

The 7th ID, as a division, was not an airborne unit. One has to look at the division in two timeframes to determine if any individuals or sub units may have been on jump status - if so, they were very, very few.

The timeframes were (a) Korea - 50's until the late 60's or 70's. Someone with initimate knowledge of the division would need to confirm if any LRRPs were at division level or small divisionl units on jump status. My gut reaction is that the LRRPS were Corps or Army level units at the time. The division inactivated in Korea.

The second period was when the division was activated and stationed at Ford Ord for a few years (80's). The one unit that may have had individuals on jump status would bave been the LRRP Platoon of the 107th MI Bn (CEWI). Selected individuals may have been on jump status beyond this platoon but they were very few.

I do not have firm knowledge as to what color of abn tab the 107TH MI Bn (CEWI) LRRP Platoon may have used but guess is was the white on blue.

The red on black airborne tab (cut edge) mentioned above was used by the 24th Infantry Division Airborne Brigade in the 1950s. The division was in Germany at that time. The Airborne Brigade consisted of a HQ element and 2 different Battle Groups (large Infantry Battalions and a support slice that formed each Battle Group of Regiment).

The red on black merrow edge airborne tab that exists today is worn only above one of the Special Operations SSI (red arrow head with black symbol)...forget the title.

Teaching point. The information on the use of airborne tabs is very sketchy at best. A unit may have had sub unit elements wear an airborne tab for a period. In another period, the use of the airborne tab / jump mission ceased. Bottom line. It can change with the wind.

Hope this helps.

Thanx -- I was just about to point out that the entire 24th ID wasn't Airborne -- just one brigade, in Germany. These guys, by the way, went to Lebablon in '56, but did not jump.

G

The 24th Inf Div inherited two battle Groups -- 1-187 and 1-503 -- from the 11th Abn Div, which went to Germany in 1957 only to be inactivated less than a year later.

The 24th CALLED their Abn units the "24th Abn Brigade" and that title shows up in records re the 1958 (not 1956) intervention in Lebanon. The "Brigade" was locked and loaded to jump into Beirut but at the last moment was re-directed to use the planes/fuel for a "training jump" into Turkey -- a show of force op for the benefit of the Soviets and Syrians.

I knew a guy (later an SF MSG) who made the jump. He stated that they jumped with their combat loads, including lots of small arms ammo and grenades and mortar and bazooka rounds. But they did not turn any IN, as the Turks "promoted" it away from the Rich Yankees. IIRC one BG stayed in Turkey a week or so training with the Turks, then went back to Germany, and the other air-landed at Beirut from Turkey.

As Paul Harvery would say -- "The Rest of the Story"!

Schottzie has the 24th Abn Bde CG's fatigue shirt -- you can see where he changed from 11th to 24th with tab to 7th.

G

• 8 years later...

I am revisiting this post as I have had this subdued 7th ID SSI that I came across at an insignia show some time ago. Someone could have simply had the wording added but I have not seen another pop up for sale. I was wondering if someone from this short lived unit had this added to one of their SSIs. Anyone seen one of these before?

post-1389-0-21112200-1513280419_thumb.jpg

Along with the LRS unit that existed in the Division, there was also a short lived (1988 - 1990) Rigger Detachment in the

7th S & T Bn of the Division. And like the LRS unit they also wore a Airborne Tab above the SSI. In both cases the tab was never "authorized" so much as it was tolerated. This habit of wearing a Airborne Tab above a SSI that is not authorized it by the IOH has been greatly restricted over the past few years regardless of the sub-units status. However, with the advent of Velcro on the duty uniforms we still see the occasional wearing of Airborne tabs above SSI's not authorized them.

• 4 years later...

I served as a ranger in the LRSD from about 86 on.  The airborne tab (black background with gold letters) and maroon beret was authorized .  We were attached to a AIRCAV unit (2/9th and 1/10th).  Can't remember which came first.  My MOS was 11B5VQ6.  Ante Omnes! 

On 11/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Ranger75 said:

I served as a ranger in the LRSD from about 86 on.  The airborne tab (black background with gold letters) and maroon beret was authorized .  We were attached to a AIRCAV unit (2/9th and 1/10th).  Can't remember which came first.  My MOS was 11B5VQ6.  Ante Omnes! 

Thanks for sharing this information which is very informative when it comes from a veteran of the unit itself.  After posting the above shoulder patch I have been looking for more information concerning this LRSD.  It would appear that there were two different eras of Long Range Surveillance Detachments that were part of the 7th Infantry Division.  There was the one that existed while the 7th ID was stationed at Fort Ord, California, before the downsizing of the military closed the base down in 1994.  The 7th ID was moved to I believe Fort Lewis, Washington, where the second LRSD was formed as LRSD Detachment, 107th Military Intelligence Battalion, 7th Infantry Division.  I found the below photographs of this unit, their beret flash, oval, unit crest and they are wearing the yellow on black airborne tab above the 7th ID SSI.   However I have found nothing on the first LRSD stationed at Fort Ord except this drawing of one of their troopers in a book titled, "US Army Rangers & LRRP Units 1942-87" by Gordon L. Rottman.  This was when the 7th ID was a light infantry division and on the maroon beret you can make out the red and white beret flash that was worn during the Vietnam War by a number of different air cavalry units.  I'm assuming their oval matched the beret flash but I have no idea which unit crest would have been worn nor if the yellow on black airborne tab was authorized wear for this time period.   

LRSD Post Ft Ord 7th Inf Div  (1).jpg

LRSD Post Ft Ord 7th Inf Div  (3).jpg

LRSD Post Ft Ord 7th Inf Div  (1).png

1960 70's, 107th MI BN., LRSD,7th INF. DIV.JPG

s-l500 (1).jpg

7th ID LRSD.JPG

s-l1600 (44).jpg

post-34986-0-00491900-1402683604.jpg

I just realized that I got the unit crest wrong.  The correct unit crest for the second LRSD at Fort Lewis, Washington, is pictured below.

16063.jpg

The men in the photo are from Ft. Ord.  I served with all of them a long time ago.  I can even name them.  I will ask when the flash changed but when I was there we had the red and white flash and oval. Stand-by.

So I chatted with one of the guys in the photo.  I left in the summer 87 and he left at the end of 88. I was released from LRSD 2nd Sqdn Recon 9th Cav Ft Ord CA FC.  My MOS was 11B2VQ6.  That means the flash and oval changed after the summer of 87. He also inferred that the whole unit moved to become a MI managed detachment. As I recall when I was transferred to Ft Ord, we were a part of the 7th MI.  

2 hours ago, Ranger75 said:

So I chatted with one of the guys in the photo.  I left in the summer 87 and he left at the end of 88. I was released from LRSD 2nd Sqdn Recon 9th Cav Ft Ord CA FC.  My MOS was 11B2VQ6.  That means the flash and oval changed after the summer of 87. He also inferred that the whole unit moved to become a MI managed detachment. As I recall when I was transferred to Ft Ord, we were a part of the 7th MI.  

Many thanks for the clarification.  So did the LRSD at Fort Ord initially wear this 9th Cav unit crest on the red and white flash?

s-l1600 (31).jpg