WWII Patch Album Collection (Part II)

Teamski

(The original thread was moved to the Sold forum and could no longer be posted in)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=35191

(Teamski @ Feb 7 2009, 11:12 AM)

And home it is! I got the album today and she's a beaut! I am in the process of sleeving the pages with Life Magazine sized, non-acid sleeves. They fit perfectly. A couple small repairs to the binding and it's good to go. I used a brush to clean off glue and dust residue on the patches, and it did wonders. Thanks Tigerfan!!

-Ski

You may also want to look into preserving the pages from further detoration. My wife is a scrapbooker. There exists a spray you can put on old paper products that neutralizes the acid in the paper. For something like this you are going to need a lot of it. Check with your local scrapbooking store.

Thanks for the advice. The pages are really supple, though, and don't have a lot of evidence of damage. I originally included acid-free backboards to back-up the pages, but it made the album ended up way too thick, of course. Here's a shot of what it looks like with the sleeves.

-Ski

post-3043-1234100476.jpg

A fascinating thing I found while looking the album over was the fact that I believe at least one divisional patch was probably made by the Patch King to fill holes in his stock. This 29th ID is one of them. A careful look at the back revealed a non-traditional return thread pattern for the era. It almost looked like what you would see on a German made patch and the color of the thread was brighter than usual. It makes sense that the Patch King would of done this to keep sales going. Anybody else see this sort of thing?

-Ski

post-3043-1234101022.jpg

What a tresure!!! Congrats, Ski, nobody deserves it more than you (and me). It's interesting that the first owner glued some patches in upside down, like they were depicted in the PK catalogues... Please post the other pages too, so we can share the album when it is deleted from the "sold" section.

Lars

USAF must be paying better these days!!

OR

Is retirement kicking in already!

Seriously Ski, that is one heck of a piece of history for so many reasons.

This is my retirement present. I'm out on May 31st.

-Ski

What a tresure!!! Congrats, Ski, nobody deserves it more than you (and me). It's interesting that the first owner glued some patches in upside down, like they were depicted in the PK catalogues... Please post the other pages too, so we can share the album when it is deleted from the "sold" section.

Lars

I didn't know the Sold section entries get deleted. I'll post the photos that Tigerfan uploaded if I get his permission.

-Ski