Early USMC Helicopter Squadron Patches

Fly USMC

This is a small (For Now) collection of early Marine helicopter squadron patches. HMR stands for Marine Transport Helicopter Squadron. From left to right top to bottom. HMR 161, HMR 163 (2 Variations), HMR 261 (first "Dragon fly" version), HMR 261 (3rd version), and HMR 264.

HMR 161 was the first USMC Helicopter squadron to fly combat missions (Korea). VMO-6 was there at the same time, but had both fixed and rotary wing aircraft.

Some of these are in Eugene "Mule" Holmbergs book (And so are several of my other patches). This book is a must have for the post WWII USMC aviation patch collector. If interested, google his name. He can be seen from time to time at the USMC aviation museum at MCAS Miramar, CA.

Always looking for USMC helicopter Aviation related items. Any one have an original HMR or HMR(L) 361 patch???

Enjoy and Semper Fly

John

post-5056-1233983156.jpg

I've got a yearbook for a Marine helicopter squadron - it's at my shop shop but I'll try to remember to photograph it so you can see it and see if it's something you want to go with your nice collection.

• 2 years later...

Update to this thread. I have picked up a few more Early Marine Patches over the past year or so. Here is the collection as of now.

First the group shot then individuals

post-5056-1327378985.jpg

That is all for this posting. I have two more that came from the estate of an enlisted pilot. They are in a frame (With other Korean war era patches) and I will do a seperate post for those

Emjoy,

John

post-5056-1327379286.jpg

post-5056-1327379298.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Great patches, John. The designs are fantastic, I imagine you had to search long and hard for a number of these. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work!

Will

• 1 year later...

Here is another.

John,

Very nice patches! I like how you have such a focused collection. Also, I really like this plaque and jacket.

...Kat

vintageproductions

Looks great. That small 362 is really nice.

I think I recognize a few in the displays....

So are you enjoying retirement yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest addition to the collection is HMR 363. They were involved with the post war / early 50s testing of atomic weapons.

post-5056-0-93034900-1395578263.jpg