Officer's Coat, Engineers 77th Div. (Bullion Patch)

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Well the waiting is over for me and my purchase from ebay finally came.

Id like to introduce you to a captain of the 302nd Engineers 77th Div of WW1...

The quality is better then I thought and I think it might be a tailor made in France(possibly,please chime in!) the inside of the sleeves is lined out of stripe type frabric

The collar devices are greatttt, this is my first complete Officers tunic to my slowly growing collection and I did not know that after pinning the the devices on that they would also stitch both ends down for more security.

The patches are just awesome,the discharge stripe is bright red and it looks great,and over sea stripes just have little baby nips nothing bad at all...and of course the Bullion patch is just a Gem,I love it...this is hands down the nicest 77th Division item I have in my growing collection. Thanks 37th For posting the heads up on the forum I would have never found this!

Enjoy the photos and of course any information or imput is appreciated!!!!

post-3581-1233867921.jpg

post-3581-1233867926.jpg

post-3581-1233867930.jpg

Great catch! It's really a beaut! Now, to find a good Sam Browne rig to go with it.

Is there any sort of label on the interior, or in one of the pockets? I'd estimate that's your best chance of determining where it was made.

Congrats!

Thrasher

FightenIrish35

Yup now I got to find a nice sam brown belt..No,theres no tag inside the pockets or inside the inner jacket...the waulity of fabric used is quit thick with like a cushing in between its extremly well made :)

FightenIrish35

Thanks Mark ..the patch is really turned me on when i saw it ive really been wanting a nice officers tunic of the 77th...and this one definitly is fufilling my needs!!!

All I can say is "W-O-W!" jeal0001.gif If that was 37th we woulda had a biddin war! I am glad I was able to help you get it. Looks like a 1st rate tunic! I feel that way when ever I find one. I love my Engineers too! One of my Faves!

Again, very nice! thumbsup.gif

FightenIrish35

Thanks guys!!! If this was made in America Would it have American made buttons or did they use european buttons as well.....The button on the back in a circle stat...J.R GAUNT AND SONS LONDON ENGLAND...my father lended me his book RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS,BICENTENIAL EDITION and they are listed in the book but all there is in the book is the companys name and 1870-present day....would this be safe to say it was a European made tunic because the buttons are european?? think.gif

Croix de Guerre
Thanks guys!!! If this was made in America Would it have American made buttons or did they use european buttons as well.....The button on the back in a circle stat...J.R GAUNT AND SONS LONDON ENGLAND...my father lended me his book RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS,BICENTENIAL EDITION and they are listed in the book but all there is in the book is the companys name and 1870-present day....would this be safe to say it was a European made tunic because the buttons are european?? think.gif

The fact that the buttons are J.R. Gaunt is a good sign,,but what about the inside of the blouse? No label I guess or you wouldv'e said. Are there shirt collar studs along the inside of the collar? This is no garuntee but a lot of these men spent the money on a "walking out" uniform to wear home for the girls so I would say there is a high probabilty that this uniform is French made. Is there a name anywhere or even initials? Great Tunic! thumbsup.gif

FightenIrish35
The fact that the buttons are J.R. Gaunt is a good sign,,but what about the inside of the blouse? No label I guess or you wouldv'e said. Are there shirt collar studs along the inside of the collar? This is no garuntee but a lot of these men spent the money on a "walking out" uniform to wear home for the girls so I would say there is a high probabilty that this uniform is French made. Is there a name anywhere or even initials? Great Tunic! thumbsup.gif

Thanks Croix!!!! Sadly No label inside the tunic and no name or initials anywhere...im not sure exactly what the shirt collar stubs your talking about but there are no extra hooks or anything around the collar besides the hooks in the front to close the collar shut..here are some pics of inside around the collar area....

post-3581-1233887202.jpg

post-3581-1233887221.jpg

post-3581-1233887235.jpg