• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

The 1/2 wings were used for a variety of things, including as a kite or fixed balloon pilot, sea plane crew and aviation cadet. 

As a general rule of thumb if it was capable of independent flight, then the pilot wore the full wings.

There is a book called "Contact" (I think that is the title but I may be wrong) that lists the first 6-10,000 naval aviators and provides a brief biosketch.  I'll see if I can dig up my copy and see what they have to say about your guy.

Patrick

#52 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

Bob's site is always a must see and visit resource for wings. 

Here are some examples of "biographical" wings, including some to airship pilots.

http://www.ww2wings....us/usnavy.shtml

#53 roadwayguy

roadwayguy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 10,855
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

Again I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.  Ironically, I did find the ww2wings site after I'd posted here earlier this afternoon.  Lots of valuable information, especially when clicking on the pics.

#54 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

yep.  Bob has done the most incredible job of putting together his webpage.  Best. One. Ever.!!!

And I'm not saying that because I owe him money hah!

#55 bschwartz

bschwartz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,185
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

I wish you owed me money Patrick, then I could buy some more wings.  Ha.  Thanks for the kind words guys.  It's much appreciated.  Just wish I had more time to update the site.  I'm sitting on about 40+ updates right now.  Thanks for the patience everyone who submitted new items.  I promise I will get them out to the site.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users