How to remove oxidation

37thguy

Mark -

If you put a small dab of mineral oil on it, tell me what happens.

I was thinking something similar: just wiping it with a a cloth and oil.

You could always just give it to me and then you wouldnt have to worry about seeing that unsightly oxidation. thumbsup.gif

There's always one in the crowd! ;)

Thanks guys, but will that remove the green oxidation?

Mark,

Thing is, from what little I can tell in the photo, I'm thinking the piece has some copper in the alloy - that color corrosion usually comes from electrolytic (right word?) interaction between dissimilar metals touching, often in the presence of moisture.

Anyhoo, my point was that using mineral oil (a pretty much inert lubricant) or a light wax (microcrystalline is best, by far) will tell you HOW attached the crud is because if only slightly, then it will rub right off. If the crud has penetrated the actual metal material (which, frankly, resembles some sort of a bronze alloy, to me), then it may take a stronger solvent to remove/neutralize it without damaging the patina.

Finally, what I've seen some restorers do, in a safe way, is to simply spray a metal piece with matte or gloss clear acrylic - which has the effect of putting a nice looking protective surface on there AND (usually) blending out the corrosion without damaging the artifact.

There are several different ways to clean the copper oxide from your whistle. But I don't think there is a way to clean the verdigris without effecting the rest of the patina.

Vinegar, lemon juice, coca cola are a few cleaning aids that can be used to clean the verdigris, because of their acidic base.

I would do a google search, there are many sites dedicated to cleaning pennies, vintage jewelry etc.

Good luck on cleaning you whistle :blink:

Thanks everyone (except 148thsoldier w00t.gif ) I'll do a Google and see what I can do. I'd rather leave it alone than destroy the patina. Will post if I get it right!

I'm not sure with this one, usually some form of verdigris or oxidisation is part of the patina, i'm unsure whether you can remove the verdigris without taking some of the rest. In all honesty, i'd leave it, adds to the look. I'm not sure what Tino means by vinegar and lemon juice?!!!!!!!! Both would only ADD more verdigris, quickly, to copper or brass. The people who age things up, and crafts people going for antique looks on their works, use a concuction of said ingredients mixed with a few other things for an 'overnight' type verdigris. It's the acidic type, that does it.

Just spray it with WD-40: let sit for 10 min., & wipe off with paper towel > will not change patina, but will remove all dirt, & probably the green stuff.

Hello!!!

I use "Lana de acero" but in english I do not know how translate. Is a ball of thin steel filament. It is used to remove oxidation and rub metal part to obtain a good touch. Remember to use a coefficient of rough of cero (0).

Yesterday I use a ball to remove the oxidation from a 200 years old knife. It was full (oxidation) red and now sparkle. How I use the Zero coefficient and the marks and draws on the blade were not affected.

YES!!! It is the word.

Not use quimical products as cocacola, vinager or metal cleaner liquids because they destroy the resistance of the metal.

They would be good for cleaning hardened metals and finishes like chromium for one (coke is actually a favorite household chrome cleaner) but will absolutely make a meal of any of the softer materials, like brass and copper. As said, it'll also verdigris them immensely, very quickly